Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This is just about the most irrelevant and pointless response I’ve seen on here. Positively tragic. And to think you’re so proud of it that you’re now spamming it around the place - well, scraping the bottom of the barrel is putting it kindly.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭dmcdona

No. I made no comment on anything reflecting badly on Israel. They are your words.

I was more than happy to have a bomb protected bedroom in case things kicked off.

The Palestinians in Gaza have nothing.

The comment was made (not by you) that Israelis were in danger in localities close the Gaza. I asked (not sure if there was a reply) how many Israelis in this areas has died since Oct 7. Compare that with how many Palestinians have died.

I then finished up with the piece about Palestinians killed in an area designated as safe by IDF.

Its sort of fascinating, in a rather odd way, that you chose not to engage in that part of my post.

In fairness, there are plenty of irrelevant and pointless responses on here. Odd you didn't pick up the one about "dark humour" ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Israel did more or less the same thing for former Irgun members

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just correcting the OP that Israel stopped making serious strategic errors in the early 2000's. They were making them as late as 2018.

I never mentioned or even alluded to any kind of justification for Hamas butchering civilians on Oct 7. I've said it repeatedly that Hamas are terrorists, a cancer and need to be eradicated. I don't know how anyone can justify the deaths on either side.

Presumably without such funds Hamas would not be able to mount any kind of attack. So it seems the cash was important. But not a justification.

Regardless of where the money came from, Israel knew it was coming in and chose not to stop it in order to hobble the PA. And now it has "blown up in their faces" (as reported by the Times of Israel).

Israel had the opportunity to prevent this. They chose not to. They gave Hamas the means to butcher Israelis.

Hamas is a terrorist organisation that wishes Israel to be wiped off the map.

What did Israel expect them to do with a shed load of cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,283 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not at all. I'm only backing up @SeanW in highlighting the people who are actually the real victims and the ones really suffering as a result of homes being flattened and people being vapourised in Gaza. The wokerati will try to have you believe its them brown lads whom we should be concerned about. But we should really be concentrating on the horrifying situation the Israelis in Tel Aviv etc. are going through right now. I hear they can't even watch Fair City on their TV in the evenings as all broadcasts have been postponed to make way for the rolling news broadcasting the great successes of another couple of hundred toddler terrorists being liquidated during that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The US have supported and funded many corrupt or worse regimes. From Cuba before Castro to Iran and other multiple middle eastern coups. They probably have done a lot more that we don't know. Sometimes it was right to support someone in the past - or a necessary evil at the time - as the alternative was worse.

So help us with the logic. Complete the problem for us.

Scenario: A large number of civilians and children with ethnicity E were killed in a deliberate missile strike on civilian building by X where X was fully aware of the purpose of the building. However, it is noted that group Y had tunnels close by.

Question. Does X bear responsibility for the deaths, or does that lie with Y, with none on X?

Or does the answer change depending on who X & Y were? Or what E is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's really simple: your equations are fundamentally flawed because they're predicted on the assumption that Israel and Russia are exactly the same. The exact opposite is true in every conceivable respect.

Russia is the largest country on Earth. Israel is one of the smallest. Russia wants to kill all its neighbours, Israel's is trying to avoid being killed by its neighbours. Russia is an authoritarian kleptocracy, Israel is the closest thing the Middle East has to a secular democracy. Most importantly, the government of Gaza is a terrorist government whose stated and repeatedly manifest objective is to kill the Jews. Ukraine's stated and manifest objective is just to continue existing - at no time was Ukraine bent on the annihilation of Russia and all its people, nor has that been the objective of anyone since 1945. As to your ridiculous comparison with the Azov fighters, civilians were allowed to take refuge in the Azov steel works towards the end of the siege of Mariupol.

So I have literally no idea what you're getting at with your patently absurd comparisons, except to try to hoodwink people in thinking Israel is acting in a vacuum or to mislead people into think that Israel's situation is any way comparable to Russia's.

You've confirmed exactly what we already knew SeanW. There are no morals or principles in your position - what a party does is only a crime if it is the "wrong" people doing it to the "right" people. It doesn't depend on the act itself - just the parties involved

That is a lie. The ethnicity of the people involved is irrelevant. The background and context are what matters. Israel and Russia are not comparable in any way.

Background = irrelevant. Revenge or bloodlust is not an excuse to justify a crime.

Ethnicity is indeed part of the context. Is there a single regular poster on this thread who has been critical of Israel's actions who has not been accused of being antisemitic?

That is a lie. Israel's and Russia's situations are diametrically opposed in every imaginable respect. Your comparisons between the two are transparently absurd. The ethnicity of the peoples involved is irrelevant.

