Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea's for Wildflower Flower Bed during Winter

Options
  • 06-10-2023 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a large flower bed in front of my house that for the past 2 years had perennial wildflowers. They look really great during the summer but once they're cut back in Autumn it means the bed consists of just grass for a substantial part of the year.

I'm a bit lost for ideas of what I could put in the bed for the rest of the year. Obviously, I cannot dig or plant as the wildflowers are perennial. I could potentially put in something in pots that could be placed there in winter and moved in spring/summer.

Any ideas to add a bit of greenery besides grass to this space for 6+ months of the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's the nature of the beast for wildflower areas to look bare or 'untidy' in winter.

A decent example here

The Wildflower Meadow in Winter - What Does it Look Like? - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Maybe plant some bulbs? We turned the front lawn into a wildflower patch which gets cut once a year. Faced with the problem you describe I planted lots of bulbs - crocus, grape hyacinth, anenome, narcissi, tulip, allium - so it looks nice from February onwards.

Advertisement