Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Propaganda from boards.ie posters.

You need a break from it lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

I'm not suggesting that Israel is above using misinformation and propaganda, all sides are in a war, but do you think that they are so inept at it? Plenty of IDF personnel can speak and read Arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Israel are really trying to garner the ire of the world. Who is advising their politicians and military commanders? People had so much sympathy for the Israeli people after the barbaric attacks on Oct 7 but somehow Israel have turned it around with an illegal massacre and untold destruction. It's like they had this annihilation plan all along and just waited for the moment to enact it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Israel are really trying to garner the ire of the world. Who is advising their politicians and military commanders?

Yes, the level of triumphalism from many in the IDF and Israeli government is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Where are all the genocide cheerleaders gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh lets see.

Lets pretend I am foreigner working in hospital in Gaza, that is run by hamas, and I should tell the world they are using the hospital as a base.

I wonder how that would work out for me.

If I was a woman I might expect to be, you know, gang raped as per their norm before they kill me and if I was a man I would expect swift throat slitting. Then they claim I was killed in Israeli bomb.

FFS I really often wonder what age people are here.

Oh before you argue they could say something if they have already left, they might realise others they would care about would suffer in their place.

And how does anyone know that ex workers from there haven't fed information to security services in secret about what is going on?

The arguments here are fooking ridiculous.

An army is trying to rid an area of enemy fighters, they are on tight schedule so they decide to just hang around outside a hospital and not continue with an advance. A major reason for not pushing on is to not leave pockets of resistance to your rear.

This is a proper military with decades of experience fighting, often employing fast moving advances, not a fooking shambles like our own.

But the anti Israeli experts here claim they are hanging around because they just don't like hospitals in Gaza.

I am not allowed discuss …

There are those on both sides of this conflict who want that so you'll have to be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

There is anger bubbling in some communities in Germany about the political classes' perceived reluctance to criticise Israel.

Surely, that can be addressed by explaining to those communities that Hamas started the current war and is using Palestinian civilians in Gaza as human shields, can't it?

Has the translation into English been verified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Hundreds of medical staff with no remaining relations in Gaza including Irish doctors and nurses have worked in Al Shifa hospital over the years. Are they all just pretending that the Hamas headquarters is not at the hospital too?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And yet they showed a calendar with days of the week claiming it was a list of names of Hamas people who were guarding the prisoners at the hospital.

Very very bad propaganda or maybe just inept. Maybe they believed before entering the hospital that it was a Hamas command center which held hostages. When none was found they began clutching at straws to see what they wanted to see, maybe to help justify the mass deaths the IDF have inflicted on women and children.

We're at the Russian level of craziness, maybe the IDF spokesman doesn't even really believe the crap they say, but they are so far down the rabbit tunnels, they keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah it's gone from "there are no tunnels" to "well there are but Israel built them" and "it's all normal anyway for storms and earthquakes". Literally not one person claimed that Israel built the tunnels before maybe yesterday? The prior line was that they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

So the brave heroic fighters of the IDF managed to get past the doctors, patients and babies in the hospital and plant an Israeli flag on the roof. Granted a paraplegic man in a hospital bed had to be shot. He must have put up a fair bit of resistance

Everyone knows tunnels exists in Gaza. Weeks ago people here said there were 500km of tunnels. They found SFA in the Israeli built Al-Shifa tunnels (Hamas HQ). Fine. Whatever. How does all this tunnel talk justify bombing hospitals all over Gaza and preventing fuel/power/water/food and medical supplies getting into these hospitals? Israel have normalised the bombing of hospitals for you now?? Can they flatten ever hospital with the "but there is a tunnel" excuse?? It's ok to shut down two thirds of medical facilities during a war??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's gone from show me evidence of a command center under the hospital yesterday to.... show me the evidence of a command center under the hospital today.

It's the IDF rowing back saying there's tunnels connecting to such and such..... No mention of a command center all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I was a woman I might expect to be, you know, gang raped as per their norm before they kill me and if I was a man I would expect swift throat slitting. Then they claim I was killed in Israeli bomb.

I'll leave you there, arguing absurd counterfactual strawmen.

No such thing has happened to the healthcare workers at the hospital.

Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That might be there declared intention but, they can't succeed that's the point. If they thought they were capable of inflicting a military defeat of Israel this would be a wider war already. They haven't because they know they will be soundly beaten. That's why Iran talks a big game but is reduced to using proxies which are not a threat to Israels existence. It's almost as if the Iranians don't really believe in the rhetoric of martyrdom they use, a bit like the lads in Qatar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Prior to that report, we had no idea how Israel "knew" there were tunnels there.

Now we're up to speed.

@unkel Just a reminder on this. It's an important direct question. I have seen you skirt this before.

You said "It is not up to Israel to supply water, food, medical supplies, power, etc. by the way." which is patent nonsense.

Do you seriously think they would have a sign that says Hamas HQ Basement.

If the Israelis have any cop on they will reconnect the hospital to services somehow and bring in supplies and medical staff.

And if they can't find tunnels under it/linked to it then the clearout of Netanyahu and his cronies, IDF chief of staff Gen Halevi, Shin Bet head Ronen Bar and Mossad head David Barnea should be immediate because it will be as big an intelligence cock up as Oct 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am beginning to sound like a broken record, your suggestion is a good one but there needs to be a twin approach - The Hamas leaders in Qatar need to be sanctioned and Qatar has to be given an ultimatum by the Americans: either give up the Hamas leaders or risk economic sanctions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are you sure about 100,000 children being killed in the ongoing war in Yemen?

Link

Yemen's war broke out in 2014 and quickly saw Iran-backed Houthi rebels seize the capital Sanaa, prompting Saudi-led forces to intervene to prop up the government the following year.

Hundreds of thousands have died since, either as a result of fighting or indirectly through unsafe drinking water, disease outbreaks, hunger and other impacts.

The agency's latest numbers confirm 3,774 child deaths between March 2015 and September 2022.

So if the UN is correct, less children died in 364 weeks in Yemen than died in 4 weeks in Gaza.

Unfortunately, there are some conflicts/situations/scenarios that get more attention than others. It isn't always obvious why this is the case, part of it could be a snowball effect that as something is mentioned, it gets attention, and is mentioned more, and gets more attention and so on.

But I think why so many people are aggrieved about Israels actions comes down to a number of reasons.

• The proportionality of Israel's response has been so out of whack that it gets attention.
    • The rhetoric from Israel about 'everyone is guilty', 'we are dealing with animals', 'we will have a Nakba' is very genocidal
    • How western nations and the EU have supported them in their actions almost without question
    • That despite the Jewish peoples recent history, that they would inflict pain and condemnation on a community of people with much of the same rhetoric that was aimed at then and which led them to claim 'Never Again' and yet here, they are the persecutors (not withstanding the attack from Hamas or rockets fired)
    • There is no question but that the 2.5M people living in Gaza have been corralled and persecuted for a long time, a lot of the support for Palestine is coming from indigenous people worldwide who feel an affinity with them given their own colonial experience.

Me personally, I've been appalled at Israel officials attempts to manipulate the suffering of the Jewish people to permit their official bodies inflict death and suffering and expulsion on a community of people. Not just officials, but defenders of their actions including on here using claims of anti-Semitism, holocaust denial etc to casually dismiss any sort of criticism of their actions. The Israeli officials wearing the star of David in the UN while it did what it was doing in Gaza is one of the most cynical and darkest moments of a countries representatives I have seen and in my mind, is an insult to the memory of those who died while wearing that badge 80 years ago.

And again, for the record, for the Nth time, I do not support a single claim of Hamas in terms of wishing to erase Israel or any sort of justification for their attack on Oct 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

About 1,000 people outside the Dail at the moment.

This Gaza War was a godsend for the opposition. They don't have to pretend to favour a winter eviction ban. Not a peep about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Going by the ridiculously unconvincing Israeli propaganda to date, it wouldn’t surprise me if they showed a sign saying Hamas HQ as proof.

Bring in supplies and medical staff to the hospital? To serve who? Most of the population of Northern Gaza has gone south as dictated by the IDF.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I think he's the guy from Blazing Saddles who said he liked rape. I didn't know his name was Norm. Every day's a school day.

• Advertisement

Well lets see hamas, ISIS, Taliban, RSF and Janjaweed.

Notice a trend here per chance.

Advertisement