Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octavia vs Corolla

• 06-10-2023 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I’m currently driving an Auris hybrid and finding it too small for family needs so I’m torn now between a Corolla Estate 1.8 litre hybrid or an Octavia 1 litre mild hybrid.

Both come with ample boot space which is key to what I’m looking for. Also need room for our toddlers rather large spinning car seat that will give enough leg room to front passengers.

On the Octavia I’m just worried about the small engine for the occasions that we do a drive to UK with 4 in the car and a full boot.

On the Corolla the only negative I have is that it has CarPlay instead of built in Sat Nav. For road trips I use my current built in Sat Nav a lot.

Does anyone have any experience of the 1 litre Octavia? Or any experience of the reliability of Waze or Apple Maps via CarPlay?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

A diesel Octavia? That's what i'd be buying if those were my needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That 1.8 litre engine Toyota use is designed specifically for use with a hybrid system, it's totally reliable and is capable of high mileage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is this review still useful/relevant? the octavia reviewed is very light; i've a 2012 1.2Tsi which has less power and is heavier and it's been fine.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/skoda/octavia/10-tsi-s-5dr/first-drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nonie_1982

I don’t really do the mileage for diesel. We do max 2 road trips to UK per year. Other than that it’s local driving to shops and occasional commute of about 20km but I mostly work from home or take public transport into town

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nonie_1982

Thank you @magicbastarder thats very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had the non-mild hybrid 1.0 110hp TSI in a Golf for 5 years.

I drove it across Ireland several times including Dublin to Mayo with 3 adults and a boot full of wine for a wedding. No hassle cruising along or overtaking at 120kph. Long drives would easily see 5.2-5.5L/100km. The engine has full torque and on turbo at 2,000rpm so you don't need to work that hard for power and are flooring it everywhere.

The platform the Octavia is on is fairly light so a modern 1.0 turbo petrol is perfectly adequate, it's also a bit quicker than the Auris for comparison.

I'm 6'4 and can fit in the passenger seat of the Golf with a Cosatto All in All swivel baby seat, the Octavia has a bit more leg room in the rear over the Golf so shouldn't be an issue.

Advertisement