Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Fantastic move by Ireland, Norway and Spain. They will have expected the bullying, blackmail and extortion from Israel and Israeli fanatics as that is all they can offer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is that Hamas though? I can't imagine they could unload a full-length semi-trailer in motion and get everything back to a hidden depot without turning it into an unhidden depot. I'd say the Israelis would welcome the aid in if they could simply track it to reveal Hamas stores. Would it not make more sense that the people jumping on moving trucks are just starving civilians grabbing whatever they can carry?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Richard Boyd Barrett is certainly feeling pleased with himself.

He is now looking for the state of Israel to be "dismantled".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Unclear at the moment if this move will affect US investment in Ireland, given the vastly different opinions in America.

I suspect anyone working with a US multinational won't be too pleased with this move today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I doubt Ireland's recognition of a state already recognised by so many other countries will affect all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

Anyone working in a US multinational know what they care about is he bottom line and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Operation 'Wait, look over there' seems to be working a treat for the Irish Government.

Never any shortage of useful idiots in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. It's a cold calculated move to defend his pals in Israel. That's all this is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

As are a number of Israeli - destroying aid is scumbag behaviour from whoever it is.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-protesters-block-aid-convoy-headed-gaza-2024-05-13/

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/05/01/world/israel-gaza-war-hamas#israeli-settlers-attacked-aid-trucks-headed-to-gaza-jordan-says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Just **** stop with this nonsense.

It clearly doesn't set a precedent. Honestly pathetic.

This is about what Israel have done in Gaza after October the 7th until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Strong European economies LOL. You said economies because you know the three countries military combined couldn't take out an ant hill. This "action" will not affect Israel in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Correct. I know for a fact the management of one US multinational here today are not happy.

Today's move is an exceptionally stupid move on Ireland's part, even leaving aside it encourages Hamas and the terrorists of Oct 7th.

I feel sorry for the Israelis, they occupy such a tiny tiny amount of land surrounded by Muslim countries, many of which are very hostile and want it wiped off the map, just as the Jews were practically wiped off the map in mainland Europe in WW2.

I was going to vote in a few weeks for the existing government ( as they are better than SF, which is not saying much ), but I will probably vote independent now, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

That’s not the insult you think it is. We manage to live with our neighbors in peace, I know that an alien concept in the part of the world in question here - but Israel could help itself by not committing genocide and not continuing to expand into the west bank etc etc - but you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You can be damn certain if there was a massive warehouse full of aid with hamas operatives, the Israelis would have bombed it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It's not an attack on Israel, the majority of the world recognise Palestine now but yet still Israel sees fit to threatens countries that do so. And alot of Irish posters here seem to think the israel response is acceptable.

The more I hear Israeli politicians talk the more they remind me of the brexiteer politicians. Outside of petty insults they don't seem to have anything constructive to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bizarre to compare Israeli politicians with Brexit.

The reality is the right to defend oneself does not include the right to wage a war of revenge with indiscriminate killing of civilians and denial of basic humanitarian aid.

The reality also is that the vile Hamas attack was done to provoke just such as response and Israel gave them exactly what they wanted

The reality also is that it suits the Netanyahu regime to have Hamas there to attack as well as facilitating the emergence of Hamas as the dominant force in Gaza in the first place to undermine the Palestinian government, the continuation of the Gaza offensive delays Natanyahu's removal form power and facing criminal changes and gives him the opportunity to continue his efforts to circumvent due process over his and his governments long standing corruption

Also, the UN general assembly voted 143 to 9 for Palestine to become a full member. It was only prevented because of the ludicrous situation where the historic ownership of nuclear weapons gives one a veto. So the reality is not your reality at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Israel is colonising land outside its borders. It also has the bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It is the way they talk not anything to the politics involved. The brexiteers were always threatening dire consequences for the EU and using insults to courts when they didn't agree with their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

What exact concrete actions will this “symbolic gesture” result in to help the Palestinians on the ground in Gaza in the short, medium and long term

I summed it up earlier:

• US builds a pier and spends billions feeding Gaza and gets endless criticism
    • Ireland makes a symbolic gesture that will do **** all to change Israel’s course (quite the opposite now it seems) and do nothing to help Palestinians on ground and gets applause

I don’t oppose the recognition of Palestine I oppose the stupid cheering of this “symbolic” action which could have been made conditional on release of hostages taken by HAMAS terrorists something you seem to have forgotten about

I also think the constant criticism of Biden who is actually doing something to help Palestinians is the height of hypocrisy and opens the door for Trump who sure as hell is not friend of Palestinians

• Advertisement

Because someone does the right thing on one issue does not make them immune from criticism on others. It is possible that people get some things right and some things wrong you know.

I don't give a shiny sh*te what is going on over there. They can all kill each other as far as I'm concerned.

My only gripe is with our useless, cowardly government acting billy big bollocks on an international stage, when we all know they've nothing to back it up, and all the while their own house is burning down behind them.

US multinationals presense in Ireland is largely about EU access and servicing EMEA and other regions. Having an operation in Ireland will not impact how those regions sales go which is all the corporate offices care about.

I suspect the multinational you refer to is likely one with operations in both Ireland as Israel, Intel being the biggest but there are many more. This will no doubt be a headache for the local management of those facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

If you are content with an apparently civilized nation killing at will then maybe you shouldn’t be concerned about what our government does politically with them then?

I for one am delighted with the work our government and in particular, M.Martin, has done here. Again, it’s a joint stance - Israel will be hurt by Spain the most especially if they start confiscating more arms off Gibraltar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Chuckling at the talk of US MNCs giving a ****. They give a **** about their bottom lines.

No, in fact Intel will be announcing bigger investment into Ireland shortly.

Fear mongering nonsense from some clueless folks that spend too much time online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Will somebody please think of the multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

Never said it was Hamas. It looked just like desperate people shoving pallets off and others gathered on ground breaking up the packages and taking what each could carry.

I care because it's so obvious our government is using this to win votes and attempt to get out of a political crisis at home.

At least Israel and Palestine have skin in the game. Our government is using the blood of all those people for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that’s funny because Bibi and Likud is engaged in war crimes to get out of a political crisis at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

Soldiers are risking their lives to get back even the dead bodies of the hostages. You cannot but know that!

Advertisement