Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lets just wait and see

Let's just wait and see Weepsie, OK? For sure the entire Muslim world (admittedly, that's not the entire world, but still) is angry and offended by what Israel has done and is doing to Palestinians. There will be major backlash by them to that, and it has started already with the Houthi's attacking shipping in the Red Sea, sinking one and killing 3 sailors. This ship was carrying 41'000 ton of Fertiliser and Oil, and is causing an ecological disaster in the Red Sea. This is just the beginning of the Islamic reaction, but as well we have the universal reaction of all normal and civilized people calling for all kinds of sanctions etc, on Israel. So wait and see who is right, shall we? Oh, and another thing, kindly stop dictating what I may or not post, OK? I don't tell you what you can (or cannot) post, moderator or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,149 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another murder after they gave the Israelis the coordinates ?? Hamas in the flour bags excuse forthcoming.

"Today's attack on one of the very few remaining UNRWA distribution centres in the Gaza Strip comes as food supplies are running out, hunger is widespread and, in some areas, turning into famine," said UNRWA chief Philippe Lazzarini.

He also said the UN had shared coordinates of the facility with the Israeli army on Tuesday.

An UNRWA spokeswoman said the facility was used "to distribute much-needed food and other lifesaving items to displaced people in southern Gaza".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It has been clear for a good while now that one of Israel's deliberate strategies is to starve the Palestinians to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Cordell

They are merely affirming that Palestinians have the right to be protected from genocide, and NOT claiming that Israel is committing genocide or that the accusation is plausible. You neet to stop lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Do you remember when Assad was bombing hospitals. His excuse was similiar to that of the IDF. The Russians have similiar excuses in Ukraine. You would not pass off their crimes as just the horrors of war. You would lay the blame where it lay, but you can't with Israel because they can do no wrong from your perspective. The ICJ in not throwing the case against Israel out must not be as certain as you are that it's not genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's a court case. South Africa took a case against Israel and presented evidence it felt constituted genocide. Israel presented evidence to defend the claim.

The court rules that SA's case was plausible and it will be heard at a later date. It's the equivalent of pre trial hearings, if the judges feel it's a made up case with insufficient evidence etc... the case is dismissed.

The ICJ never did and never would make a ruling that Israel have committed genocide, they need a full trial for that. The judges found the case SA presented before the court plausible. If the judges didn't find SA's claim of Israel committing genocide plausible the case would have been kicked out.

I''ll repeat my views and reasoning Weepsi. Here goes:- Since 2005, when Hamas took control of Gaza, and started attacking Israel with missiles etc, and of course, with Israel responding basically tit for tat (except that Israel tended to return them on a ratio of 2 (or more) to 1, it became so common place, that it barely got a mention in the media. Until Oct 7, when it became the most reported event in the world for a while. BINGO, exactly what Hamas wanted and planned for, massive revulsion targetted at Israel, Muslim countries united in their anger and hatred of Israel, cutting economic ties,( and for sure, giving Jews a hard time to say the least of it!) Other non-Islamic Country's denouncing Israel, and threatening sanctions etc. And Weepsie, all of this is happening, and it will get worse. We have already seen the mass protests in European Cities, Wait until the Jihadis call for mass protests in Islamic Country's, demanding that their governments and Muslims in the west take "action" against not only Israel, but their "supporters" in the west too. And Weepsi,in my opinion it will get worse. Much worse for Israel (and the west too!)

Now now now. You are the one lying. Can you not read it? I gave you the link.

Why do you think that such supposed experts made such a basic error? When a regular board.ie poster such as yourself can immediately know they are wrong? Never mind legal training - some people know things are wrong because of .... feelings??????

And why did the ICJ lie and put up a decision on their own ICJ website, as if to pretend that the ICJ put up a decision on their own ICJ website? Was it just to trick regular people like me? Not everyone is as lucky to have people like yourself available to point out that the decision doesn't say what it actually does say.

I think where the confusion lies is that the decision is written using words, and people who can read, will read those words, and mistakenly conclude that they say what they say, when in reality, if you do it the correct way and don't read them, you will find out that they don't say what they do say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Except that Israel is home to nearly half of the worlds Jews, is the worlds only Jewish state, and has been attacked by its neighbours continuously throughout its history.

Anyone who calls for the sanctioning of Israel is siding with its enemies. Iran, Hamas, PIJ, the Houthis, Hezbollah, Islamic State etc.

• Advertisement

You don't get to make up the rules SeanW.

Although you may or may not be able to process it in you own mind, it is perfectly possible to simultaneously have the opinion that maybe Israel shouldn't be committing genocide against innocent women and kids in Gaza, while also having the opinion that ISIS probably weren't a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The EU have said today that Israel is using starvation as a weapon against civilians. Surely that deserves sanctions.

The Israelis are going to move 1.4 million people into 'islands' within Gaza. Sounds suspiciously like the concentration of 'human animals' within camps. Where have we seen this sort of thing before

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

They were caught red handed razing fields of crops during the limited cease fire.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The biggest problem here jmreire is that in your view this was started by Hamas in 2005. Whereas anyone who wants to look into this even a little bit will soon find out that Israel were building illegal settlements in 1967.

