Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the Gardai rights or obligations?

Options
  • 06-10-2023 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Situation: I drived in Dublin city below speed limit (have limiter, so I couldn't possibly speeding) but because it's electric car, it have much stronger acceleration than ordinary ICE car.

Passed crossroad right when yellow light appear, but at that moment I was too far, so I couldn't hit breaks like crazy and stop in the middle of crossroads. But another car behind me definitely passed that crossroads on RED lights.

I passed two another traffic lights (normally) when that same car behind me suddenly show blue flashing lights. So I stopped and curious, what happens.

Believe or not, two young ladies in Adidas jumpsuits step out and asking me where I'm hurry. Honestly, they looked more like hookers, than like Gardai officers.

They asked my driving licence and arguing I was speeding.

Discussion was short, because I show them I have speed limiter, then I pointed with finger to my dashcam and said I have two, including rear camera and recording real speed with GPS precision.

It was clearly visible in sudden change of her face expression that she realised she did mistake.

She said "ok, you may not goes overspeed, but you passed crossroads on yellow light so you should slow down".

"I'm sorry but I was too far to stop, when yellow light appear, but that reminds me if I passed yellow light, you must passed on red light, correct?"

Her face turn even more stiff, she just said that please be careful and drive slower, returned back my driving licence and disappeared in hurry.

My first thought was "WTH was that???", but only now, much later when I have time to recall whole situation and details, I think they acted wrongly, or (dare to say) unlawfully.

So my question is: Was they real Gardai officers at all?

And if so, can Gardai officer behave THAT way? Can they stop another car anytime anywhere, bullying other drivers and clearly break road rules while doing that? Can they do some investigation or ask for driving licence anytime without identifying themselves? Like when they're not in duty? Can they do their duties dressed in jumpsuits/joggers?

I think they should follow some rules and policies. At least be properly dressed, or identify themselves with badge or such, in case they're not wearing uniform etc.

Post edited by DanielGates on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭tphase

Were they wearing their hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DanielGates

What hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

and their numbers, always get a bean's number.

i love riding bean gards, they are fooooking animals.

Advertisement