Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Israel is getting what it deserves… And the way they are going now is a path of annihilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes he is a complete idiot/ tone deaf to have done that, but let's expose the double standards shall we. If Michael had fired off a letter praising the re election of Bibi the suspected war criminal many pro Israelis here would have nothing to say about it. This is the problem people will profess to stand with the Iranian people because they are pro human rights and people having freedom but then demonise Israeli human right groups and the like of Lidon Gevy for speaking out about Israeli crimes in the West Bank which deny Palestinians these very things. Will you take the deflection route Balagan1 or admit it is a double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The issue is that there are too many bigots and racists who just hate certain categories of other people.

It would likely not matter to them who was the recipient of that letter in terms of their past or political beliefs or policies. All that matters is that they are in a category to be hated and therefore they just tar them all with the same brush by virtue of being in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Balagan1

"If Michael had fired off a letter praising the re election of Bibi the suspected war criminal many pro Israelis here would have nothing to say about it."

If such a letter appeared. everyone who is familiar with the President's views, be they have whatever stance on the issue, would say his account was hacked!

Do we take it you feel that President Higgins represented your views accurately in that he wishes well to the foul regime committed to the annihilation of Israel through its proxies and/or directly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Higgins is more diplomatic then I could ever be … Opening up an embassy, keeping the dialogue going…. For me it is a possible win/win … Israel get a proper beating while the warmongering ayatollahs hopefully can be toppled for a more moderate regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i am happy that our president recognises iran's right to defend itself regardless of both our disagreeements with it's regime.

both the iranian regime and the israely regime are as bad as each other over all, the difference is iran isn't holding the main powers to ransom and is not receiving billions in aid on the backs of hard pressed tax payers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sortof. There are a number of… misleading commentaries circulating around on the 2006 jaunt, a detailed look in (To the point that we had Israeli officers giving pretty blunt after-action commentaries to us in the US in 2007) results in a more nuanced take.

It is absolutely true that the Israelis got a brutal shock at the competence and capability of Hezbullah, and the first days of the operation went poorly. What is less well reflected is that after the Israelis realised they were going up against what was more like a conventional opponent than an intifada, they sorted out a number of their issues and started doing much better. Not fantastic, but definitely reasonably well.

There were certainly some institutional failings which were never fixed. Some were matters of training, focusing too much on the gaza problem and less on conventional warfighting. Wadi Saluki, towards the end of the conflict, was an excellent teaching point on the matter of both the atrophy of individual crew training and brigade level operations. The effects-based-doctrine of the time, I kid you not, incorporated post-modernist French philosophy, which the typical company grade officer didn't understand. Those institutional-level issues have long been fixed, and anyone who expects that Lebanon 2025 will resemble Lebanon 2006 is going to be greatly mistaken. We may not know what it will look like, but we know what it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭batman75

Netanyahu will go down as possibly the most evil man in my lifetime. Their is a visceral hatred for Palestinians among the majority of Israelis. The footage coming out of Gaza is truly horrifying. The death toll and destruction there is staggering on a scale not seen possibly since WW2. All supported by the self styled greatest democracy in the world America.

Through the targeted killing of both Hamas and Hezbollah senior figures in the past few days it seems obvious that Netanyahu is trying to escalate the conflict. Conflict keeps him in power. It's interesting that they can find Hamas and Hezbollah figures but not their hostages. Makes you think.

Israel's veneer of invincibility has been shattered by the October 7 attack. The north of Israel has had to be evacuated due to Hezbollah attacks. Long term Israel has destroyed it's reputation in the world through it's genocide in Gaza. The viability of the state of Israel is now in doubt. The airport is full of people trying to bail out. The economy has to be on it's knees. International tourism has ceased. The army is reported to be weary after the 10 month genocide in Gaza.

There is simply no defending Israel anymore. Yes it was attacked on October 7th but it's response was outrageously disproportionate. The anti semitism trope no longer works. It is attempting in Gaza what the Nazi's did in the holocaust except for the gas chambers. Their inhumanity to their fellow man is staggering considering their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There are no colours to nail the mast. Stop trying to bait .

So, you accept a 2 state solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Luna84

I think it's only a matter of WHEN for Iran to start sending missiles and drones at Israel. I wonder will other countries help them again. If I was in charge I'd say let them look after themselves(well my words wouldn't be put as well as that).

Imagine a co-ordinated attack on Israel from both Iran and Hezbollah. Iron Dome is good but I honestly don't see it stopping many missiles, rockets and drones at the same time. Israel would have to reload and missiles and drones would be flying past unheeded.

Their economy has taken a hit, but their tech sector still seems strong.

With US support I don't see any long term consequences for Israel. Their economy will rebound once this carnage eventually ends. We all know if this was any other country there would be a mass of sanctions already in place on Israel. Even in light of the recent ICJ ruling on the West Bank, Europe, with Ursula at the helm, will not impose sanctions on Israel.

At best we might see the UK restrict arms sales to Israel, but that's tokenism as it's a tiny percentage of their military aid. What might be some sort of deterrence or modifier of Bibi's behavior is the US suspending all Arms trade to Israel, however he knows the Democrats won't do that in an election year. I doubt if Harris is elected she would suspend them either. So Bibi knows he can do whatever the hell he likes and the American government will still back Israel.

