Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup

Options
  • 06-10-2023 5:49pm

Now that the dust has settled, is it worth having a conversation on how and why you would change the format to improve the event ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Care to provide any opinions yourself as the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I think having six wildcard picks is wrong, go back to the top 12 on OOM qualify with perhaps a contingency plan if one gets injured/unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

Skins and they bet with their own cash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I think the format is fine tbh. Not a whole lot I'd change.

I'd be totally against a combined Ryder/Solheim event though. Personally I think it would massively devalue both, make it much harder for fans to get tickets, course set-up would be a nightmare to get right with different landing areas, tees etc. etc. IMHO logistically and practically it just wouldn't work. I don't think the idea passes the "why ?" test. They're both great events in their own right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As a new user do you have any motive not declared for this thread, e.g. research

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Terrible idea, it would completely de-value both. Golf, like tennis is one of the few sports where the women's game can generate an audience on its own. Its very competitive and of a high quality.

Simply looking for peoples thoughts on the Ryder Cup in general. It appears to have become more like a Europe/USA war than a sporting event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭newport2

1 10 Qualifying places and two captain's picks. Picks should be to cover for someone previously injured or temporary loss of form.

2 Less control over course by home team (neutral body to set up course?) Home advantage is enough.

3 Every player to play on each day (or a min of three matches overall for each player)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5 games instead of 4 games out on the course for each 4some and 4ball session.

It's good for everyone. Players get to play more, more for broadcasters to show, organisers can increase volume of ticket sales by 10/15% as fans more spread out.

I guess that keeping 4 players in the clubhouse was originally because the B&I (and early European) sides had less depth vis a vis the USA, so it levelled the contest a little. Not such a factor nowadays.

Only minor downside is that the extra 2 points on Friday and Saturday might make the margin so wide that there's no possibility of a Sunday comeback.

I think these 3 elements are all part of the RC process that differentiate it, we all remember why Europe lost a RC when the Captain left them on the bench until Sunday singles so that was poor strategy. Capt should determine course layout, again part of RC, they get to do it, we get to do it so equalises and part of strategy. I agree on 1, the number of picks on the Euro side was too much, I feel for anyone one spot off qualifying only to lose out to dubious picks...

And there should be published Financials to keep everything transparent, money in, money out and full detail per team...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭newport2

The last 5 Ryder Cups have all been won by the home team by at least 5 points. I think it's better viewing if the results are closer. It was suggested on a program I heard that home advantage and course layout gives too much of an advantage to the home side. I think they have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I agree the viewing is a lot better when its closer, but I'd slightly argue that those matches were actually a lot closer in reality than the scores suggest, probably apart from Whistling Straits. Even in Rome, at one point on Sunday it looked fairly tough for Europe to get across the line. The two teams are usually so evenly matched its not much more than a putt dropping here or there that separates them. Plus if there are a couple of matches on the course when the result is known, they're basically meaningless and unless there's a grudge, neither player will be too bothered about the result.

Not sure if its the same progeam, but I think (very much open to correction) it was on the Captain's Dinner thing that Sky did with Nick Dougherty hosting McGinley, Bjorn and Monty, they alluded to not actually doing much with the course set-up and more or less leaving it alone and up to the groundstaff. I think McGinley said he didn't do anything to Gleneagles and I'm fairly sure Bjorn said they set up Le Golf National pretty much exactly the same as for a French Open. I've no issue even if they do, tbh, its all part of home field advantage, but I think personally its a bit overstated. The Americans can't hit fairways - tough. The Europeans can't put on quick greens - tough.

I'd go against the trend a little and be in favour of a good number of picks, at least 4 IMO, especially for Europe with where their best players play. You'd hate to see someone get on the team for essentially turning up each week in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

McGinley and Bjorn said that. Didn’t touch the course as all the European players have played it so why change the set up. Also saying changing it plays into the heads of Americans. Should be less picks. With 6 may as well just pick all 12 at that rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Considering the home team always wins, do people reckon this follows through to home advantage in the majors / on the PGA tour? Having a quick glance at the major winners since 1990 (no particular reason for this year, just had to start somewhere), it does look to me like there's an advantage to playing at home. Since 1990, 30% of Opens were won by Europeans whereas just 19% of US majors were. 60% of US majors were won by Americans vs 48% of Opens. And players from the rest of the world were the same across both (22% vs 21%).

It kind of follows on to wonder, if you had an actual global tour how would the rankings look for the best players in the world. And the majors were spread around the world how dominant would the US players be? Gary Player (always very modest) talks openly about how he feels the majors favoured the Americans due to lack of travel for them. I suspect he's right. And I suspect it's still the case today.

How many non Americans play on pga tour? Gary knows it’s all down to money why it’s not a global tour. Pay them enough and they’ll be there. How much is JT getting paid to go play Gary’s event. You can sure it’s not because he happens to be in South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

100% about the Americans having a big advantage, if 3 majors were played in Ireland every year we'd have alot more major wins.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Plenty of non Americans on the pga. But the majors are a good one to look at when thinking about home advantage because basically all of the golfers you'd consider contenders in a major are playing in all four every year.

The reasons for the PGA tour being almost exclusively in America aren't a mystery. I'm just wondering how much it distorts out view on who the best players in the world are. Would JT or bubba Watson have the same records if they had to play around the world? Might Monty or Westwood have picked up a major if they weren't taking on the Americans on home turf for 3 quarters of them?

But to be honest giving individual examples is probably not the way to look at it. Looking at where the winners came from overall probably gives the truer picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Luke Donald to captain Europe again in 2025!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bizarre

Whatever about picking donald or not. I don’t see the point in announcing him now. Next summer be about right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Risky enough move for him. He could have easily stepped away as a winning captain and got plenty plaudits for years to come. Of course if Europe win again next time it will mean he'll be seen as one of the best captains ever.

Advertisement