Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Transaction Fees Imminent

• 05-10-2023 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

A lot of noise made in the area about BOI removing their own standalone ATMs from The Square, Paddy Holohan etc and a potential protest outside the branch, not sure if it materalised.

Brinks charge 3.95 for their ATMs if issued by a non Irish card, incl Revolut. Non-bank ATM operators now operate the majority of ATMs in the state, worrying developments regarding the free access to cash in lots of areas with the fee-free moratorium coming to an end. Government instructing public services to take cash, lots of development in the area coming I think.

Comments

Wouldn’t revolut be an Irish card though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cards show as Lithuanian (I think) even with an Irish IBAN, and hence can be hammered by the non-bank ATM operators

ATMs don't make money unless you ride foreign card users on either fees or dynamic currency conversion (or both); banks didn't want to be associated with doing either.

Suppose in fairness Revolut isn’t really chasing the cash loving market anyway, I’d say most folks with Revolut as a daily driver scarcely use atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't use cash as a general thing - but there's times it is needed. And my current account is with an absolutely Irish registered institution who have zero ATMs, so if we do ever get fees for domestic cards outside of bank ATMs I'm fucked. However I had some idea that it wasn't allowed for domestic cards - searching is giving me nothing there.

There's four groups with sizeable enough current account bases and limited or zero ATMs - two groups of credit unions (a tiny number of credit unions have ATMs), An Post and EBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

4165 BINs seem to come up as originating in all sorts of countries, except Ireland. Interesting to note that according to the 2021 Retail Banking Review appears to mention VISA/MasterCard typically prohibit domestic ATM fees unless they're clearly legislated for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,099 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I never use cash anymore. I actively avoid places that are cash only. There's an AIB and a BOI in my local town with branded atms inside and outside for cash withdrawal and lodgement 24 hours a day.

Advertisement