Post edited by nacho libre on

It's looking like their might be an attack tonight. Already a cyber attack on Ben Gurion Airport leading to cancelled flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't overestimate people's memories. While a lot of people who might have been inclined to support Israel in the past might have had their eyes opened, the crimes they are committing are not new. It has just been a bit more concentrated for a few months. They will always have "supporters" who are "supporting Israel" as a proxy for Islamophobia too. Those people's opinions will not have changed based on what has been thrust into their faces over the past few months. They will just deny black is black and white is white. We see it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

You're pretty ignorant of Israels nuclear capability or what a modern nuclear bomb can actually do. You know that if they deployed their full nuclear arsenal there'd be no more middle east. That's what Israels capability is. You seem to think Iran and whomever else could inflict similar damage? Not possible.

There's alot of people on here really ignorant of the military reality of fighting wars. Israel is doing a really good job in Gaza. There is no 15000 'murdered' children. They were killed but they weren't murdered. Hugely emotive and completely incorrect language to use 'murder'. Wanton murder is what happened on Oct 7th. Also the 'genocide' angle pushed by the screaming left is bizarre . Anyone with half a brain can see that militarily the Idf and specifically the Israeli Airforce could carpet bomb gaza and wipe the slate clean. They dont do that because they care about civilians .. Its a well run war. The ICC are a joke..Ignore them lads. The Americans don't take em seriously..we shouldn't either . Some great successes for the Israeli military..we should be on here applauding their successes instead of most posters hoping they lose and the Islamic baddies win.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The one thing I can say securely is Israel won't lose this war. The only people annihilated will be Hamas and Quite possibly Iran as a country

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Luna84

WHAT A CLOWN EVEN HAS AN BUTCHERS APRON AS HIS PROFILE PICTURE.

Are you for real threatening that Israel could use nuclear bombs to wipe Arabs out of the world and carpet bombing Gaza.

One time you would be banned for posting something like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You should really wait for there to be some sort of verification..some airlines have opted to halt certain routes to and from Tel Aviv already. There are cancelled flights today and for the next week but they are mostly planned cancellations.

Lots of delays though as it may appear that a lot of people are trying to leave, though this is not verified either.

That You got 10 likes for such a wrong and Anti Israel post tells alot about Irish opinion at the moment. Its clueless...its biased and it's ignorant and its anti Semitic to a large degree. Netanyahu may not be your cup of tea but he didn't start this war ...he didn't murder or rape or kidnap like many Palestinians did on October 7th. He didn't burn people alive like many Palestinians did...didn't shoot any unarmed grannies or defile dead bodies. Palestinians did though and they danced in the streets looking at raped girls in the back of pick ups. So ignore all that if you will but America won't,UK won't, Germany and Austria won't..And fair play to her Von der leyen won't. Israel is fighting the West's war to a large extent and it may turn into a 'proper war'. I think its probably the time to take on Iran now..Just degrade it militarily into the dust. Make it insignificant..cripple it economically. The West should go ahead and do it

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Why does the "beacon of hope" in the middle east have colonies outside it's recognised borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think if Israel really wants to take the fight to Iran and thinks it is time they should go and attack them, not be trying to manipulate others into fighting their wars as I think your other post(s) and now this one suggested doing.

Of c. Netanyahu has been trying to egg on the US to do it for decades now.

Leave the rest of us in the so called "West" (which Israel is ambivalent about being part of in important policy respects anyway) out of it thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hamas will absolutely be wiped but will re-group as something else.

Iran is a powerhouse in the region. The US won't even take them on. Quite simply because it would be a never ending war. Not palatable for US voters. And Israel does not have the firepower to take them on. The odd incursion may occur but it's clinical enough to not hit citizens.

I don't think I have posted in this thread before but I would be of the opinion that Israel should defend itself but has gone too far and is not clinical enough in Gaza. Wiping any person in the way is not a way forward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

**** hell. How about Israel is responsible for the deaths of 15000 children then. This is a new level of disgusting excusing of indiscriminately killing of civilians

You don't drop 2000lb bombs to kill a few Hamas fighters. You do it to kill indiscriminately. You do it to destroy.

You don't obliterate every working hospital either if you're not trying to make civilians suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Aside from the blatant racism, it's clear you (a) have never been to the region and (b) have never interacted with a Palestinian person nor an Arab more generally.

This mentality reminds me of Benny Morris. No matter what Israel does its acceptable to him because it's Israel.

Ethnic cleansing, which Benny believed occurred in the 40s, is ok if Israel does it. Nuking someone is ok. Etc. Yet if the same doctrine should be applied to Israel it's an appalling crime. This is the contradiction of October 7th, while it undoubtedly was an appalling crime, if you believe yourself to be a democracy it doesn't give you carte balance to do as you please in the name of revenge. Yet Peggy thinks it's ok to turn another country dust. To shoot civilians waving white flags in cold blood. To drop a 2000 pound bomb on a refugee camp. He knows Israel wouldn't do it in a residential area of Tel Aviv . The Americans even disagree with Peggy, they have told Israel several times they are not doing enough to minimise civilian casualties .

The ICJ is a joke to him, he is in good company, Putin thinks the same of the ICJ. Nethanyu is desperate to get re-elected that's why he probably ordered the killing of Haniyeh as he hoped it would boost his popularity with Israelis and increase his chances of getting re-elected. As long as the likes of Bibi remain in power, even in a world without Hamas, Israel will never have long term security. Yitzshak Rabin, who was no dove in his early years, came to the realisation that military dominance alone would not provide security long term for Israel, for the likes of Peggy this is lost on them .

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

sweden now apparently closing its embassey in Beirut and urging all citizens to leave

It must be a terrifying time to be living in Israel. Iran's response may be muted or immense forcing Netantyahu into a response. I expect the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Looks like Bibi has let the IDF off the leash with another HAMAS official killed. Israel doesn't care one iota about Geo political stability

• Advertisement

They don't seem too bothered here.

https://beachcam.co.il/en/dolfinarium.html

Advertisement