Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

How exactly will they end Hamas? Hamas members will just blend back in with normal civilians. They're hardly going around Gaza with balaclavas on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

How will they cease to exist? They are amongst a population of 2 million. Israel are not going to kill 2 million. Hamas will recruit more new members than they will lose when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Do you think v.d. Leyen will freeze relations with Israel as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

You know that the IRA don't come down from the North. They went up to the North to do their bombing a lot of the time. Building their bombs in the comfort of the 26 counties. But don't let history get in the way of your anti northern irish sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And the population of Israel is 80 +% Jewish,

Walks like a duck, quacks like duck then it's a duck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Where have I advocated violence against PMVT? That is both one of the weirdest and inaccurate personal attacks I have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

After what happened on the weekend I don't think you should set any expectations on how Israel will react to it, it's going to be a bloodbath. Hamas will be lucky if they have any generations left to follow up. Nobody wants to see this but it's very hard to have sympathy for people who can do these acts and those that openly support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

EU reverses decision to 'immediately' suspend aid for PalestiniansThe European Union has reversed its commissioner's announcement to "immediately" suspend development aid for Palestinians in the wake of Hamas' attack on Israel. 

Instead, it said it would urgently review the assistance. 

"There will be no suspension of payments" at the moment, a European Commission statement said. 

It comes five hours after EU Commissioner Oliver Varhelyi said all payments from the development program for Palestinians would be "immediately suspended". 

No immediate explanation for the reversal has been given. 

So that is somewhere in the European Convention on Human Rights, is it? Or maybe the UN Charter?

Or just possibly, inside your own head?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

I wonder if Jews in ghettos in the 1940s had iPhones and committed crimes against German civilians and recorded them would everyone be so quick to condemnation? Or slaves under Jim Crow?

If you're against Hamas I hope you're aware Israel helped create them.

former Israeli officials such as Brig. Gen. Yitzhak Segev, who was the Israeli military governor in Gaza in the early 1980s. Segev later told a New York Times reporter that he had helped finance the Palestinian Islamist movement as a “counterweight” to the secularists and leftists of the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Fatah party, led by Yasser Arafat (who himself referred to Hamas as “a creature of Israel.”)

“The Israeli government gave me a budget,” the retired brigadier general confessed, “and the military government gives to the mosques.”

“Hamas, to my great regret, is Israel’s creation,” Avner Cohen, a former Israeli religious affairs official who worked in Gaza for more than two decades, told the Wall Street Journal in 2009. Back in the mid-1980s, Cohen even wrote an official report to his superiors warning them not to play divide-and-rule in the Occupied Territories, by backing Palestinian Islamists against Palestinian secularists. “I … suggest focusing our efforts on finding ways to break up this monster before this reality jumps in our face,” he wrote.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/19/hamas-israel-palestine-conflict/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Seriously the usual suspects are protesting outside the Israeli embassy already? Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

How the **** are people stupid to believe an organisation can be "wiped out"? It's an organisation, not a person ffs.

Did you say that about the Hamas massacres,rapes and kidnappings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

It appears that Israel has carried out a military operation resulting in the killing of Hezbollah fighters in the last few hours. In response, Hezbollah has retaliated by targeting two Israeli military bases.

The situation seems to have rapidly escalated, as there are now reports indicating that Hezbollah has declared a full mobilization along the Israel border. Thousands of Hezbollah fighters are on the move, heading towards their designated positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Bit of a knee jerk reaction the EU cutting off all aid to Palestine. After all, Hamas don't hold elections in the Gaza Strip where they are the de facto power, and the Gaza Strip itself is only one part of Palestine. Even Israel is only collectively punishing the people of Gaza not the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The majority of Ireland is Catholic, are we all to be labelled Catholic or be blamed for the failing of the Catholic Church?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

It seems Oliver decided himself that the Commission should suspend the funds but he had no authority to make that decision. He's been rightfully put back in his place.

These recent events have demonstrated clearly that some people and more worryingly some politicians here have no empathy at all. The ones who put up a Palestinian flag on their Twitter account as an Irish woman was going missing at a music festival with over 200 more being killed by terrorists there. Then the families attacked in their homes, women raped, children killed.

There is a time when the causes of the conflict should be explored, when the appropriate amount of blame should be shared around, but in the immediate aftermath of those events, anyone who didn't pause and close their mouth and shut down their phone or keyboard before posting support for Hamas and the Palestinians is lacking something as a human being.

I'm looking at you, Paul Murphy TD, Clare Daly MEP, MLMD, TD, etc.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. As I said in a previous post, I am a leftist but was disgusted at what some other Irish leftists were saying on Twitter about the attacks, including PBP representatives. I hate Hamas and the atrocities they committed on Saturday should be rightfully condemned. However, two things can be true at once

1. Hamas are a violent organisation whose actions should not be justified
    2. They are separate from the ordinary Palestinian citizens, who will suffer and die because of aid not being given. I've seen tweets from many people saying there are loads of Palestinians criticizing Hamas. It is a lie that all Palestinians support Hamas.

I don't agree with Paul Murphy a lot, but he is right in this instance. They are essentially going to starve innocent citizens to death, who have nothing to do with what happened. To not even give them water is a war crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Its clear someone made that decision without properly consulting and getting agreement from member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Banzai600

Think……….. this will spread beyond Israel / Gaza ?

the Middle East is worse now than it’s ever been, arguably , and who knows what it will lead to or where globally.

I suggest ppl watch CHANNEL 4 NEWS that was aired from 7pm. Ex IL pm was on. and the current IL to UK ambassador - read between the lines of what she said!

I had to google population of Gaza, appx 2 million ppl.

To green light a mass extermination is barbaric , because looking at the rhetoric coming out of US & UK that’s what they’re saying.

I don’t have any affiliation to either side , the murders and atrocities carried out are sickening , but I don’t think we’ve seen the worst of it from either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It might be that kicking Palestinian kids, and shooting Palestinians as they lie wounded on the ground might not be the best training for a soldier in an actual battle situation.

Israel is very good at using their aircraft against soft targets, but always remember that Hezbollah sent them running home from Lebanon with their tails between their legs.

Israeli soldiers are essentially trained to act as heavy-handed, heavily armed riot police. They have no experience in battle conditions, bar some of the older officers who fled from the Lebanon.

• Genuine apologies due if I have offended anyone by my post, I was simply illustrating how we would not feel so righteous in our condemnation of violence to one side or another were it closer to home. It’s easy to point fingers when you’re not exposed to the violence I guess.

The mistake is mine though, sorry again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Huge protest? Billy Boy Barret and a few of his moronic lefty buddies. LOL

I usually disagree with most of his stances, but I don't know how you could disagree with him here. Horrific as innocent Palestinians who have done nothing wrong will suffer horribly because of this.

• Advertisement

Good post. I think people are absolutely underestimating the lengths Israel will go to in order to punish Hamas for this. As Pearl Harbor and 9/11 united the US this will unite Israel in a similar way. I mean where's the protests over the judicial reforms now? Apparently all those who were refusing to obey the draft call up to the Israeli army have gone straight down to the recruiting office to sign up. If Israel was willing to hunt down, no matter where they were, those responsible for the 1972 Munich massacre, I'd wager rather large odds that the current Hamas top brass won't be alive in a couple of years time. They could flee to a cave on the dark side of the moon, but they'll still be found.

Advertisement