Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That doesn't explain who is shooting at them, unless you think that IDF is fighting itself..........oh wait, I've probably started off another conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Link to where Hamas are shooting at Israeli soldiers from the Al Shifa hospital? Israel are happy to let these surrounded hospitals cease to function. It is clear they are targeting hospitals. Even Biden can see that. Two thirds of the medical facilities in Gaza have ceased operations. It's part of the collective punishment. Meanwhile the IDF continue to bomb relentlessly, North and South. 11,000 civilians dead.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder if the IDF will now blow a huge hole in the basement of the hospital and say '' there's the evidence of the tunnel ''? And then what? What will be their next target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭circadian

Nothing in that article suggests there is anyone firing at the Israelis.

They will fill the hole with arms if they can't find any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The IDF have encircled an area, and have spent the last few weeks closing that loop and pushing people within in towards the centre.

Will they find some lad with a rifle close to a hospital - more than likely. Because if he wasn't there before, they've surely herded him towards it by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bibi is gone once the war is over, Gallant will likely be his replacement.

A 2 state solution is over. Can't see any Israeli govt allowing it or the Israeli people allowing their govt to even suggest it.

To have societies in a state on either side of them where there is a constant stream about all the differing people that must be killed, no society will tolerate that, especially a society like Israel which views itself as having self worth and having an onus on protecting its people from extermination.

Southern Gaza may be administered by others as some type of canton with Israel taking out extremists as needed.

Northern Gaza will likely be an military controlled empty buffer zone. The self administered Arab communities in Judea and Samaria,will probably continue as such.

This has a long way to go yet and Israel will likely be fighting a multi front war shortly.

The leadership of Hamas abroad will be killed eventually, hopefully their operatives across Europe will be killed as well, anyone involved in a Hamas linked org in an ideal world.

I fully agree that Northern Gaza will be turned into a large buffer zone. It will be flattened. Removing the large hospitals is a major step in making it unlivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Check some of the replies. One guy who has worked installing lifts reckons the supposed "tunnel" is a regular lift shaft you would expect to see in any normal building (he identifies and describes the various pieces of electrical equipment in the shaft).

IDF are such pathological liars at this point that nothing they say can be taken at face value.

• Advertisement

There is no doubt it is all fu78ed up, regardless of the why or right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Your link doesn’t mention Israeli soldiers being fired on from the hospital.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭brickster69

Aye and chuck a few copies of Mein Kampf in with them for good measure.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Mein Kampf in Arabic has always been a strong seller in the Arabic world though Book sales or publication has never been a big thing in the Arabic world so it's not as impressive as it sounds

I know. That one was priceless. You can't really believe a word that comes out of an Israeli politician's mouth these days.

When the lunatic minister threatened to nuke Gaza, Netanyahu came out and said he was only speaking "metaphorically". Whatever that means!!

Chairman of the Religious Zionist Party congratulates a couple of parliament members initiative to bring about a humanitarian solution.

" I congratulate Knesset members Ram Ben Barak and Danny Danon for the important initiative.

Voluntary migration and absorption of Gaza Arabs in the countries of the world is a humanitarian solution that will bring an end to the suffering of Jews and Arabs alike."

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement

I didn't say they were being fired on from the hospital, but somebody must be preventing them from taking over the hospital. If it is just a hospital, and nothing else, their tanks would just roll on in, and there would be no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭circadian

Man this hurts my head. We're going to create a humanitarian catastrophe but it's ok because everyone else can take on the burden. Totes not ethnic cleansing, it's a humanitarian mission. Everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

This is true, and when the crimes become larger and more gruesome, it becomes easier to focus on one of them (while turning a blind eye to the atrocities of, say, Hamas).

And as they kill more people on both sides, they are effectively recruiting more towards extremism on both sides. I don't see the possibility of a lasting peace here anymore, having spent time in the region, on both sides, it's just not going to happen.

Temporary peace deals, at best, that will last 2 to 3.5 years tops. Good luck to anyone living there. There are people on both sides who do want to live in peace but I feel like they are not in power and their numbers are diminishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Come on now Blanch, here is what you said:

I” am still struggling to understand what is preventing Israeli tanks from taking over the hospital. Hamas keep telling us that there are no soldiers, there is no military complex, there is no military in the hospital, but somebody is firing on the Israelis and preventing them from taking over the hospital.”

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So people really think Israel and the IDF are targeting a hospital just to be evil ? And not because there is a military camp there ?

OK

Yes, they are being fired upon, (but I never said that it was coming from the hospital) that is what the report said, fighting happening around the hospital. My question is, if Hamas are so interested in protecting civilians, why are they firing in or around the hospital?

Like the Israeli tanks are outside, it defies logic that they haven't moved in and taken it over if there are only civilians inside the hospital.

Yes, it seems they have actually swallowed that propaganda. Nobody can answer my question as to what is preventing the Israeli tanks outside the hospital from moving in and taking over the hospital.

And the fact that if Isreal wanted to destroy hospitals it would be done in minutes .

There is clearly a hamas camp in that hospital or underneath it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,223 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he didn't mess up the labour party though, he was up against borris johnson and there was the whole brexit issue.

it was very unlikely any labour leader was going to beat borris unfortunately but we will never know.

antisemitism like islamaphobia exists to an extent in all political parties unfortunately but antisemitism was hugely weaponised by the far right in terms of the labour party, also those who didn't like the democratic wishes of the LP membership weaponised it.

crying shame the lot of it and the UK is paying dearly for it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Maybe they just don't want to assault a hospital? I suspect their quarry may be underneath it, but they're probably not in it. I certainly can't imagine Hamas are actively defending the place, then the IDF wouldn't be hanging around.

