Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,849 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and acting like the journalists are just gossiping when they directly reported the eventual quid pro quo between Trump and a billionaire donor for moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Quid pro quo for the West Bank is the mere continuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-says-netanyahu-could-be-prolonging-gaza-war-political-aims-2024-06-04/

Biden says Netanyahu could be prolonging Gaza war for political aims

By Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

As regards donors and agendas, I recommend this as required viewing. By turns sickening and frightening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001z96s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Reuters?

Who are they?

Never heard of em!

/sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm amazed Biden is only coming to that conclusion now.

• Advertisement

• It's anti Israel going the way of Al Jazeera. The times is much more reliable.

an Israeli newspaper is anti Israel?

At least try with your asspulls please.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Haaretz is well established and even-handed, and should be a first 'go to' for local Israeli news.

TBF, the article that caused this arc of the thread wasn't all that well written and I for one got confused as to whether there were, or weren't, reports on what Miriam Adelson and CFTrump agreed to. The writer mentioned a bunch of other sources like Politico and 'reports' but didn't put them together, I could find no reports on Politico or CNN about it. I wouldn't put it past an Adelson to do this, but I didn't come away convinced the article's author had seen a report proving the contention.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Haaretz and Times make a good combo imo, to get a somewhat rounded view of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Biden doesn't give a sh it. He's just in a panic because his re-election chances are collapsing before his eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hamas has appeared to have rejected the ceasefore proposal.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0604/1452844-israel-gaza/

student editors at Columbia University’s Columbia Law Review, published a paper that was ghasp critical of Israel. After rebuffing pressure to self-censor the paper, the board took the extreme step of shutting the entire Columbia law review website down.

https://apnews.com/article/columbia-law-review-israel-article-backlash-da2f924cddec4593b4f17b8baf500969

Thanks to the Streisand Effect the paper is hosted at a public mirror while the Law Review site remains down:

https://static.al2.in/toward-nakba-as-a-legal-concept.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,171 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Surely if all the anti Israel propaganda were real, they (Hamas) would be jumping at the chance of a ceasefire. To be honest, Hamas attacked Israel last October, Israel had their own "war on terror" since. They (Israel) made their point and speaking as a pro Israel person myself - and one who attended the protest in Dublin 2 weekends ago - I think a ceasefire with return of hostages now would be a good outcome. A ceasefire, return of hostages, and regime change in hamas controlled areas would be an even better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

You are literally salivating at the mouth cheering for Trump to come and save Palestinians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The uncomfortable truth is that, if Hamas released all their hostages, there would be a ceasefire in an instant.

Does Hamas care about their own people? No, definitely not. It's self-evident.

One would wonder if this act of hamas refusing a ceasefire will change the views of those that are screechingly pro hamas/pro palestine.

As a group that hides in residential areas and behind civilians, women and children, I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything else from Hamas. It's just important to remember that Hamas are both a registered terrorist organisation and also the elected representatives of the palestinians. I wonder what their ulterior motive is. They can't expect to defeat Israel even in guerilla warfare, Egypt won't take them in, so … what is their end game?

As a pro Israel person, ceasefire now is acceptable providing hostages are returned and Hamas is the subject of a regime change. However, extermination of Hamas entirely would be better.

Nope, can't stand Trump. Doesn't negate genocide Joe from his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

It’s a two horse race between bad and terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Didn't Netanyahu defacto also refuse the peace deal.

Hamas hides in residential areas while Israel bombs residential areas and kills children by the thousands.

Hamas was elected once in 07 and since then they control the people, as you say a terrorist group. Meanwhile Netanyahu is re-elected 7 times and has always taken hostages and palestinian land. The Israeli people are complicit in what their country is doing.

Hamas need to be irrdicated. But any reasonable person, and I'm sure you would agree, Netanyahu is a greater terrorist, and by association so are the Israeli people, right ?

This peace deal was always just an excuse to continue bombing Palestine. How can Hamas agree to a peace deal that includes their destruction in it. Netenyahu was even against it initially so why was Biden coming out with it. The whole thing was bizarre.

