Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit

• 06-10-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Folks, just wondering if somebody can educate me here. I am currently recovering from an operation on my knee and I am receiving €220 illness benefit a week into my account. It’s in my employers policy to apply for this illness benefit while I recover from this operation and to have it paid into my own account. I will also receive full salary while I am out recovering as my employer operate a sick pay scheme (up to 6 months I believe)I will be out of work approximately 10/12 weeks. Can someone explain how this will work as surely I should not receive both illness benefit and full wages. I know there are tax implications from reading up about it but still not 100% sure how it works.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You should advise your manager / payroll of the amounts received and they are then deducted from your salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You filled up the illness benefit form and you had the option in that form to either have it paid to yourself or paid to your employer.

So if you have chosen to have it paid to your employer then they will simply use the 220 to make up your weekly basic wage.

If you chose to have it paid to yourself then they will pay you your basic wage less the 220.

You’re absolutely correct in saying that you won’t have the wages and the Illness benefit.

It’s quite usual too that you won’t get any of the bonuses or allowances that you get with your normal weeks wages while you are on your employers sick pay scheme.

There’s a 3rd option where you will receive the 220 and get your full basic wage too and then when you return to work your employer will issue you with a demand for all the illness benefit you were paid and follow that up with a notice that that amount will be deducted from your wages over a period of 3 months.

I would urge you to contact your employer to find out which of these scenarios they employ as it can be quite a shock to go back to work and find out that you owe (in your case) €2600.

There’s no point in contacting IB about it. They pay you your €220 in the way you requested and have no further interest in what happens from there.

Payroll at your employers will be able to tell you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sean9876

Are my employer not aware of how much as they will be issued an RPN from revenue. It’s seems strange that I would notify them and what I mean by that is would it not have to be told to them by some department in revenue rather than by me…..

Thanks @TooTired123 ya the policy states that I am to tick the box that I receive the illness benefit into my own account (thought this was strange) but I’ll know more anyways when my next wage slip comes through at the end of the month. Thanks

I’ve edited my post I think since you read it. Give it another look.

• Advertisement

Sound job. Thanks for that @TooTired123 . I was gona buy a robot lawnmower with all the additional funds hahahah

Fat lot of good your robot lawnmower would be when you owe the boss a couple of 1000!🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement