Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT failure reason

• 06-10-2023 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I had a major fail on NCT today due to the condition of the driver side tyre.

The failure reason was “repair plug in area outside central 3/4 of tread pattern”.

can anyone explain what exactly this means? I bought the is car second hand about a year ago and this is the first NCT I have had with it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Get a new tyre for your own safety. That's the key message I would take from that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sounds like the tyre was punctured on the "side wall" and a repair that is allowable on the part of the tyre that is contact with the road was used to repair it.

It's a possible blow out waiting to happen so a new tyre is needed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭JP 1800

Basically your tyre was repaired previously and according to the nct examination is not a satisfactory repair hence, unsafe to use. You need to replace the tyre, ideally replace both on the same axle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

NCT manual will give you clarity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Previous puncture repair is located in a position close to the side wall of the tyre that is considered dangerous and could result in a blow out. Because of the location of the puncture it should never have been repaired, the tyre should have been replaced instead.

Replace the tyre asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Inside the 3/4 area is safe to plug, outside risks a blowout.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Leinster D

Thanks all. Very prompt responses and helpful. This tyre actually was going softer and needed a pump every 3-4 months while the others only needed it once last twice a year. Not sure if this was the reason or not?

do places like atlas so full car service, including just NCT repairs, or so they just focus on NCT repairs ?

thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You need to go with brand new tyres.

The other reason they are failing people ... if you have an internal combustion engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You may have a slow puncture, it could be the plug is leaking air at a very slow rate due to it's dangerous location. To be honest I'd be getting rid of that tyre immediately. It's not fit for purpose and dangerous to you, your passengers and other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Repairs don't come into it, you need a new tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Atlas garages do servicing as well as selling tyres so you can get your new tyre (s) and service in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭peter4918

Best just get a new tyre or two and be done with it. Tyres are one thing I won’t ever skimp on again. I did once upon a time and it was a learned learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Leinster D

Thank you everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Don't let a tyre fitter anywhere near your engine. Go to a properly trained mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Advertisement