Could just be a ring to make sure nobody gets out, whilst any possible tunnels are dealt with starting from the other end. Or maybe they're not as sure there are tunnels under that specific hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If Hamas are supposedly using hospitals and 'human shields' as some form of protection for their militants, it doesn't appear to be working - the regime are attacking the hospitals anyway.

Many international doctors and medics are saying it is total BS and lies from the regime that fighters are hiding out there and ammunition being stored. I was listening to a doctor on RTE yesterday who said he has been in every single room in his hospital in the last few years and has never once seen anything suspicious or out of the ordinary. The IDF may as well be claiming that Hamas terrorists are hiding out in St James Hospital or Beaumont.

So Israel are just attacking hospitals?

OK

What do you expect someone working there to say ? A yeah the terrorists are here cmon I'll show your cameras ha

Jordan threatened war if Israel sent palestinians, Egypt ruthlessly enforces a strict border to the south of Gaza, both are terrified of the Palestinians coming and the resultant chaos and violence that their hardline views bring, they know from bitter experience.

A new Palestine in Sinai is probably the only solution that works.

Post edited by Danzy on

Two thirds of hospitals and medical facilities have ceased operations due to bombing or fuel/medical supplies issues. In a war. Israel are trying to close hospitals. Likely for good in North Gaza.

• Advertisement

Gaza's main hospital buries patients in mass grave (rte.ie)

Gaza's embattled main hospital buries patients in mass grave

Gaza's main hospital has been forced to bury scores of dead patients in a mass grave, its director said, as US President Joe Biden pressed Israel to protect the complex trapped in fierce combat.

Israeli forces were at the gates of the sprawling Al-Shifa hospital that they said sits atop an underground Hamas command base, but Hamas denies the charge and doctors said thousands of people are stranded inside in horrific conditions.

"There are bodies littered in the hospital complex and there is no longer electricity at the morgues," said Al-Shifa hospital director Mohammad Abu Salmiyah, adding that 179 bodies had been interred so far.

"We were forced to bury them in a mass grave," he said, adding that seven babies and 29 intensive care patients were among those who had died after fuel for the hospital's generator ran out.

A witness said the smell of decomposing bodies was everywhere in the facility, but nighttime fighting and air strikes had been less intense compared to previous nights.

No one hardly believes him according to the press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭quokula

Why do you think the soldiers who are killing people are a more trustworthy source than the doctors who are trying to save people?

I see the hardline Israeli supporters aren't even trying to pretend that they're not in favour of ethnic cleansing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Many Israelis are as brown as their Arab rivals, which makes race baiting as such ridiculous.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I wouldn't be a hardline Israel supporter, am anti Hamas, anti Hezbollah etc.

I'm not in favour of it but I can see why Israel would have to do it, you can't have a society at your doorstep that is committed to your extermination and that is frankly committed to norms so abhorrent to human decency, workers rights, human dignity as to make it a near pariah state if its opponent was anyone else but Jewish.

Israel always responds to attacks and threat, If the neighbours weren't always reaching for the machete and swinging it at people they would have much better lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are you condoning Israel having hostages indefinitely? 😶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

No of course they don't really believe that, no one does.

But Hamas and its PR apologists are sure doing everything in their power to hide whatever is hidden under that hospital. Is there any other possible reason?

There isn’t a single word in that report about taking fire coming from the hospital. What’s your source for that unsubstantiated claim

why can’t Israel exist in the desert again?

Their stated aim is smiting Amalek. No military camp required.

That’s like calling for a Republic of Ireland in Siberia for all the good it does

I mean how could the British expect to live in peace in Northern Ireland in the 70s with all the trouble Irish people were causing, clearly they should have bombed all our hospitals and homes into oblivion and just shipped any survivors off to a desert somewhere, it was the only viable solution to us being such problematic neighbours.

The other reason is Ochams razor: there is nothing under the hospital, and if there was all the tank brigades would be down there fighting it or being ambushed. Neither is happening.

Hospitals are not to be attacked under international law: Israel wants the doctors out by starving the facility of supplies and letting stray dogs eat corpses outside, if hospital staff go to retrieve bodies they are shot on sight and made a dogs breakfast. Without doctors, the hospital loses its international protection. When that happens they will just use a massive ordnance weapon to make as big a crater as they can and have plebs say “see that divot proves there was an HQ the whole time” “that divot in the ground from millions of USD in Israeli explosives tells us more than real evidence ever could”

Rinse repeat until there are no hospitals, no schools, no mosques, no bakeries, no civilian infrastructure of any kind left so Gaza is a barren hellscape. It’s ethnic cleansing, the last step before genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The vast majority of your post is speculation, speculation that you are using to conclude that genocide is coming. That's a very dangerous game to play, but I doubt you care.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

But if there is nobody resisting them, they just park the tanks and go in and say hello. The only reason that I can see that they haven't is that somebody is fighting back, but posters keep telling me there are only doctors there.

Something isn't adding up, those hospitals, if they are truly free of Hamas militants should be under Israeli control already.

Israel isn't attacking hospitals, it is assuming control of Gaza, and that includes assuming control of the hospitals in Gaza. Something is stopping them seizing control of the hospital, is it the doctors, the nurses, a wizard, or Occam's Razor - Hamas militants.

That is the simplest explanation.

The seizure and retention of civilian hostages by Hamas is an ongoing war crime, and has been acknowledged as such by the UN and by all international bodies. Are you condoning those hostages being kept?

Have you not been reading my posts? Holocaust expert is saying this, not me. Go away with your dangerous game shyte and write him a letter of the same or something:

Or do you not care enough to tell him he’s wrong and speculating too? /s

i think he knows what he’s talking about

• Advertisement
Advertisement