Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Now Australia follows suit.. Its been how many weeks now and still no concrete evidence from Israel.

Australia to resume funding to UN's main Palestinian relief agency | Reuters

No evidence from Israel to back UNRWA accusations, says EU humanitarian chief | Reuters

Also seems like the tide is turning in the US - doesnt mean Gantz if elected in would have a diff stance. However, I've also seen many protests in Israel recent regarding the hostages and now conscription for the Ultra-Orthadox. News that bibi has approved the plans for Rafah, its worrying to think of what shape/form that may take.

Schumer calls for new elections in Israel, criticizes Netanyahu | Reuters

Thousands in Israel protest for hostages release, conscription of ultra-Orthodox | Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There was plenty on here calling for UNWRA to be defunded, they didn't seem to require evidence at all. Just the IDF's pinky promise.

It was all a knee jerk reaction, we had seen the same right after Oct 7, with foreign aid to Palestine being called to be cut off.

Any sane person would need to take everything Israel says with bucket of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bob Marley Park

Sorry, when the three, shirtless, waving a white flag, Israeli hostages were gunned down by the IDF, it was clear to me they shoot first, deny later.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,149 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Demonising Israel ? They're doing it extraordinary well themselves. What amazes me is that someone could get so upset over a dodgy link yet fail to comment on the murders of nearly 23,000 women and children. No condemnation from you at all. Talk about priorities.

• Advertisement

Just put yourself in the shoes of the defenceless women and children now.

• What an absolute wally of a woman, she has no understanding of geo politics if she thinks Hamas will be a better ally than Israel. Israel is the only democracy in that region, that is similar to the western world, we should be supporting it. https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0315/1438044-ministers-us-visit-latest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No, this "only democracy in the ME" and "they are really just like us [in the West/in Europe], we should support them in their wars vs Arab/Muslim 'savages'" point in Israel's favour seems to be done now, and should be retired.

They are just another vicious ME basket case, down in the muck with the rest in that region.

Their military and how it behaves in Gaza seems to bear comparison to the Russian army rubbleising and butchering Ukraine.

I think the religious nut % of the population (as intolerant as Islamists) is rising too, so there is little hope for a better future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"Israel is the only democracy in that region, that is similar to the western world"

Can you give a few examples?

What kind of "democracy" rules over occupied land and doesn't give the inhabitants a vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Economics101

How can my criticism of certain aspects of Russian boycotts (i.e cultural) be a different standard from my criticism of an Israeli boycott (also cultural)? Now sanctions against Russian Oil and Gas, and sanctions against Israeli settlers are a different thing altogether: I'm in favour of them both

• Gaza and west bank are self ruled by Palestinians. Israel has no interest in ruling over them. It's only in Gaza now because of the terrorists attacks. They can never become their own country because they will import WMD from Iran and attack Israel. The surrounding countries are practically dictatorships. Alot of the countries are dependent on their oil reserves to be rich. Israel built it's fortune on intellect, developing businesses, developing trade. Only free socities are capable of innovation. Instead of the other countries realising this, they instead hate Israel for its success, sigh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,135 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How do they approximately 750k Israelis get on in the West Bank living under only Palestinian rule then? Do they get a vote in its elections? They must support the Palestinian Authority fairly strongly

Yet all the mainstream media with it's fake news would lead you to believe that the IDF patrol and controls the West Bank. Must be all AI generated fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is almost impossible to limit casualties in such a small area surrounded by civilian's Hamas are well aware of this. It is part of their strategy to get international sympathy and the locals back on their side.

There is an argument that Israel going in hard will prevent future foolish recklessness from Hamas, causing chaos to their organisation. Causing loss of civilian life in the short term but saving it in the long term.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo meeting the man who is funding the genocide in Gaza.

That's Irish hypocrisy for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The Palestinian people are receiving sympathy, not Hamas. And they should receive that as Israel is not actijg reckless it is acting in a bloodthirsty manner. You are deluded if you think causing tens of thousands of civilians in the short term doesn't lead to long term violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

That is the sort of argument the British army had in Derry in 1972. That worked out well!

