Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to calculate contribution

• 05-10-2023 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hello everyone. some time ago I received my PRSI records. How should I approach this and count how many contributions I have received? Do I need to add up columns 1 and 4? Some of years I was working and some siting on jobseekers. I'm traveling around EU countries and I would like to find out what it looks like in Ireland. I know that I must have worked for 10 years to get a pension. can anyone tell me how to calculate it. thanks for all the advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Add up all the paid SI conts for pensions.

You need ten years = 520 conts for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The only columns that you are concerned with when it comes to pension age are the one on the far right of the page as you are looking at it, and the column immediately beside it.

So far, you first had a contribution/credit that will be useful in calculating a pension for you in 2005.

18 years later you have a total of 250 contributions/credits in total. You need at least 520 to get even the smallest amount of pension so not even 1:2 way there.

Post edited by TooTired123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I take it that you have worked in some other European countries so far. If you have, you are exempt from the rule that you have to have at least 520 paid contributions to get a part contributory Irish pension. You can use your foreign contributions to bring you over the 10 year line.That way you are guaranteed a portion of the full Irish contributory pension.

The pension we are looking at is called a "pro rata EU pension":

gov.ie - Claiming an EU Pension (www.gov.ie)

State Pension (Contributory) (citizensinformation.ie)

Combining social insurance contributions from abroad (citizensinformation.ie)

Your PRSI record shows that you have paid 216 contributions in Ireland so far. Some of those are class A, others are class S. To qualify for a part pension you need to have at least another 304 contributions in other countries- it does not matter if those contributions come from one or more countries. They must be contributions- not credits. Irish credits will only be taken into account after you can show 520 contributions on records in all participating countries you worked in.Your Irish credited contributions will also be used to calculate your pension. They have the same weight as paid contributions once you passed the 520 contribution line. At the moment you have 129 usable credits. This means you have a total of 345 credits and contributions which gives you a certain percentage of an Irish pension if you can provide the missing contributions from other countries. There may might be an issue with different contribution classes (A and S). I am not sure about the use of class S contributions in an EU pension. There may might be some small print which may might give the thing a different twist.

I am unable to tell you how much you are entitled to. Neither is anyone else here. The person in the DoSP looking at your pension application in the future will be able to tell you.

Take note that there are a lot of changes coming up very shortly in the way the pension is calculated in Ireland. At the moment there are several calculation methods in force- but that will be changed in small steps over the next 11 years.I do not know when you reach pension age- either Irish pension age or the pension age in your native country- or in fact the pension age in any of the countries you ever worked and paid contributions. The payments you are entitled to from each country might kick in in different years. This complicates matters further.

Post edited by hawthorne on

Advertisement