Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What absolute rot. They are ordered to move numerous times yet still get bombed when they do move to so called safe areas.

Thanks for proving my point and admitting Israel is bound by international law. With this in mind What is your opinion on the ICJ ruling regarding the West Bank? Also that the Israeli prime minister and defense minister have been accused of war crimes?

To answer your question, I consider hamas a terrorist organisation just as Irgun were. Do you you think Irgun were a terrorist organisation,Baglan1?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You have misquoted me. Quoting a single line of a post doesnt show the true context of a post and its not quite the etiquette of a discussion forum.

The first post you are referring to is this one which actually wasnt even a reply to you but to Peggyshippen yet you replied to it. Its not just about "one terrorist" - you left out a lot of the important context of the post. If you want an explanation about the "so called one terrorist" part - Theres plenty of reports of no Hamas members being present in these schools, hospitals or shelters yet Israel have dropped 2000lb bombs on them. Only a few days ago the IDF bombed a town in Lebanon - there were interviews with residents of that town who said that there were ZERO Hezbollah members in the town and they couldnt understand why it was bombed.Obviously the IDF will dispute these claims since their "intelligence" is so great.

So to sum it up - I dont believe that these schools etc are legitimate targets and that Hamas are present at every site and I believe that Israel are carrying out an ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people.

Jesus you really have swallowed the Israeli cool aid.

ICC is useless , Its not a genocide, channel 4 news is ****, Hamas are responsible for Palestinian deaths etc etc.

You really have a serious problem with anyone disagreeing with your stance.

The real truth is that the IDF and Israel dont give two **** about the civilian population of Palestine and will wipe out entire families to get one so called terrorist. They have broken numerous international laws regarding the welfare of civilians during war time and I for one hope that the leaders see the inside of a court room for their crimes against humanity.

The only long term solution is the two state one - Israel withdraws to the 1967 borders, dismantles their illegal settlements and lets Palestine govern itself. Maybe then there could be peace in the region.

The second post is this one which you have again left out some context. Again its related to my previous views that Netanyahu could stop this tomorrow - They have made their point by reducing Palestine to rubble. destroying almost the entire health and education system but he chooses not to.

Netanyahu doesnt want peace. He will continue to order his troops to bomb civilians as long as it keeps him in power. He knows full well that as soon as a ceasefire is called his days in office are numbered.

In both instances where I pulled a quote of yours to focus on specific questions that I had, I also linked to the full texts of both your posts. However, I will refrain from pulling quotes in future.I am also aware that one of my posts was in response to a reply of yours to another poster, surely perfectly acceptable on a discussion forum?

Thank you for your responses to the questions I had. As you will no doubt expect, I do not agree with you that Israel is carrying out ethnic cleansing on the Palestinian people. But the cataclysmic horror and fear and heartbreak that they are experiencing could not be clearer. Hezbollah and Lebanon, like the West Bank, are for another thread ( are there current threads on boards covering those?), but, again I would strongly feel that Israel's targets would be direct responses to Hezbollah's attacks and not directed at civilian areas from where Hezbollah does not operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Except that they always target civilian areas. They target hospitals, ambulances schools etc. they always claim that there's terrorists there and never provide any evidence. It's always "Trust us bro"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

A snippet of an interview between CBS news and Dr. Mark Perlmutter, an orthopedic surgeon from North Carolina was on Newstalk this morning. It highlights that the IDF are just evil and it is difficult to comprehend that anyone can support these actions that are done on behalf of Israel. The pro-Israel people might be able to excuse civilians dying from a bomb blast, saying that is just war, but how can you support Israeli soldiers deliberately snipping children.

From the interview:

Dr. Mark Perlmutter, an orthopedic surgeon from North Carolina, and vice president of the International College of Surgeons, volunteered in Gaza from the end of April through the first half of May. Asked to describe what he witnessed in Gaza, Dr. Perlmutter replied, "All of the disasters I've seen, combined – 40 mission trips, 30 years, Ground Zero, earthquakes, all of that combined – doesn't equal the level of carnage that I saw against civilians in just my first week in Gaza."

And the civilian casualties, he said, are almost exclusively children. "I've never seen that before," he said. "I've seen more incinerated children than I've ever seen in my entire life, combined. I've seen more shredded children in just the first week … missing body parts, being crushed by buildings, the greatest majority, or bomb explosions, the next greatest majority. We've taken shrapnel as big as my thumb out of eight-year-olds. And then there's sniper bullets. I have children that were shot twice."

"You're saying that children in Gaza are being shot by snipers?" asked Smith.