I am merely focusing on incidents which are mirror images of each other circumstances SeanW.

Israel are not responsible for deliberately targeting civilian - it's Hamas' fault, not the ones who punched in the missile coordinates - and the reason is that Hamas have some tunnels and they could have brought the civilians into them

However Russia is responsible for deliberately targeting civilians. It's the Russians fault for punching in the missile coordinates, not Azov - despite the fact that Azov have some tunnels and they could have brought the civilians into them

My own personal position is that - in both cases- the ones who punched in the coordinates bear the blame.

And in relation to ethnicity being irrelevant, as I said in the previous post - there isn't a regular poster on this thread who is critical of Israel's crimes and who hasn't been accused of being anti-semiotic as an immediate "go-to" retort.

Repeating a lie - in your case that my standards have anything to do with the ethnicity of the people involved - does not make it true. The same is true of your bizarre comparisons between Israel and Russia.

Both of these are transparently absurd.

Your comparison is total BS and I explained why. I didn't accuse you of anti-Semitism but given that you're genuinely equating Israel with Russia, it probably would be fair to do so. And you brought up ethnicity, not me. My standards do not change because of the skin colour of the people involved and any intimation to the contrary is false.

SeanW, I am not equating Israel with Russia. I am comparing the act the Russia did in bombing the theatre (when Azov had tunnels) with Israel bombing the sh1t out of residential areas and people on here saying that that is Hamas fault because Hamas have tunnels. And the reason I used it was that you no doubt agree that it would be nonsense to blame Azov rather than the Russians for the Russians bombing the theatre. But you are happy to blame Hamas rather than the IDF for the IDF making a conscious and targeted decision to blow the sh1t out of civilians. And the reason is that Hamas have tunnels for themselves and not civilians

If Israel blows up a load of civilians, the first excuse is "there was someone who looked like a Hamas fella nearby" so it is all Hamas fault.

Now we have - in the absence of that first excuse - if Israel blows up a load of civilians then "it is Hamas fault because Hamas don't have tunnels for the civilians". So it is all Hamas fault.

And the other one of course would be, if some civilians did seek shelter in a tunnel and the IDF blew them out of it or gassed them out of it or downed them by flooding, or collapsed the tunnel with bombs - well it would be all Hamas fault for using them as "human shields".

There is basically no scenario where you are willing to accept, or say, "well actually, maybe the IDF shouldn't have killed those civilians and kids"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭mikethecop

again

think you need to explore why you feel only your opinion is valid and why you react poorly to some one else's, as i ve said already there is a name for that that would only upset you more ,

you dont get to demand that i post something or that i dont post something , your not a mod but you've done your best to drag it off topic , a common tactic when your position is indefensible, as such a experienced poster will be aware

#exterminatehamas

It looked like you were equating the two. My standard is simple - Ukraine was not threatening Russia, so Russia has no casus belli against them, i.e. they are the aggressors. Gaza has been waging a long term war against Israel, so Israel has legitimate cause for war. Israel and Russia's motivations for war as well as strategic landscapes are also diametrically opposed. That's why I hold Israel to a different standard to Russia. And that's why I blame Hamas for everything that is happening now, and regard Israel as entitled to take vigorous self-defense. Same as I support Ukraine in doing literally whatever they have to do to make the Russians go away. Simple enough?

And I still don't understand your comparison between Hamas tunnels and the Azov tunnels. There was never any issue with Mariupol civilians getting shelter in the Azovstal works alongside the Azov brigade, again, the conduct of Ukrainian defenders and Hamas terrorists were diametrically opposed.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like ISIS are claiming they did the bombing in Iran the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Outraged ??? Just trying to make sense of such a roundabout answer when Yes or No would have sufficed.

So its ok for Israel to treat the LGBY etc people well but bomb the women and children of Gaza to bits. Good God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That was disappoint some people who desperately wanted it to be Israel

• Advertisement

I really don't believe that anyone would want a bigger war in the region. Too many innocents dead already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure they are trying furiously to figure out how to claim Netanyahu ordered ISIS to carry out the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

HAMAS called left a message on answerphone

<clicks play button>

”hahahahhahahaa hahahahah hahahahah alaha ahaha akbaraha hahahah”

Come to think of it, Netanyahu might want a war too. Might keep him in power for longer. He could massacre some more children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

Ouch the whiplash from the 180 degree turn you made in space of two posts must hurt

No it was slow as I was trying to make out your typing. It was like something from Romper Room.

