Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah the dead children really get to you. 17,000 little broken bodies that the Israeli supporters can't get past. They hate the mention of them because they know how awful it looks for the regions only Democracy. Maybe they're only Muslims and human animals to others to some but they were innocent children and their deaths matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you have to put it into airquotes to keep some people happy - "dead children".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

2 utterly predictable responses.

How often do you guys want me to post here so that ye can respond identically again? Ye get really upset and it gets to ye if I dont.

I'm happy posting when something relevant (like Haniyeh death) happens but it seems daily posts are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Deleted. Not taking bait, shouldn't have in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Not my words, but those of Dawoud El Alami on his rebuttal to Dan Cohn-Sherbok on his suggestion that all neighbouring countries should take in Palestinian refugees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I'm out too bud.

I'm in the John Mearsheimer camp of thinking when he said any criticism of Israel is met with cries of antisemitism or being a Hamas defender. Mainly cause any hard questions regarding the foundation of the state of Israel require facing some extremely uncomfortable truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

More bad news for Gaza -

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2024/0731/1462751-un-israel/

The head of the World Health Organization has said that polio has been detected in Gaza and warned that children in the war-ravaged enclave would soon be infected by the disease if preventative measures were not quickly taken.

A day after the WHO said there were "very likely" polio cases among Gaza's population, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus took to social media to flag concern about the human cost of the conflict between Israel and Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Difficult now to see Gaza getting much attention for the next few months. I detect more interest from the establishment in the one millionth opinion poll in a swing state in America than they are in Gaza now. And that election isn't for 3 months.

• Advertisement

It is important to see the likes of the below being broadcast to US audiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What kind of nonsense is this. Three people saw fit to thank this scutter ,yet would be bucking if such bile was displayed towards Israelis.The hypocrisy of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I never said that the ad hoc committee were coming to the table with a one state solution. They had got the delegation to agree in part to be part of the still ongoing and not yet finalised UNSCOP deliberations at that point. They were told it's too late, this is the plan. Do you not understand what compromise means. You seem to be having a hard time understanding a lot of what you read so maybe you don't.

My read is that the Arab delegation fucked up, and tried to rescue the situation half-heartedly but it was too late. It was their own fault tbh.

I have no idea what your favoured outcome is. It seems you don't have one, as you refuse to nail your colours to the mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭thereiver

It makes no sense to assassinate the leaders of Hamas while pretending to negotiate a ceasefire with Hamas .Bibi wants to provoke more attacks on Israel so he can have an excuse to attack Iran and bomb the military research facilities that are involved in building nuclear weapons . Meanwhile the idf continues to bomb buildings that house civilians and children

Bibi knows he can depend on support and supply of weapons and bombs from America as Biden cannot afford to lose the Jewish vote in the upcoming presidential election

To quote the poet a house divided cannot stand

Israel is fractured between civilians who want peace. Extreme conservative politicians orthodox Jews who do not serve in the army and Arabs, Muslims who live in Israel

Eventually Bibi will be voted out and maybe will be replaced by a more moderate political party so at some point Palestinians will regain control of gaza even if most of it is rubble and bombed out buildings

The UK will probably vote to stop selling weapons to Israel and more countrys will probably do the same

"look at the history only I truly understand

+1000

When looking at and discussing the history, there is a bit of 'Wizard of Oz' trick at play in the narrative

I referenced numerous articles, but apparently, they are all wrong, but some professor somewhere is the gold standard we should all interpret in the same way.

The ultimate irony is that the original plan, devised by the UNSCOP, and accepted by the UN under resolution 181(II) was a 2 state solution.

This is the official proposed solution our state, Ireland, has to the conflict, along with the US, the EU and most other countries.

Most here agree on that solution, like myself.

Yet when we talk about 1947, and the partition of Palestine into two 2 states…. things are flipped whereby the one unitary state is the one that should have been put forward and Jewish/Israeli state apparently should never have been created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

Have you even read what Michael D wrote? But then you sound like you know less than sweet nothing about Iran. There is a veil drawn over our President's letter by the Irish media which is slow to lift. And to pass it off as being the loose cannon ramblings of an old man is not on. He has been down this shameful and far worse road before. Not only does he clearly care not a fig for Israelis (Jews and Arabs) circled by a ring of Iran-funded fire by Iran's proxies Hamas, Hezbollah and Houthis, but not a toss either for Iranians under the thumb of that foul regime for way too long.. But sure, let him wish it well in its "endeavours" in our name.

Israel is getting what it deserves… And the way they are going now is a path of annihilation.

Yes he is a complete idiot/ tone deaf to have done that, but let's expose the double standards shall we. If Michael had fired off a letter praising the re election of Bibi the suspected war criminal many pro Israelis here would have nothing to say about it. This is the problem people will profess to stand with the Iranian people because they are pro human rights and people having freedom but then demonise Israeli human right groups and the like of Lidon Gevy for speaking out about Israeli crimes in the West Bank which deny Palestinians these very things. Will you take the deflection route Balagan1 or admit it is a double standard.