"Definitively," said Dr. Perlmutter. "I have two children that I have photographs of that were shot so perfectly in the chest, I couldn't put my stethoscope over their heart more accurately, and directly on the side of the head, in the same child. No toddler gets shot twice by mistake by the 'world's best sniper.' And they're dead-center shots."

Extract above is from https://www.cbsnews.com/news/children-of-gaza/#:~:text=Asked%20to%20describe%20what%20he,my%20first%20week%20in%20Gaza.%22

There will be the required mental gymnastics applied to defend it. The children were believed to be hamas members; the doctor is a hamas supporter- anything but apportion the blame where it lies.

You are entitled to feel as you like. The evidence to the contrary trump your feelings,however. There is a reason Israel won't let journalists into Gaza, and it isn't to ensure the safety of the journalists .Still the truth gets outs.

War criminals always have their apologists- some people still feel Milsosevic was a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Eudaimonia

Yes I heard about that interview saying sniper bullets almost surgically targeted in the dead child’s chest and forehead which can leave no doubt as to war crimes being committed. All war crimes must be punished and the leaders Netanyahu and the leading military members must be held accountable. These actions must be stopped and punished.

What I don’t like, is Irish people who refuse to condemn the Nazis in WW2 and the IRA shouting their heads off about Israel committing those crimes also. It’s sadly possibly the long term demise of Israel which will result from such actions which Irish anti semites will be delighted about. With the far right capturing the middle in America it is very dangerous times for Israel and the world and it could all go up in flames internally and by stupid Americans who don’t heed calls for restraint.

Just to clarify if anyone thought my previous post was excusing war crimes it wasn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm not sure why you think there are irish posters here who are nazis supporters or IRA supporters. I don't think the actions by Israel will cause their demise, nor do the majority wish that here, we just wish they would stop committing war crimes.

It is strange that so many Israeli supporters seem to show more distain for the Irish calling out the the Israeli actions than the Israeli actions itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

While some don't call out the Israeli crimes at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I haven't seen a single person who supports the Palestinian cause who wouldn't condemn the nazis. It's a bit weird to start assuming that people who are anti war crimes are pro nazi.

Do you have any evidence in this thread of nazi's

With the IRA, that's a contentious subject. I'm sure there are people who won't condemn the IRA. They will claim that every civilian killed was by accident or a legitimate target. The same would go for UVF/UDA supporters. However both would condemn the nazis.

You can see the same with israel/palestine. However although I've seen plenty of people here claiming that every action of the israeli governmant is valid, I have yet to see anyone claim that the hamas attack was justified in it's extent.

I think for a lot of people the idea of armed resistance brings up mixed feelings. If Hamas was only attacking military targets they'd have a lot more support. But the october attacks were horrific. I can't justify them. And I can't support an organisation that commits those actions. However I feel the same about the IDF. I believe that israel has the right to defend itself and protect it's citizens. However I can't justify the actions of the Israeli state. Either in their occupation of Palestinian land or their indiscriminate killing of palestinian civilians.

Read up about his father and you'll realise what the answer to that question is. Remember when Francie was saying Hamas were the only obstacle to a ceasefire , well a US Official and even members of the Israeli negotiating team have leveled criticism at Bibi for making it harder to reach a deal.

I read as far as this and it confirmed what I thought -

Blinken was born on November 11, 1925, in Yonkers, New York,

[5]

the son of Maurice Blinken and his wife, Ethel (Horowitz). Maurice Blinken was an early backer of Israel and founded the American Palestine Institute which helped persuade the United States to back the creation of Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The veil of Irish Anti Semitism is lifted more often these days.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Can you share some examples?

Are we going by the dictionary definition of antisemitism or the ever changing Israeli version of antisemitism? You know the one that doesn’t allow is to compare factual events side by side because one event was carried out by the Nazis and the other Israel?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Does it ever dawn on some people that the reason for aggravation to Israel is the situation in their region over decades and not some inherent anti-jewish discrimination?

There are many reasons to be angry. The biggest for me is when I think about WW2 and what Jews went through on the continent. Then you see what their leadership does to a weaker people today (land theft and mass murder) and that personally makes me angry.

I'm not anti-jewish. I couldn't care less what voodoo people want to believe in but I can see the total hypocrisy and lack of humility or self awareness with the state of Israel.

It should be called out.

