Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Fertilizer Stains from Patio Slabs

Options
  • 05-10-2023 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Unfortunately got some fertilizer on parts of the patio paving slabs.

Slabs are granite & light in colour, however, now lots of orange rust marks on the slabs due to the iron from the fertilizer

Anybody have experience with something that works to remove the stains?

Google tells you to try white vinegar or lemon mix but then reports from people that it didn't work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

The same thing happened to me with 4 in 1 (lawn feed/weed killer and moss killer). Lots of ugly rust stains on limestone slabs. It’s the moss killer does it.

it wore off eventually - it took several months. I just use plain lawn feed now, no moss killer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A 1:1 mix of water and vinegar sprayed on it can sometimes sort it. Try on a small area first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackChapman234

Not allowing me to post a link but search for Rust Ex. Great product

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Net-trol might do it https://www.owatrol.ie/product/net-trol/ check the comments/reviews of the product.

But sit down before you check the price.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭chrisd2019

Vinegar will work, as the acid effectivly removes the strained stone layer on top. But it needs time to work and the stronger the acid the better. Phosphoric acid based gel toilet cleaner is another option. Do use suitable ppe gloves, glasses ect. and do a small spot first. the deeper the fertilizer penetrated the longer it will take to remove.

• Advertisement
Advertisement