The issue is that there are too many bigots and racists who just hate certain categories of other people.

It would likely not matter to them who was the recipient of that letter in terms of their past or political beliefs or policies. All that matters is that they are in a category to be hated and therefore they just tar them all with the same brush by virtue of being in that category.

• Advertisement

"If Michael had fired off a letter praising the re election of Bibi the suspected war criminal many pro Israelis here would have nothing to say about it."

If such a letter appeared. everyone who is familiar with the President's views, be they have whatever stance on the issue, would say his account was hacked!

Do we take it you feel that President Higgins represented your views accurately in that he wishes well to the foul regime committed to the annihilation of Israel through its proxies and/or directly?

Higgins is more diplomatic then I could ever be … Opening up an embassy, keeping the dialogue going…. For me it is a possible win/win … Israel get a proper beating while the warmongering ayatollahs hopefully can be toppled for a more moderate regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i am happy that our president recognises iran's right to defend itself regardless of both our disagreeements with it's regime.

both the iranian regime and the israely regime are as bad as each other over all, the difference is iran isn't holding the main powers to ransom and is not receiving billions in aid on the backs of hard pressed tax payers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sortof. There are a number of… misleading commentaries circulating around on the 2006 jaunt, a detailed look in (To the point that we had Israeli officers giving pretty blunt after-action commentaries to us in the US in 2007) results in a more nuanced take.

It is absolutely true that the Israelis got a brutal shock at the competence and capability of Hezbullah, and the first days of the operation went poorly. What is less well reflected is that after the Israelis realised they were going up against what was more like a conventional opponent than an intifada, they sorted out a number of their issues and started doing much better. Not fantastic, but definitely reasonably well.

There were certainly some institutional failings which were never fixed. Some were matters of training, focusing too much on the gaza problem and less on conventional warfighting. Wadi Saluki, towards the end of the conflict, was an excellent teaching point on the matter of both the atrophy of individual crew training and brigade level operations. The effects-based-doctrine of the time, I kid you not, incorporated post-modernist French philosophy, which the typical company grade officer didn't understand. Those institutional-level issues have long been fixed, and anyone who expects that Lebanon 2025 will resemble Lebanon 2006 is going to be greatly mistaken. We may not know what it will look like, but we know what it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

Netanyahu will go down as possibly the most evil man in my lifetime. Their is a visceral hatred for Palestinians among the majority of Israelis. The footage coming out of Gaza is truly horrifying. The death toll and destruction there is staggering on a scale not seen possibly since WW2. All supported by the self styled greatest democracy in the world America.

Through the targeted killing of both Hamas and Hezbollah senior figures in the past few days it seems obvious that Netanyahu is trying to escalate the conflict. Conflict keeps him in power. It's interesting that they can find Hamas and Hezbollah figures but not their hostages. Makes you think.

Israel's veneer of invincibility has been shattered by the October 7 attack. The north of Israel has had to be evacuated due to Hezbollah attacks. Long term Israel has destroyed it's reputation in the world through it's genocide in Gaza. The viability of the state of Israel is now in doubt. The airport is full of people trying to bail out. The economy has to be on it's knees. International tourism has ceased. The army is reported to be weary after the 10 month genocide in Gaza.

There is simply no defending Israel anymore. Yes it was attacked on October 7th but it's response was outrageously disproportionate. The anti semitism trope no longer works. It is attempting in Gaza what the Nazi's did in the holocaust except for the gas chambers. Their inhumanity to their fellow man is staggering considering their history.

There are no colours to nail the mast. Stop trying to bait .

So, you accept a 2 state solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Luna84

I think it's only a matter of WHEN for Iran to start sending missiles and drones at Israel. I wonder will other countries help them again. If I was in charge I'd say let them look after themselves(well my words wouldn't be put as well as that).

Imagine a co-ordinated attack on Israel from both Iran and Hezbollah. Iron Dome is good but I honestly don't see it stopping many missiles, rockets and drones at the same time. Israel would have to reload and missiles and drones would be flying past unheeded.

Their economy has taken a hit, but their tech sector still seems strong.

With US support I don't see any long term consequences for Israel. Their economy will rebound once this carnage eventually ends. We all know if this was any other country there would be a mass of sanctions already in place on Israel. Even in light of the recent ICJ ruling on the West Bank, Europe, with Ursula at the helm, will not impose sanctions on Israel.

At best we might see the UK restrict arms sales to Israel, but that's tokenism as it's a tiny percentage of their military aid. What might be some sort of deterrence or modifier of Bibi's behavior is the US suspending all Arms trade to Israel, however he knows the Democrats won't do that in an election year. I doubt if Harris is elected she would suspend them either. So Bibi knows he can do whatever the hell he likes and the American government will still back Israel.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

Advertisement