Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on. Not a shred of sincerity/concern for anyone in this conflict. Most these commentators/protesters simply using the carnage as a vehicle to rant against Israel/Jewish people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A protest in a Jewish area of London had to be cancelled, it was praying for Israel and the Jewish people, police pressure stopped it as they felt they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be attacked as the anti Jewish fash and comrades were marching in London the same day at a "solidarity" march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Overall, the deployment of tens of thousands of troops into a large urban area, as observed in the context of the Ukraine war, necessitates careful planning. Most reservists lack experience in underground fighting, which presents a significant challenge when it comes to engaging Hamas forces in underground settings. Regardless of the chosen course of action, whether it be to proceed with the invasion or to call it off, there has been no indication from the Israeli government to suggest that they are abandoning their plans. It is possible that they are taking more time to carefully strategize and plan the operation. Hezbollah and other groups will likely join fully once the military invasion commences. Right now, Israel and Hezbollah are engaging in a game of hit-for-hit. It is quite intriguing that Hezbollah's leader, Hassan Nasrallah, has not yet mentioned this conflict. This silence from Nasrallah is unusual and might indicate something significant is happening behind the scenes. 

Probabiy correct and what's the rush as well, another week or two of escalating targeting could make it a lot easier for the IDF and it allows prep for other fronts.

We are so used to immediacy now that we forget that a short time frame in many things can be weeks or months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yes, there's an * for sure. Those * numbers are over an 18 month period. The current Gaza situation has been going on for about two weeks.

I mean, c'mon. You know that. In two weeks, more civilians have been killed than in 9/11. On a humanitarian basis, it's not really defendable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not sure what you are getting at given that * renders comparison hard in first place. I am not trying to excuse what Israel is doing.

Was just second time I'd seen these UN figures used in this way on this thread to make some kind of point in a debate or something + your post and the other one had seen before said nothing about the fact that the figures are incomplete. Never saw anyone else mentioning it, so thought I may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can't compare either places ,

Large parts of Ukraine is still under occupation and anywhere liberated they found mass graves and torture chambers and add the 700,000 children who are missing after forcibly being removed from Ukraine and a large number of adults brought to Russia for re-education

So yeah it might take a while to reach those figures,and that's before you add the hundreds of thousands of soldiers killed on each side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭nachouser

Fair enough. It's just this thread is a bit weird. Like, the idea that what's going on in Gaza is completely fine and the death rate is seemingly totally acceptable to posters on here. If the IDF were to go all in, the deaths would be much worse etc.

So, we're grand now, it's just goldilocks numbers being killed. Not too much, but not too few either.

• That's not aimed at you - just the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Way to paint everyside on the other side of your point view as just terrible people in general. Some people are just against civilians on both sides being killed in this long running conflict. It would be lazy to paint those not against the IDF methods in Gaza as Islamophobic, wouldn't it?

And yet the same people going on about 40 Babies were the same accounts ,

Nobody else was mentioning it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

They are certainly successful in picking 'low' value targets ... how many children have been murdered so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah, I did not mean to imply it was "fine" because the Russians have likely been much more brutal in Ukraine than the UN figures suggest. I think I regretted it last time I got tempted to post here about what is happening + that is me done!

The figures are actually startling. One child murdered by the IDF every 15 minutes in the last two weeks. 84 children murdered by the IDF or Israeli settlers in the west bank in the same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't agree with that. I'm a big lefties but I have no time for Daily, or any tankie for that matter. I have massive issue with China as a state and I've spent a decent amount of time there. I can't imagine what the minorities suffer considering the Han are fairy well off but still terrified of the state.

As for Palestine. I grew up through the troubles and then lived in England as a young adult. I experienced a fraction of what Palestinians do. I can completely empathise with their plight. I dont hate Israel and I certainly dont hate Jews. I can't say I truely hate anyone in fairness. I do however, see the suffering caused by two entities who are so embedded in their dogma. Both populations in Palestine and Israel suffer as a result of this, and thats what upsets me.

I have categorically condemned the behaviour of Hamas but I feel the response is equally disgusting. The fact that people are subtly suggesting that I arguing in bad faith is particularly galling considering we've seen this before, albeit on a smaller scale. The British state was just as capable of lying and muddying the waters as any of the paramilitaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Children which have militant links to Isis of course. Israel don't target civilians.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please use the dedicated thread to discuss the Russia/Ukraine conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

They are crazy stats if true.

Why are they killing in the west bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The only thing is what if Hamas says "If you invade, we'll behead a hostage every hour until ye leave" or something to that effect.

I'm not sure about Hezbollah's motivation. The Hamas attack might just be the first move of a broader plan masterminded by Iran, but who knows.

The whole thing is madness.

They could just decide to have peace tomorrow and no more needless deaths. It's very simple.

Is actually 84 people killed in the west bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Hamas want the IDF to enter Gaza and kill loads of civilians. The IDF will kill a lot of known hamas officials and militants but not them all as this is not how you destroy terrorist organisations. The Saudis will not enter an agreement with Israel and the Arab world will continue to be disunited in their approach to Hamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,282 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A very grim video on tiktok…. Lad comes to the door of his property in the UK, he’s already filming…. Answers to find a uniformed policeman, who proceeds to enquire as to why said homeowner is flying a Palestinian flag from his residence….

worrying, not the best use of police time, quite intimidatory and must surely be harassment. Quite jaw dropping that in a democracy, you cannot fly a flag without fear that an individual might call the police and that the police instead of… “ I’m sorry sir/ madam, a homeowner may fly whatever national flag they wish, I’d ask you not to bother us again with such nonsense “… its a policeman sent to question the resident / home owner.

such is the awful influence a certain sector of life has over police, politicians and government… internationally and domestically..

Not agreeing with an agenda on twitter can get you a visit to check your thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

You may not be like that but I think a large proportion of the Pro-Palestine movement in the west are as I describe.For example the first thing Mary Lou McDonald did after the Hamas attacks was change her twitter profile image to one of a Palestinian Flag which was pretty appalling behavior considering what Hamas just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Israel is going in now. Hamas can't be tolerated anymore, since they managed to invade the state for a couple of days.  if Israel truly cared about the hostages, would they not reconsider their nonstop bombing campaign? Evidence suggests that Israel may have already accepted the loss of hostages.

Israel, as a nuclear-armed state, has a policy known as "nuclear ambiguity," whereby it neither confirms nor denies the possession of nuclear weapons. However, it is widely believed that Israel has a significant nuclear arsenal. In the event of a defeat or existential threat, it is conceivable that Israel may resort to using these weapons as a last-ditch effort to ensure its survival .The world needs to get a grip on this quickly and find a way to give Israel and the Palestinians a way out.

It was a very stupid Iranian master plan, if it was. The weakness seen from Biden does not bode well for the current situation. The act of providing weaponry and aid when an invasion is imminent does not effectively addresses the underlying tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

It's a bit much alright but then again a lot of people who fly it are fairly dodgy types who the police will need to at least be aware of.

Wider public safety comes into play as well

It's stupid from our perspective.

From their perspective it probably makes a lot of sense, this is a State where a teenage girl was just recently left brain dead by the police because she didn't cover her hair in accordance with the wishes of Allah.

A society where clearing landmines in the Iraq Iran war was done by volunteers running across the field screaming Allahu Akbar and on and on.

Their perspective from our perspective is fooking nuts, yet they should be treated very serious, being a hyper dedicated nut is an asset in war and business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Good luck trying to fly the Israeli flag in Ireland at the moment.

• Advertisement

The US State department is telling citizens to get out of Lebanon to the point of offering them loans to pay for commercial flights,

Something is changing

Advertisement