What is about to happen in Rafah is the culmination of colonialism and the subjugation and dehumanisation of the native population. Colonial projects always end up genocidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

The problem with this is that Israel was attacked when it had left-wing leaders too, as per the time Ehud Olmert led Israel from 2006-2009. Netanyahu isn't an obstacle to peace, the occupant of the office of the Prime Minister of Israel is totally irrelevant. Israel will be attacked continuously so long as it exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

israel is not a democracy, it is not similar to the western world and whe not only should not be supporting it.

we should be bankrupting it and sanctioning it to hell.

it is a threat to us all and to the middle east, all of the issues in the middle east stem from it and it's funding of international terrorism.

it is a genocidal, racist, apartheid state which needs to be forced back within it's original borders and hemmed in.

neither are good allys.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement

the west bank is brutally occupied by israel with illegal settlements built and being built, and the settlers allowed to behave like savages against the natives, meaning it is ruled by israel.

gaza is under a brutal blockade which is a form of occupation, meaning ultimately israel have an interest in ruling both as they have stated it's what they want and they are genociding gaza first before genociding the west bank.

if israel can be a cuntry dispite importing weapons of mass destruction from america and britain, dispite being an expansionist apartheid genocidal state, then so can palestine.

if palestine imports weapons of mass destruction from iran, that is not a problem seeing as it will be a deterrent to the expansionist israel and if they were to attack israel, it will be because israel have provoked them.

israel built it's fortunes via american money, which was gained via imotional blackmail in 1967.

this is all incorrect.

israel are deliberately targeting civilians including slaughtering their own people who were hostages of hamas.

their claimed objectives have all failed, hamas is stronger and the hostages who were not released in the last round or who have not been killed are still hostages.

slaughtering and raping won't prevent anything in the long term against israel, nothing or nobody has been saved, it has failed and the world are seeing it for the terrorist basket case that it really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surely that goes double for Israel who place their military in occupied territories and residential areas??

Isreal have already have had variously withdrawals over various times. Ironically the Israel army being compared to Nazi's by their some of their own citizen's back in 2005 for example.

Yet here we are nearly 20 years later with Hamas lighting another flame literally. It is hardly conducive to peace is it?

Personally I think there is ALWAY's going to be an element on either side in the Hamas/Israel conflict who thrive on violence. It gives them purpose.

All Hamas has done is give Israel justification for their actions. Basically it has given Israel a chance to go for a good clear out. Personally, if I was in Gaza it would not be the Israelis I would be blaming. But instead, those geniuses in Hamas that are supposedly supposed to be representing the Palestine people.

Unless you can tell me of some logical outcome that Hama's attack on Israel was supposed to achieve something? What has it achieved?

A new thread on boards.ie, death destruction, and some Irish people waving Palestine flags from a safe distance? That's great that will REALLY make a difference....

If Irish people want to support this Hamas ideology and really believe in it, why don't they travel over there and sign up? People could bring Richard Boyd Barrett etc as well while they are are at it. Instead of just wearing the Palestinian keffiyeh scarf like some hipster fashion item.

Not only did you fail to address my post you doubled down justifying Israeli war crimes. All the while laying everything at the feet of Hamas while failing to acknowledge anything Israel has done to “light a fire”

I encourage you to look up news from the months and years prior to October 7 and climb out of your memory hole.

Nothing Hamas does justifies annexation, war crimes, illegal settlements, raiding religious centers, terrorizing civilians, killing children, killing journalists, raping kids in lockup - shall I continue? You’re not worth the effort. Loves a Nazi waving an Israeli flag. “A good clear out” shame on you.

So Hamas has done is not a crime is it? It is all completely one sided. Those thousands of rockets, kidnapping, use of bulldozers, hang gliders. All that of that was a bit of craic was it?

What did Hamas think was going to happen?

What did you think was going happen?

A party is it?

What should Israel have done in response? Say oh ok lads we let it slide? Because that seems to your ideological utopian view. I see you have already copied my Nazi example, not intelligent enough to think up another insult.

You are pretending to care, hipster stuff. I suppose the keffiyeh scarf goes well with hipster beard and avocado on toast?

I didn't hear you give a suggestion yet how Israel should have responded to such provocation. All you have done so far is dig your heels in ideologically and pretended you cared.

Of course Irish people are supporting Hamas indirectly as Hamas view themselves as the defacto representative of the Palestinian people. Hamas is the whole reason why this thread has been created. Why the whole thing has bubbled over again.

Hamas are using people as sympathy trip or calcualted losses to try and get sympathy they know well what they are at. They were worried the Saudi's and Israel might get pally. So they needed a well planned spark to enrage Israel provoking them into attack. Then Hamas can play the sympathy trip, while Israel retaliates. Then if enough Palestinians die they might be the "moral high ground.

But if one side wants to destroy the other it is never going to be solved. There is only one thing I have learnt from the conflict over the decades, those scarves look cool in fairness.

At least with Ukraine/Israel for example it will end when Putin wins or dies.

But Hamas v Israel it will never end. They both have claims to land depending on how far back you want to go. And they both have very strong ideologies on either side.

Because it continues to do the same thing over and over again. Try stopping the land grabbing for a start and treat the Palestinians with respect for a change.

• Advertisement

A terrorist basket case is a very apt description.

Advertisement