A step towards self awareness?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/shin-bet-chief-warns-netanyahu-ministers-that-jewish-terror-endangering-israel/

Islamophobia is far more common. It's not even covered by a veil.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭engineerws

If you have seen it.....

https://x.com/Kahlissee/status/1827310739645722874

I'm kinda at the point where I just cannot understand how the USA continues to support this and do not know what it would take to stop their support. The Dems refused to allow a Palestinian American to speak at the convention...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They seem comfortable with this level of casualties

"Multiple Israeli airstrikes killed at least three dozen Palestinians in southern Gaza, health workers said Saturday, as officials including a Hamas delegation gathered for ceasefire talks in Egypt.

Among the dead were 11 members of a family, including two children, after an airstrike hit their home in Khan Younis, according to Nasser hospital."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/24/israeli-airstrikes-kill-at-least-36-palestinians-in-southern-gaza

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

Seriously….STFU with this Anti-Semite BS! Please elaborate as to why this is anti-semetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m not sure how antisemitic it is to point out Blinkens Father is one of the founding voices for the creation of Israel, it speaks very heavily to his motivations in the current conflict. Are you going to allege it’s antisemitic to point out Blinkens own father was one of the literal architects of the foundation of Israel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Accusations of antisemitism have gotten so stupid that even mentioning that someone is Jewish sets some people off.

I guess to reiterate the point again:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Another feeble-assed rocket attack from Hezbollah today effortlessly defended by Israel, more Lebanese people killed in response. Is this really the best Israel's enemies can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Did Dr Perlmutter actually see those shootings take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It has sadly become par for the course and Israel feels completely emboldened now to launch attacks on multiple neighbours and call it self defence. That's down to them but what I can't understand is why their propagandists are allowed access to our airwaves anymore.

You feeling sorry for Hezbollah this morning? Didn't notice any concern from you about its myriad ongoing attacks on Israel. But maybe I missed it.

• Advertisement

It was his grandfather! But no doubt his father was also very much in support of the survival of Israel and its right to defend itself and his son seems to be tireless in efforts throughout the region to bring about a ceasefire and the return of the hostages and a better future for both Israelis and Palestinians.

If there was any suggestion that Anthony Blinken's very Jewishness, a fact he has repeatedly and proudly stated, makes him unfit for his job, that would indeed be antisemitic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Explain in detail how that suggestion would be antisemitic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really have to feel sorry for people in the region with leaders who care nothing for civilians being killed on their opponents side. Can't see any peace in that region in our lifetimes.

In Regard to Blinken

Former US Officials have criticised him for his "dead cat diplomacy". That is legitimate criticism, not anti semitism. He seems to avoid criticising Nethanyu at all costs. As a consequence Nethanyu has made him look weak and ineffectual.

Ah yes its all staged. Nothing to see here Political Analyst. Your motivation is clear to absolve the IDF of any blame. We have seen plenty of videos of them shooting civilians in cold blood while they were waving white flags. You of course have excuses for all of it.

And the people whose own leaders care nothing for their lives.. Sinwar's "necessary sacrifices".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

[MOD] Post removed - Kimbot

Post edited by Kimbot on

[MOD] Post removed - Kimbot

Post edited by Kimbot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You can’t blame the Jewish people as a whole for the atrocities being carried out by the sitting Israeli government and IDF. Many Jewish people are appalled by the actions of their government.

[MOD] Removed quotes of removed posts.

Post edited by Kimbot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm fed up hearing that term. I honestly do not know why so many people stand up for them. Even in real life people do not just online. Yes, they were gassed back in WWII that has long time ago but doesn't mean they should still reap the benefits of people standing up for such cowards that are the Israeli's.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

What is needed is an honest broker. The entire US administration is not that. They are literally funding and facilitating the slaughter

Are those brokering on behalf of the Iran backed and funded terrorists attacking Israel acceptable to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's an easy way to not hear it anymore if you're fed up with it, stop being an antisemite.

There's criticising Israel for what they are doing and then there's what you're doing, criticising all Jews around the world for what Israel are doing.

there’s stuff that isn’t antisemitism - and then there’s stuff that is definitely antisemitism and that right up there is the latter.

Well, volunteer mods and all that, plus a very on fire thread adjacent on the front page here draining resources. Someone will get to it.

I find it far worse that anyone has to die because Israel is treating people intolerably and is committing war crimes. Far better if people behave and nobody dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 RT Grey

In '21 they voted and Netanyahu's party got the most votes, Israel used proportional representation requiring most times a coalition. If coalition members didn't like what's going on they can collapse the Govt. If enough people don't like it then they can vote a new Govt, they'll get that chance next yr. But for now, it seems safe to say the majority or Israeli people approve of what their Govt are doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement