Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's absolutely not normal and doesn't happen everywhere.

Such complete and utter bollox to legitimise israels continuing dehumanising of people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If it's on Twitter, it must be true, amiright?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I may have misinterpreted your post. Apologies if so.

I just can't get my head around either side. The hate. It's mind boggling. Maybe I'm simple, but...I dunno, it's exasperating.

Both sides are absolute gobshites, but feck sake innocents, both sides.

All for political gain. Heartbreaking and I'm not exactly a softy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You need to get your deep insights in to how suicide bombers operate in front of them

The wider middle East has seen thousands of them in the last 20 years, please make the difference.

They can join in whenever they want.

If we disagree, good. As long as its honest.

Your post wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What are you talking about? I have never posted anything racist, it's actually funny it's so ridiculous!

you can of course point them out? Theses racist posts? I will not be responding to any of your abusive posts until you can prove your statement.

Oh and my question about pro Palestinian parades stands, any anti Hamas posters? Anyone calling for Hamas to release prisoners.

Edit, poster answered my question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

What is the end game here?

I'm not an expert by any stretch but my gut tells me that this situation has the potential to spread beyond Israel itself (other than the odd sporadic rocket from Lebanon/Yemen).

If Israel continue bombing Gaza into the stone age and disproportionately killing innocent civilians, I'm guessing that actors in the West Bank/East Jerusalem, Lebanon, Iran, Yemen and Syria would become involved. I don't know how involved but if Israel were to be fighting two or more fronts, would it be fair to assume it wouldn't be pretty and could militarily escalate way beyond Israel?

I can't imagine that muslim/arab countries supportive of the Palestinians would continue to sit back as passive observers for too long? Or, once the entirety of Gaza is a wasteland, they would then just tune out?

I do know that all I want is for the fighting to stop, for the diplomats to take over and for peace/security for both sides. Blindingly naive I know...

A few have marched for Palestine with release the hostages placards, but get a lot of push back and harassment from others there.

You'd have to be very tough or flippant about your well being to call for hostages to be released at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've been in a few of these places you mentioned too, and personally, I remember one incident where a little 7- or 8-year-old girl who had a suicide vest strapped on to her and covered with an Abaya, before being sent towards the checkpoint. Luckily, one of the soldiers manning the checkpoint spotted something unusual about the sight of a little girl all by herself walking towards them and managed to get to her and disarm the belt. For sure, in situations like these, the motto is check first, verify safety (or not) and discuss afterwards. This is what the IDF are doing. The Soldiers you mention on social media saying that it was unusual in the extreme, and they had never witnessed it, all very true I'm sure, but neither are they claiming that it never happens. But I bet you if you asked if they stripped and searched captured combatants / non-combatants etc. they would tell you, it's SOP, and stark naked too, not just down to their underwear. And as we are seeing now, for the IDF it's SOP too, only difference is the nrs and the location they are being checked in.

You think it's funny refugee camps being bombed? Reporters and aid workers being killed. That type of funny?

Yes hamas should release prisoners. Idf should as well.

Question answered I believe, even though it wasn't directed at me.

So, answer honestly. War happens and innocents are slaughtered in their 1000's. Grand?

Don't go back on your previous posts. I've been honest. Your turn. Consider it cathartic.

• Advertisement

It is normal in circumstances where the suspects may have firearms or explosives on their person and anyone that doesn't put those people down and search then are putting themselves and everyone else in the area in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

An article I found very interesting and one that I think touches on a key point neglected by many in the West

Hamas and many Palestinians don't look at this in terms of campaign or objectives but over decades and from a religious point of view. They are looking at it from a world view where an almighty God is guiding them to long term victory over his Jewish enemies. They believe that with a certainty that very few leaders in the West have exhibited in a century or more.

I think the author is missing the point that Israel are aware of the mindset and are acting long term as well.