Well Iran for one, they came out almost immediately after the attack accusing "the Zionist regime" of being behind the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I just watched an interesting CNN report (Tapper) about these two individuals.

From Reuters (paywalled):

"The U.S. State Department on Tuesday slammed recent statements from Israeli Ministers Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben-Gvir that advocated for the resettlement of Palestinians outside of Gaza, calling the rhetoric "inflammatory and irresponsible.""

Also, posters on here extolling the virtues of Israel towards the LGBT community, take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,206 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Our friend Tzipi Hotovely (Israeli ambassador to the UK) seems to have really lost the plot - called for widespread bombing of Gaza, including houses and schools, in an LBC interview yesterday and effectively for ethnic cleansing. Owen Jones suggests she may well have broken UK hate speech laws with these comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Two suicide bombers just attacked Iran, killing nearly 100 people so far and ISIS/ Islamic State have claimed responsibility.

Senior Iranian guards commanders claimed the attacks were orchestrated by Israel, anyway. The default response I suppose.

Hard to know what to believe, isn't it?

I suppose (which is not impossible) that Mossad has infiltrated ISIS.

I don't begin to suggest this but Israel doesn't mind getting its fingers dirty in any of this and if ISIS is battling the Iranian government and Israel has favoured Hamas over Fatah then it might not be much of a stretch for Israel to favour almost anyone over the Iranian regime(and not,perhaps ask too many questions in the process)

Can't believe Netanyahu is still in power.I thought his credibility would be shot at home at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Well, if you're on the same side as Hamas in this war, then that does look Anti-Semitic to people.

If you wear a Palestinian flag and march through the streets of Dublin, or anywhere else, chanting "from the river to the sea...", a genocidal chant that is taken to mean 'kill all the Jews in Israel', that looks decidedly anti-Semitic.

If you use the word "Zionist" a lot, that does seem to be associated with anti-Semitism. I've travelled the world for decades and normal people just do not use the word "Zionist". Ever. It's a weird word to use so frequently, especially in Ireland! It's like you're in a cult. An anti-Semitic one.

You may not identify as an anti-Semite to yourself but if you're on the same side as them, then that's how other people may see you.

I think it may have been a US report just hours after the bombing that said the bombing (a double tap) was not the modus operandi of Israel. Whether they were involved in any other way is speculation though.

I heard a snippet on RTE news this evening that Israelis know Netanyahu's credibility is shot and after this is over, so is he.

Perhaps that's why it is in his and other Israeli politicians interests to keep this going as long as possible.

I did also note in December that his prosecution for corruption is still going ahead even during the conflict. And with the SC throwing out the judicial reform legislation, his days do very much appear to be numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you claim you aren't anti semitic, but continually use phrases like "blood thirst", "bloodlust" "blood letting" and even (as seen on here yesterday) "satanic" in relation to Israel and no other countries involved in a war, then you probably are anti semitic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Who on this thread is continually using phrases like those? You were at this yesterday too.

Interesting. And are the uses of those words only antisemitic when used in relation to Israel, or just in general associated with antisemitic.

Do you not remember when your head guy told all his followers to "remember Amalek"? ....... the passage from their bible which orders them to go and kill every man, woman, child and beast of their enemy?

This old zionist bullying trope of trying to shut down any legitimate criticism by shouting "antisemitism" is really tiresome. It is usually followed by an attempt to reclaim fake victimhood.

"Palestine will be free" sounds like a nationalist chant to me.

Did the Irish nationalists / republicans of 1916-21 define themselves in terms of being "anti-English" or "anti-British"? The Proclamation doesn't mention the English or British even once.

You hear what you want to hear.

I can remember at the time Nasser reportedly boasting of throwing the Israelis into the sea.

(even then denied and obfuscated -the victors write the history books and so he did not claim ownership of those words in the cold light of day )

I would still say the Palestinians are primarily a nationalist movement striving for independence. Describing them as driven solely by anti-Semitism seems an attempt to muddy the waters by Israel (and yes to dehumanise them...it suggests they are mostly bigots). Very few nationalist movements define themselves by hatred for their occupier or have it as their raison d'etre.

• Advertisement

If you are going to kill the king you have to be sure that you kill him the first time.

It seems that the Arabs had not learned this .

Just when it seemed that the lesson might finally be being learned , the corpse of that ambition has been taken hostage by religious extremists with their own agenda ( and potentially on both sides apparently if the religious parties in Israel shoehorn themselves into undeserved relevance).

I have no idea what would happen if outside parties decided to "let them at it" .

History suggests to me that Israel would prevail one way or another.

Advertisement