Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I had a quick search and he doesn't appear to be in the current govt, but it appears to be a widely held expectation.

Expected by whom, as the guy appears to be a mad crank of the highest order. I can't ever see him ever being elected to public office, so to call him a politician, is a label he put on himself.

Ah, here it is.

Yea, I am sure he is going to get far with 0.01% of the vote for his "Bible Bloc Party".

4.76 million people voted in the 2022 Kinneset election. Only 411 voted for Dennis Lipkin.

So, I'll repeat. Who is expecting him to be not only elected but also a government minister?

But Egypt wouldn't as they were not complicit in.

Best take that up with @Donald Trump as he explicitly stated, that any nation that grants Palestinians refuge is complicity in helping Israel.

I would say that under no circumstance should other states facilitate Israel's genocide and ethnic cleansing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

their genocide has caused them to lose a lot of their forces on the ground as the IDF are a badly trained army at the best of times.

special forces teams don't always have huge numbers so chances are the losses would be a lot lower if they acted like grownups instead of committing genocide.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭thereiver

Look on guardian.co.uk opinion theres an article today. It says Biden could simply call the government and tell them to declare a ceasefire and allow aid supply's food water medicine to be supplied to Gaza .eg the Idf can only continue the war with the help of military and financial support from America

Israel would run out of bombs and missiles very soon if it could not get help from America

This has happened before if you look thru the history of middle east wars involving Israel

Biden has the power to force a ceasefire through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Advertisement

Settlers gonna settle, ICJ hearing testimony (including Ireland's AG) and democrats ask Biden to ramp up efforts.

Dozens of settlers from the West Bank settlement of Yitzhar threw stones and tried to torch several houses in the Palestinian village of Asira al-Qibliya, according to an Israeli security official. Israeli security forces were dispatched to the village, but no arrests were made.

At the ongoing International Court of Justice hearing on Israel's occupation of Palestinian territories, China said the occupation was illegal.

Thirteen Jewish House Democrats urged U.S. President Biden to redouble his efforts to facilitate a temporary cease-fire, their most pronounced efforts to date.

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan called on the international community to take a more active role towards an urgent cease-fire in Gaza and a two-state solution during talks at the G20 summit in Brazil, a Turkish diplomatic source said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Nope. No idea what you are referring to. Perhaps you have confused me with another poster when you said this?

Yet you objected to me welcoming a coup against him.

Although now it turns out it wasn't a coup - but as it's still not any clearer to me what you're talking about, I can't respond to the claim.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Heard today on the radio that data modelling predicts 85,000 Palestinians will die in the next couple of months from injuries, disease and starvation - particularly children.

So that will be 200,000 dead and injured - 10% of the population of Gaza. On percentages, that'll be 140,000 women and children.

Israel = Genocidal terrorist State. This will stain them forever.

Haaretz:

Israel is seeking Palestinians not affiliated with Hamas to manage civilian affairs in areas designated as testing grounds for a post-war administration in Gaza, according to a senior Israeli official, who added the plan would exclude anybody on the payroll of the Palestinian Authority.

A new U.S. intelligence assessment found it is "likely" that some UNRWA employees took part in Hamas' October 7 assault on Israel, the Wall Street Journal reported, adding that "the U.S. can't verify Israeli allegations that a larger number of UN workers have links to militant groups."

UNRWA has no "plan B" past March should donor countries continue to suspend their funds, the head of UNRWA's Lebanon office said.

A Palestinian man being treated at a Gaza hospital for severe bruising on his face, cuts on his fingers and other injuries said Israeli soldiers beat him with chunks of masonry and chairs after bursting into his home on February 20.

The Hamas-controlled Health Ministry in Gaza said that at least 29,410 Palestinians have been killed and 69,465 wounded since the war began.

Your quote of Trump does not equal what you attribute to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Advertisement

First off, they shouldn't have invoked the Hannibal Directive and used attack helicopters to kill everyone, including their own. IDF is responsible for many of the deaths on 7th Oct.

Second - using 2000lb dumb bombs in a densely populated area was disproportionate and a war crime.

Cutting electricity, denying humanitarian aid and murdering surrendering civilians (including three of their own) is also a war crime.

Murdering 260 babies who were less than 1 year old - war crime. Bulldozing graveyards - war crime.

Stealing and looting - war crime

Letting infants die and decompose in an ICU - war crime.

And they are just a few examples of what the Israeli government has sanctioned and the IDF has carried out.

Do you think the IDF was right to go into Gaza and commit war crimes to the extent that this is genocide?