And anyone who thinks the return of all hostages would lead to an immediate ceasefire is quite naive, considering Netenyahu has explicitly said that even if that happens, they will continue the war until Hamas is destroyed.

This isn't two normal countries signing a peace deal. It is Israel, who for decades has been expanding and killing Palestinians day in day out. It's not like they're going to stop this. Even this year, they're offering new incentives for people to move to the West Bank. Gaza has been under blockade for over a decade and it will still be under blockade.

• Advertisement

Don't you see the link… if hamas didnt hide in residential areas perhaps it wouldnt be necessary to bomb there. The only terrorists here are hamas. Israel existed there for thousands of years. This doesn't date to October 7th, or 1947, but thousands of years. Before islam or christianity even existed, there were jews in israel.

Your last line doesn't warrant any reply, simply acknowledging its existence and the ludicrous nature of it is enough.

Hamas are terrorists. This is why they must be eradicated. Personally I'd prefer if they all got the Osama treatment.

You can't bomb buildings full of civilians because terrorists are using the building. If this has been normalised for you, you've been radicalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well as a pro Israeli you are never going to acknowledge that Israel engages in terrorism. What is collective punishment if its not terrorism, though. I suspect you will deny Israel has ever engaged in collective punishment

Also your assertion that releasing the hostages ends the war contradicts a lot of statements made by Bibi. Mark spoke of uncomfortable truths but ommitted one due to bias; Bibi doesn't really care about the Israeli hostages, his primary concern is staying in power. Even Joe Biden has finally admitted that.

Oh sure we'll just let hamas continue there, sure, and they can keep on with October 7th attacks again. I'm sure that would have worked after 9/11

I'm not going to feed into your line of posting there. My family is of prussian and irish heritage, the prussian side moved here after ww2. I have no reason to be biased towards Judaism (if anything there would be a likelihood to be anti-jewish).

My statement about ending the war by releasing the hostages means that there would be a reason to accept the ceasefire if the hostages were released and hamas removed from power. Of course, the end of any war would be welcomed better than its continuation, but this will not end until Hamas are removed and hopefully the hostages are returned. Hopefully both, but I suspect that Israeli priority is the former first and the latter second. This is what the terrorists in hamas brought upon themselves with their actions on October 7th. Their attacks on the native jews have been going back millennia, so this didnt begin on Oct 7th, but that's what started this part of the conflict.

You don't try and win a war by killing every single one of the enemy's soldiers. You go for strategic objectives. I can't believe this stuff has to be explained in 2024.

Israel got caught completely off guard yet was able to target hundreds of buildings every day somehow immediately. How exactly? Because they're using an AI system that operates like suspected Hamas member was in this building three years ago therefore bomb it.

Your false dilemma where all of these buildings have to be bombed or Hamas will continue with October 7th attacks is such an egregious logical fallacy. And unfortunately, you aren't using it to simply win an internet argument. You're using it to convince your own self that it's acceptable to indiscriminately bomb an entire people.

you know what didn’t end terrorism after 9/11? Bombing fallujah.

23 years later and Al Qaeda still exists, the Taliban still exists, terrorism still exists. You cannot fight terror with terror.

The American response to 9/11 being used to justify Israel's response to October 7th is truly bizarre. Millions of people died, and more Americans are dead because of it. A country going wild for blood and revenge is such an obviously bad policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Israel have invaded Palestine, just like Hitler invaded countries or how Russia invaded Ukraine. Typically the bad guys are the invaders…that would be Israel. March in, bomb, shoot, kill. Take the land, when the locals fight back, their terrorists.

Before there was a recognised Israeli state there was Palestine, part of Palestine was gifted by USA & UK to form Israel. The Palestinians living on that land have been there for thousands of years, just like there have been Jewish people living there. There never was a Israel Jewish only state pre 1947. Israel haven't stayed within their borders, they continue to steal/rob/murder in their land grab goals. The Israeli people re-elect the govt that continue this terrorist agenda. Its why many people are now looking at Israel and it's people and re-classifying it as a terrorist state, and rightly so. By your standards Israel should be eradicated. Israel has the option to elect the govt they want, the Palestinians don't. If Israel would leave them alone, then Hamas would die.

Advertisement