Long term thinking in the West is not something that now extends beyond the immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i am well aware of how they work thanks.

still doesn't change the fact that explosives and weapons were not the reason for the IDF'S behaviour against these civilians.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Please point out my racists posts that you accused me of, otherwise I'm not engaging with your abusive posts

What hasn't happened here in Ireland? Suspected People not being checked for weapons / explosives? For sure it has happened, remember Northern Ireland? People were checked on the street's women doing their shopping, cars stopped, and the drivers and passengers searched as well as the vehicle, and as for the one's arrested and taken to the police stations or military barracks. Being strip searched was only the beginning. Do you think that even in the present day, people arrested are not searched? You can be damn sure that they are searched, to make sure that they cannot harm anyone, including themselves.

Garda ERU stripping suspects to their boxers and making them kneel in the street.

Palestine, which this thread is about, is a long way from Ireland, and the differences between the two Countries is about as wide as its possible to get, in almost every respect yu can think of.

If Israel was that aware of the mindset, why is this happening?

Or perhaps they are totally aware and they see the only long term end game is extermination of Hamas and the Palestinians?

I do believe there are many in the West who do have a long term outlook - the two state solution has been mooted for years. I only hope that those long term visionaries prevail and that Israel does not have a long term goal of eradicating innocent Palestinians who are only where they are because of where they were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

I don't know if there have been any changes recently, but historically, the international laws of warfare have been very clear: any facility used by a belligerent is a legitimate military target and if one side chooses to use human shields, they and they alone are responsible for any civilian losses.

That was the German Empire's defense for sinking the RMS Lusitania in 1915 - that the ship was a legitimate target being not only British flagged but also - allegedly - containing prohibited military materiel, not listed on its manifest. I don't know if that was true and frankly I have my doubts, but the law was clear. So AFAIK, as long as the civilians are not the targets, it's legal. Unless da Joos are being held to some ridiculous standard that no-one else in history has been.

And that's what seems to be happening. Hamas/Gaza have made it clear that they want Israel to be completely destroyed and its people imperilled if not all killed. And yet some people seem to think that Israel has some kind of duty to co-exist with Hamas, who has been terrorising their people since Israel made the mistake of leaving the Gaza strip in 2005.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of that but it was stated in the thread that it happens here which is entirely not true.

Now you're moving the goalposts. Its very funny reading.

Where you ever there?

I think the the differences are a lot less than you think.

If the differences were so great, I'd find it very hard to understand why so many people have taken to the streets in Ireland to protest. People see the inhumanity, see the carnage thrust on the Palestinians and sympathise entirely. Possibly because the protesters have families and kids etc. and see the injustice.

Granted, its a tad warmer in Palestine than here. A bit sunnier too. And food is a bit different as is the language. But no different than hollybobs to Italy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

I see we had a few more pages going on and on about poor men without shirts and zero mentions of deliberate policy of rape of women by Hamas

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

But you said it happened plenty of times. Surely it would be ridiculous to claim as such without any form of evidence? Especially as to you it seems so normal that the IDF photographed it…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Your selective outrage is also very visible. Of all the atrocities in this war I see why you choose to be offended by rape more than murder as Israel is more guilty of that.

Can you please provide proof that the gardai as stated by you stripped people down to their underwear and photographed them in case they were wearing suicide belts… tbf you said plenty…

No-one is stopping you mentioning the horrific policy of of rape of women by Hamas as many times as you like. I have no problem with you mentioning it by the minute if that's what assuages you. Fill your boots.

But in any reasonable discussion, both sides of an argument get to say their piece (hopefully in a dignified, truthful and respectful manner)

No-one is stopping anyone calling out the IDF using human shields, raping of Palestinian children, burning Palestinian families alive in their home or the Jewish settlers who steal Palestinian land.

Horrific as it is and criminal as it is both sides have done that at different times in their history. I wish it would all stop.

• Advertisement

So there’s no evidence. It doesn’t happen in Ireland. No proof, other than what you say happens “plenty”.

so basically what you said what BS and to justify the picture the IDF too. Says. It. All.

Advertisement