Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting posts

• 05-10-2023 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Occasionally I report a post

We are warned against discussing moderation on threads and so I want to ask here is it OK to inform the thread that I have reported the post?

I generally just post a post immediately following (or perhaps quoting) the post in question with "Reported"

Is that OK?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why bother? I don't see what it achieves. Just report and move on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Don't, no good can come of that. It'll either derail the thread, invite abuse, invite attempts to report your posts in retaliation, or maybe be seen as an attempt to intimidate another user.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is backseat moderation. Mods are here to determine if a post or poster warrants action. Posters saying they have reported something are pre-judging the mod. And if one does it, then others do it, and the discussion is about another user rather than the actual topic

I am not suggesting it is the case here, but when posters see they can do that they can then start doing it maliciously about posters who may simply have different opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

OK .Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's very irritating when a poster announces they've reported a post or put someone on ignore.

It reminds me of squabbling toddlers throwing a tantrum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement