Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Has that ever extended outside left wing parties like Sinn Fein, PBP and Labour and left wing journalists like Gene Kerrigan? I don't recall much in the way of controversy between FF / FG and Israel in the last decade or so and even mainstream media coverage of Israel has been muted enough.

Israel's under 21 football team played a European Championship play off match in Dublin last year in front of a full house and the match passed off completely without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I suspect that's a psych-op. Even Bibi wouldn't flood the tunnels knowing that hostages will likely be killed in the process, not I believe because of any moral constraint on his part, rather he knows the Israeli public will not support it. If he thought he could get away with it then he would do it. Is anyone disputing that Hamas have a network of tunnels, that are likely longer than the London Underground , throughout Gaza?. The bone of contention is whether they had a command center under the main Hospital in Gaza City. I don't believe Israel proved their case on that one. Also as Olmert indicated their man operation center is likely in Khan Younis. Sinwar(?) Is believed to be hiding in one of these tunnels. If this assessment is true, I wonder do any of these tunnels extend into Egypt?

So when do you think Hamas became aware of their existence then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't know. You might ask Blanch as he's the expert on tunnels. Or even the lad who saw the yellow Toyota jeep driving down one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I should hope a soccer match passed off without incident! We're not hooligans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I'd guess quite a while then, since the article you linked to says:

"While the fact that the tunnels were built by Israel doesn’t necessarily mean Hamas is telling the truth when it denies using them for military operations"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

US vetoes

UK Abstains

13 others vote for a ceasefire

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

And it also said this --

As the raid was carried out, Israeli forces posted videos and photos to supposedly show that the tunnels and hospital had housed militants. But the purported evidence was unconvincing, and even outlets traditionally sympathetic to Israeli officials expressed skepticism. As critics of the Israeli occupation have pointed out, the burden of proof for the claim about the tunnels should be quite high in order to justify a raid of the hospital — and so far, the evidence, ranging from interviews with hospital staff to the videos posted by Israeli forces themselves, has not conclusively shown that Israeli officials’ claims are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I was never anti Israel till the past few weeks. I went to school with Jewish lads, would still know a few.

But the state of Israel now sickens me. The best thing to happen in that part of the world is for the whole rotten place to crumble and let the population disperse.

• Advertisement

Just as we suspected -

US vetoes Gaza Resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

You are misrepresenting as per usual.

Everyone, everyone knows there’s tunnels in Gaza. The argument was whether there was a command centre under the Al Shifa hospital and personally I’ve not seen any evidence that supports that it was. Other than some tunnels that has since become apparent Israel were already aware of and used it to illustrate a CGI mock up of of a command centre to drum up support or to give them a credible reason to be bombing a hospital.

It’s entirely possible that Hamas has been in every tunnel in Gaza at one stage or another. It’s entirely possible the majority of the people working in a hospital or any place that has tunnels in, under or around has never come into direct contact with Hamas.

The amount of tunnels in Gaza reported if true, would mean in your eyes, sure the IDF can bomb and flatten the entire strip. That’s the difference between me and you. You’ll hide behind oh it’s a war, and they eliminating Hamas. But that’s BS. As for a country that markets itself as a democracy like western countries, you and I both know for a fact this would never be allowed to happen in a western country. You haven’t shown any in my view empathy towards Palestinian civilians. It’s a war… So what if it’s 15/16/17,000 people mainly children and women murdered. Hamas are evil. But so is the current Israeli policy on the conflict… but you give them carte Blanche to do what they want…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Israeli official saying today that the intense combat operations of this fightback will last only another 6 weeks.

If Hamas chose to accept a ceasefire, release hostages etc then it will be obviously much quicker ending.

So nearly over. I think we all want to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So to continue into Christmas? That would be a bad pr move I think.

So you’re calling for the destruction of the state of Israel and the dispersal of its Jewish population to other parts of the world?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can posters read the warnings in the OP and stop the petty squabbling

It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s simply a) another six weeks there won’t be much left of Gaza… or b) US would like to see it for the most part finished with US elections coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Grim reading

"As of 6 December, the Committee to Protect Journalists said at least 63 journalists (56 Palestinian, four Israeli, and 3 Lebanese) and media workers had been killed since the start of the war on 7 October."

"About as many journalists have died in the past two months as were killed in the entire 20 years of conflict in Afghanistan," said AFP Global news Director Phil Chetwynd."

https://www.rte.ie/news/middle-east/2023/1207/1420649-afp-reuters-lebanon-investigation/

Killing kids over Christmas is bad pr, for Christian audiences like America anyway. Christmas is supposed to be time of peace and all that.

• Advertisement

I don't think it matters. I this Biden has been damaged by his support for this operation. Why would the youth who are mostly against this operation come out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I am beyond sick of this. Not a single American I know would ever tie themselves to that vote, even though they have free and fair elections, but the pro-Israel Americans I know and am friends with blame every Palestinian for the actions of Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

In 1991 George Bush was able to get Israel not to respond to scud missile attacks from Iraq. Is the US political system so in hock to Israel that it can no longer keep Israel in check? As has been mentioned young people in the US are increasingly seeing the Palestinian people as those who are oppressed and don't back their country's support for the oppressor. Biden had a chance to take a moral stand, be a real leader, instead he cow towed down to Israel.

The US government is paying lip service to the slaughter and genocide of Palestinian people. Can you begin to imagine if the roles were reversed. As has been said their is a danger Netanyahu is putting the existence of Israel in danger in the long run. The Palestinian people have a right to equal respect to Israeli's. The same right to economic prosperity as every Israeli. A Palestinian life has equal value to an Israeli but not in the eyes of the US administration or the Israeli government.

According to Gideon Levy the average Israeli has been conditioned through commentary and education to view Palestinians as animals. This has eerie similarities to what the Nazi's did to normalise the liquidation of Jews.

In a couple of years time, Israel's assault on Gaza will be accepted by every government and media outlet in the West as having been hugely controversial and illegal, with multiple war crimes committed. We're living through Iraq 2003 again but arguably a much, much worse version.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To be expected of the American Government. The secretary General must have known the US would use their veto. It was all about upping the pressure on America.

The window is closing for Israel . Blinken's language is a clear sign of that.

I don't know how the Russian representative kept a straight face while speaking. The Russians are in no position to lecture and condemn anyone.

Post edited by nacho libre on

I’d agree… except Christmas is in two weeks rather than six

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

True. Suppose it might depend on who he’s up against. Either way. I’ve lost a lot of respect for Biden over this, however to be frank at the start of the this conflict I wasn’t aware of how embedded he was in the history of this situation.

The US and Germany seem massively compromised by their relationship with Israel. Even in a conflict where the Israelis are taking on the clear mantle of the bad guys and the villain of the piece, they still won't criticise them or go against them.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, Christian audiences, that's what's important🙄

Advertisement