Did you know that it was also 1967 that Israel effectively aparthied'ed TF out of the water supply there too? Image.

Making it illegal to harvest the water falling from the sky so you and your family can just live with some dignity.

How come nobody is whinging about all the sanctions against Russia. Blatant discrimination against followers of the Russian Orthodox Church. Given that the population mainly follows that religion and almost 90% of its followers live there.

Yes, Iamstop, I'm fully aware of what has been going on there prior to Oct7, and I'm neither trying to excuse it or deny it. I fully understand the principles of cause and effect. The point that I'm trying to make is that Oct7 is a watershed moment, it has changed everything. Bit like Sept 11th. Everything since 2005 has been leading up to this, and now everything is changed, utterly changed. That's my point, not to argue who did what to who, so far there's 33511 comments covering that. And nothing will ever be the same again I believe, and the backlash has just begun. And I believe that this outcome was Hamas's plan. For me, that's the sheer mechanics of it, and not assigning blame, excuses or approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Will be interesting to see the Hamas reaction to this given how they shield themselves using innocent civilians. If they try to stop the people from leaving, that would truly be a genocide on their part. If they let the people leave, then they are trapped in an enclosed area and really at the mercy of indiscriminate bombing. The situation for them is truly bleak.

The only rational decision for Hamas is to release the hostages and work out a surrender deal. Unfortunately we're not dealing with rational people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I don't think there is any doubt that hamas is interested in protecting its own people, they are thugs, or surrendering to the Israelis themselves or the hostages. I'm not sure why posters are pushing this narrative as a likely solution given what has happened so far.

Interesting that you acknowledge that if Hamas don't let the people in Rafah leave that they may be a genocide. Usually Israeli supporters tend to shy away from that phrase.

Ah yes. more IDF gaslighting. I find it amazing how many gullible people are so willing to gobble it up.

Reminds me of the one a few months back when they helpfully suggested that a million or so refugees could move to something like a 1km x 1km stretch of wilderness waste ground ...... and then bombed it anyway.

Battered wife syndrome. Just explain to them why it's actually their fault that you are beating and killing them. Or even better still, convince yourself why they deserve it.

A more rational decision for Hamas via-a-vis the hostages would be to execute them. It would expose the lie that the Israelis are only committing their genocide to get them back. And if the Israelis were actually being truthful (if such a thing were hypothetically possible) then it removes their claimed motivation for the ongoing genocide.

Civilians aren't supposed to be used as human shields, it's a war crime and forbidden according to the Geneva Convention. If Hamas attempt to prevent civilians from evacuating to a safe zone, then they are a party to genocide.

• Advertisement

A more rational decision for Hamas via-a-vis the hostages would be to execute them.

The mask slips.

"I don't support Hamas, but I am for them killing innocent hostages".

Party to a genocide perpetrated by the Israelis then? I think the West should work to prevent the deaths then.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

You keep repeating this over and over and over, playing this as the poor Israel card as if what has happened over the course of its existence was not inevitable. So let me try again as you completely ignored my last post on this.

It was the Zionists choice to try and set up a state in lands already occupied. They knew the consequences they would face, and just in case there was any doubt, the Crane-King commission of 1920 laid it out in plain writing, it was a bad idea that would lead to bloodshed and they would be better of looking for somewhere else to settle. The Zionists were always fully aware that the creation of any state would be soaked in bloodshed, but they were willing to pay that price. Foolishly the British backed them in their project, then realised belatedly it was going to be a disaster as predicted, passed the buck to the UN who solidified an already bad situation with their partition plan. It was inevitable that Israel would be attacked as the British and subsequently UN completely ignored the wishes ot the majority of the population. You make your bed and you lie in it, the Zionists always knew the risks so they can hardly play the poor little victim now.

Post edited by Fr D Maugire on

If Israel makes an attempt to move enemy non combatant's to a safe area where humanitarian aid is made available but it's Hamas who prevents that, then it's Hamas who are responsible for any war crimes.

You said it would make hamas a party to genocide. That suggests there is another party ie. Israel. At least you admit it will be genocide I suppose. Hopefully you don't support it when it happens then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,149 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israel is committing war crimes since Oct 7th. They are no better than Hamas, make no mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's a war crime to bomb civilians that are being used as human shields. So there's two options here.

If Hamas are using civilians as human shields then Israel is committing war crimes every-time they try to bomb Hamas.

If Hamas aren't using civilians as human shields, then Israel is just bombing civilians which is a war crime.

So, are Israel committing war crimes or are Israel committing war crimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"A more rational decision for Hamas via-a-vis the hostages would be to execute them. It would expose the lie that the Israelis are only committing their genocide to get them back."

Rational?

What dictionary are you using for that definition? Would you advocate for them to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

True, Donald said it. Nice slipperiness though. I suggest you let him answer the question put to him.

• Advertisement

Its not entirely clear what the pro israeli argument is regarding the hostages. If they are returned should Israel be forced to stop killing civilians in the tens of thousands, or is this still okay to continue? If in that scenario they are also waiting on Hamas to surrender then they may be supporting the killing of civilians for god knows when.

Advertisement