Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHD Demo channels .

• 05-10-2023 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why they have disappeared?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Just noticed this too. I guess few were able to access and they couldn’t be tuned on a sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah gone in the same week I just got my first UHD TV lol. I just checked on kingofsat and it shows them on their usual frequency. So dunno what's up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

It doesnt look like UHD is ever going to be a broadcast format , 1080i looks to be the hard limit of commercial affordability in terms of live broadcasting.

I watch almost exclusively UHD HDR content , unless Im looking at live sports , and that mostly comes via on demand apps like disney + , Apple , Netflix etc.

That seems to be the way most view these days , what they want , when they want , and the days of waiting for a scheduled broadcast with ad breaks are for the minority or those who cant get their head around tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yet QVC can afford to run 2 shopping channels on 19E in 4K or "Fashion TV" on 13E.

NASA UHD is FTA on 13E with beautiful but repetitive shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

So you mean about 30% of the population so or maybe even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Which just illustrates my point , UHD has been around a long time , and of the hundreds of channels available , the amount of iive channels broadcast in the format can be counted on one hand.

On demand app based content however , is almost entirely 2160p in HDR , and major sporting events come in that format via simultaneous " red button" or on demand streams whilst the actual broadcast remains 1080i or 1080p if UK terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

QVC UHD on 19.2 is showing as having an average bitrate of 20.1Mb/s - so the same as 3 good quality HD channels.

It certainly does look like broadcasters are happy enough with leaving the majority of the 4K content to their on demand streaming services.

Advertisement