I suspect you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'Israel' might be a Democracy TM but the Golan Heights and West Bank they illegally occupy, and Gaza which they want to resettle again, exist under Israeli apartheid.

Good luck with that. The Israelis should release Barghouti(?). He is quite popular and not tainted by corruption. He recognises the state of Israel and isn't a jihadi nutbjob either.

He has blood on his hands, but so did YItzhak Shamir, who as we know went on to become the prime minister of Israel.

Post edited by nacho libre on

So that was in response to you saying this:

There should be a coup against Nethanyu.

OK, I'd forgotten that you'd actually called for a coup against Netanyahu.

Yep. I'm not seeing a problem with me replying that if there was a coup against a legally elected government, that would be completely anti democracy. Because it would.

It seems you only support democracy when you like the people who have been elected?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hitler was elected, too, and the Allies forcibly overthrew him, but we love Democracy. And we really didn't like who Germany elected, like, a lot.

Given I retracted what I said previously I don't see the need for this question.

I would be perfectly ok for a heave against him as we saw in Ireland over the years. I won't be sorry if that happens to him given all he has presided over. That would be him getting off lightly indeed.

So the allegation that I was being hypocritical is fine, even though you've since had to step back from the comment I found objectionable ... presumably because you realise how objectionable that comment was?

And your wingman thinks that Hitler was overthrown in a coup by the Allies because they didn't like him.

Well done, both of you.

For clarity: I would be very happy to see Netanyahu removed by legal means and indeed if possible imprisoned. I do not think a coup would be acceptable though. No matter how much I dislike him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭circadian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,062 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Iscreamkone threadban reapplied

• Advertisement

Some are trying to predict the future of Israeli policy in Gaza by only listening to the more extreme of Israeli society. Forgetting that they are not mainstream thinking or even what is coming out of negotiations in regard a post-war Hamas-free Gaza.

Of course, I cannot disprove something in the future but mark my words. The merchants of doom won't be anywhere to be seen when the extreme predictions turn out to be false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭circadian

Harrowing report from MSF.

I await this to be ignored or at best provided with some glib shoulder shrug about how it's all Hamas' fault.

The implication is clear given the context of the post that I linked.

That is, No state should facilitate mass Palestinian refugees as they would be complicit with Israeli 'war-crimes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you might not think it, but you are factually wrong.

the overwhelming evidence, so overwhelming that it would be impossible to counter, shows that israel are guilty of genocide beyond all reasonable doubt, and those who think otherwise are on the wrong side of history and reality.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

IDF is responsible for many of the deaths on 7th Oct.

I've seen this tidbit before.

How many deaths are the IDF responsible for and has this been independently verified and confirmed?*

*the reason I ask this is that there is a Oct 7th denialism movement out there with people making all kinds of wild statements with little to no proof of claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭TokTik

So basically don’t listen to what the Israelis say it’s just conjecture, except when they lie about Palestine, that’s all true.

Ouch!

On the point he raised about Hitler being elected, well it's a half-truth of course as the reality of Hitler's rise to power is a lot more complicated than that.

I bow before your mind reading skills. What can I say.

😂

(A coup is a coup, and that's what you said. Personally, not being so gifted at mind reading as you, I reacted to what you said, not something else entirely that you actually meant. Sorry about that.)

Yeah but also, and importantly here, the Allies did not "remove Hitler from power" just because they didn't like him - they responded militarily after he invaded Poland, with whom they had previous alliance commitments.

Slight difference compared to the claim that the Allies only liked democrats they agree with and had no problem with overthrowing any they disliked, rather than fighting back when attacked.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't by any chance have links to the views expressed by "moderate" Israelis or those with more "mainstream" thinking?

I've honestly seen very few reports in the last four months of any mainstream Israeli party advocating a two-state solution, ending the war etc.

Given the current trajectory of Israel's actions, the only way extreme predictions will turn out to be false are if Israel is forced to cease and desist by the international community, particularly the US. And just prior to Oct 7th, it is known that Israel commenced the largest land grab in the West Bank. Ever.

You may think those predicting "doom" are misguided but if there is one thing this campaign has taught the world, it is that Israel is well and truly capable of perpetrating horrors not seen in over 80 years. I doubt anyone predicted on October 8th that four months later, the world would be looking at a genocidal state perpetrating a horrific retribution and raining down terror on a civilian population, especially women and children. And see Israel for what it is - a genocidal terrorist state.

You don't seriously believe that before the end of the year the Palestinians will be gazing on sunlit uplands and getting back to normality?

Advertisement