Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't 'have to' do anything.

The links have been posted several times already. I'm not here to make your argument for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So its the adorable word salad regurgitated so you can pretend your source hasn't praised Hamas "resistance" before.

Like I said, perfect source for you and your ilk.

Predictable.

Explaining where Hamas has come from, and saying that you can understand how it has originated does not equate to supporting Hamas.

I've no doubt there's the odd outlier who has appeared in the thread and made a dramatic statement before being removed, or tottering off themselves. But there's plenty of us here for a long time advocating on behalf of the Palestinian people who are being butchered. Those are the accounts that are relevant in a discussion as prolonged and intense as this has been.

And I've no reason to look selectively at this, I'm perfectly comfortable with facing the reality of what is being posted were it to be posted, but I've never seen this support that I'm consistently told is happening frequently. And I've spent a lot of time here over the last several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,053 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You made a statement that there are no Hamas supporters on the thread, this doesn't even begin to justify that claim. Then you even go and contradict yourself that there are Hamas supporters popping up!

You can't keep your story straight. It is a total falsehood.

If you think there's nobody on the thread supporting Hamas, you just haven't been paying attention. It can be more subtle than then obvious ones you allude to.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Theres none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Its comical.

• Advertisement

Ah, now it's the 'maps are fake' nonsense.

These maps have been referenced in the thread nearly since its opened but now it's 'the maps are fake approach'?

Tell me, was Nethanyahu's map he presented at the UN fake as well? That only happened in September, so which is it, he was lying, or showing intent?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Do you really not know what happened when Dev tried to let in boat loads of Jewish orphans fleeing Nazi Germany?

His actions, in the face of the Dail, public opinion and the Catholic Church, is why there is a forest named after him.

His support was unwavering. Not so much the rest of the country. Look up the text of the maiden speech of Oliver Flanagan in the Dail in 1943. Highlights include "There is one thing the Germans did and that was to rout the Jews out of their country" and "They crucified our Saviour 1900 years ago and they are crucifying us every day since". He had a long career, later serving as Minister for Defence. His voice was more in line with the broader public view.

Then read about the Pogroms in Limerick Pogroms in 1904. The only Irish political leaders to speak out against them were Michael Davit and John Redmond. The main instigator was Fr John Creagh who preached unbelievable bile and hatred towards the small number of Jewish refugees who had sought refuge in Limerick. He was backed strongly by the Irish Bishops.

Post edited by Ulixes on

The Map you posted showing the Arab and Jewish Palestinian areas is nonsense. Did you now know that?

Either name posters, or post links, or don't. do whatever you want.

Time and time and time again I see posts saying 'The Hamas supporters on the thread' but I genuinely can't recall seeing someone pointing out specifically within a post where it implies support for Hamas. It's always this vague 'hamas supporters in the thread'

I haven't even seen periodic Hamas supporters popping but I'm sure on a thread with 21K posts there have been some.

But this is like the old 'BLM protests are violent' when the arrest rate was something like 0.02% of people who attended protests or probably even smaller. Or like the 'the Palestine marches are hate marches' because theres a handful of hateful signs at a march of 100's of thousands of people.

Post links, name names, or don't. But stop pretending that you get to declare what is happening on the thread just because it is your say so.

But you're only advocating for the Palestinian Arabs that are being killed, not the Palestinian Jews, the ones who were actually literally butchered. You only seem to be advocating for the Palestinian Arabs who have been killed by Israeli weapons, with no real energy expended to contextualise why and who put them in harms way.

You're also not explaining where Hamas has come from, not even close. You are regurgitating anti-Israeli rhetoric that in devoid of real historical context.

• Advertisement

You'll get more flip flop word salad as a rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Tbf, there is actually plenty of sources available for this online. I posted this a while ago but still relevant to your question. If it’s not sufficient let me know and I'm sure I could easily pull more out.

Eh, you are the one who stated there were no Hamas supporters on the thread. Then you destroyed your own argument by saying they were Hamas supporters on the thread. You can't keep your story straight. So now we get this "word salad".

Then you again destroy your own argument by posting this: "Stop pretending that you get to declare what is happening on the thread just because it is your say so."

Isn't that exactly what you have done? And can't even keep your story straight when doing so.

So your words rebound right back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Okay, so you cannot post anything which shows it is the policy or objective of the Israeli Government or IDF to commit Genocide in Gaza.

There are plenty of crazy people in Israel and they have their own religious fundamentalists, most of them live in illegally occupied land in Gaza, who think they have a mandate from their God to commit mass murder. I don't think a scumbag like Netanyahu would have a problem with it but Israel is a democracy and that limits him and the nutters who keep him in power.

That's the "New Middle East" map, not the nonsense one purporting to show historic Jewish and Arab areas in what the area that was Mandated Palestine from 1947 to 2010.

Those maps have been questioned before. For example the one called "UN Plan 1947" is just that, a plan. In no way does it represent what was Jewish or Palestinian land in 1947.

It would have if Egypt, Jordan and Syria hasn't invaded and annexed all of the land they could get that was meant to be part of a Palestinian Arab homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The oft cited Oliver J Flanagan speech. Flanagan was a moron who rode a bike with “here comes Oliver J Flanagan” on the front and “there goes Oliver J Flanagan” on the back at election time.

The Limerick “pogrom” was a vile anti semetic outburst but to call it a pogrom is hyperbole. No one died, no one was seriously injured. Those involved in stone throwing received harsh sentences and the priest you mentioned was Fr. Creagh rather than receiving strong church support as you say, was rebuked, censored and eventually exiled to the Pacific.

5 families left Limerick as a result of the “pogrom”.

It is also incorrect to claim only 2 politicians spoke out against these events. For example John Daly, the mayor of Limerick condemned them.

There are few countries in Europe with a less violent history with Jewish people than Ireland.

Even in England there were anti Jewish riots and “pogroms” even after the war, such as in Manchester in 1947.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

Realistically we both know that’s something that’s not going to be specifically in text. However be it ministers, IDF officials, senior officials what they say, and the fact they think they can say it and it’s acceptable. It’s been said when someone shows you who they are. Believe them. There’s enough examples: these are people voted in, by the people! Can you honestly say the Israeli government in power right now in good faith would like equitable terms and rights for Palestinians? (Caveating this by assume Hamas have been eliminated for discussion)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

oh look what is happening over there! One doesn't excuse the other. Israelis celebrating the suffering of Palestinians and calling for incineration of Gaza should not be excused. Any equivocation from you and there is only one conclusion that can be drawn .

Can you link the map? And a source to debunk it so I look into it further. Must have missed it

I think that Netanyahu is a contemptable lowlife who should be in prison for corruption. I think it is to the shame of the Israeli people that they elected him into power. I have posted here already that Hamas and Netanyahu have the common objective of removing the possibility of a two state solution.

None of that means Israel plans to or will commit Genocide. If that was there objective there would be hundreds of thousands of dead Gazans by now.

I have said since I first posted on this thread that the events of Oct 7th were terrorist acts and they were horrific and that Hamas leaders should be targeted through the use of Mossad and the Hamas organisation should be targeted through sanctions on its funders. I'm on the record several times for stating such.

I refuse to accept though that it was solely the events of Oct 7th that has put Palestinian civilians in harms way, they have been targeted and killed probably at a rate of 10:1 for every Israeli over the last 70 years and aside from that have lived lives curtailed almost entirely at the whim of the Israel government and military.

There's one pro poster in particular on here who posts repeatedly and consistently that the only element of relevance here is the Israeli hostages. He refuses to acknowledge that there are Palestinians held hostage (at a rate of probably 10 for every Israeli), so why don't you ask them about your concerns of partisan focus.

I understand what you’re saying and I partially agree. However I find they methods in which they are using to eliminate Hamas abhorrent and essentially collective punishment. Whether or not it’s in official policy, in my view the withholding of aid, water, fuel, food, forced movement etc is a genocidal attack/ethnic cleansing. It remains to be seen if the international court of law will agree only time will tell but the fact it’s being debated across channels, governments tells me I’m not alone in that view either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Evidence of Hamas supporters in thread please.

Is this what you guys are reduced to? Me suggesting that in a very heavy traffic thread of 20K posts that there have probably been some isolated posters who dropped in and posted in favour of Hamas. Note, I said probably, I haven't even seen this but the law of averages would suggest it is likely to have happened.

And this is what you are pinning your arguments on? No evidence to present yourselves but using my words suggesting a possible occurrence as some how evidence that the thread is rife with this.

If what you are talking about was occurring you'd be linking posts or naming posters but you've done nothing of the sort.

This is embarrassing. Or at least it should be if you were being objective.

Now, this attempted redirect of all of you came about after I posted a number of posts last night that showed video evidence of An Israeli politician advocating the removal of all Palestinians from Gaza, an Israeli PM advocating for a new Middle East at the UN with Palestine removed entirely and Israeli civilians and military personnel speaking of their desire to destroy everything that exists in Gaza, all its people and to occupy what remains.

I posted this after a pro-Israel contributor here said repeatedly that they should finish their mission but wouldn't suggest what that mission was. So I showed him.

So accept the evidence of genocidal intent that is displayed from several Israeli angles or counter with how all of this evidence should be ignored. Or if you want to talk about evidence of Hamas supporters, challenge such supporters when (if) they appear.

You've all proven more this morning your ambivalence, if not tacit support (or more) for the genocide of a nation of people than we've seen on here in quite a while (well, maybe just since the display of racism we saw yesterday).

I find the methods they are using disgraceful and, worse, counterproductive. I think the use of language is important, especially when discussing such as emotive topic. That's why I find talk of genocide so disturbing, it polarises the sides even further.

• Advertisement

I listed multiple examples of the type of Hamas supporting that is going on - recopied below.

The poster I was discussing it with even acknowledged that there are Hamas supporters on the thread.

There has been quite a few posters supporting or defending Hamas over the course of the thread. Those who won't condemn them for their atrocities, the "just asking questions" brigade. Those who insinuate the entire operation was some sort of Israeli false flag operation. There were even some posts in the early stages of the thread with posts virtually cheering on Hamas, what's that phrase - sneaking regard, no doubt from those who were the sort to cheer on terrorism here.

If you think no one is supporting Hamas, you just haven't been paying attention to the thread.

Advertisement