Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Absolutely, that's the case. Remember when buildings in the US and Europe were lit up in blue and white colours in solidarity with Israel, that won't be happening anytime soon as it will show support for Israel's mass bombing of innocent civilians.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If they have intelligence on their locations, yes, I'm sure the likes of those countries would do what they could to extract them. In fairness to the Israelis, they have something of a track record of doing the same.

However, they aren't going to stop the war just because they might kill some of their own side. In WW2 the Allies ended up accidentally killing over 20,000 of their own captured soldiers in the attempt to defeat the enemy. It wasn't considered a major scandal, it was part of the natural consequence of war and of keeping the eye on the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭SeanW

So Israel is the only belligerent in any war in history that is not allowed to cause collateral damage? Why are you singling out Israel? How exactly is Israel supposed to fight a mortal enemy with one hand tied behind their proverbial back?

My 2 cents on the '47 borders FWIW is that they are totally impractical today. Firstly, the Jewish state called for in the '47 plan would only work for an Israel that had little or no security concerns. Obviously, that proved to be somewhat optimistic, to say the least. The second reason is that Israel had to suddenly accept waves of Jewish refugees from other parts of the Middle East and North Africa, which the leadership of Israel hadn't planned on.

In fact, there were more Jewish refugees fleeing the rest of the MENA region than Arab refugees fleeing during the so-called Nakba. Most of the Jewish refugees went to Israel and became citizens - and they are, as well as their descendants, native the MENA region. Ideally, the all the displaced Arabs should have gone to the countries that the Jews had left in a population exchange.

And don't underestimate the impact of geography on all of this, Israel's geography is absolutely horrifying for a country that is always on defence against neighbours waiting for a chance to annihilate them. And a country with so many mortal enemies (Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran, ISIS, Islamic Jihad, Al Qaeda and the Western Left among others) cannot afford to ignore military geography.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

"So-called Nakba"? Your whole post is just an indirect way of saying you support illegal takeover of territory and ethnic cleansing. For all your feigned shock at The Left earlier, you're far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

With respect, this is such a Western Armchair General comment.

What is the point in having the “moral high ground” if your citizens are being kidnapped and killed and your citizens are afraid? Israel had to act.

How far and in what manner is certainly up for debate but wallowing in self pity and moral sympathy from people in Ireland etc (who enjoy the protection of NATO and the UK and have never in living memory had to defend themselves against multiple enemies) wouldn’t really have helped Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Moral high ground is how the RCC taught Ireland to be neutral in wartime. It served their needs, wouldn't want the populace to become more self reliant.

Always easy to do when some other protects your borders (UK, US)

Yes, because the majority of refugees who had to flee during and after '47/'48 were Jewish. About 900,000 Jews fled the MENA region with 650,000 settling in Israel. The Nakba, by contrast, affected 700,000 in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

idf murder junky says the war on civilians is going to continue for a couple of months

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1227/1423798-gaza-israel/

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Nakba is a meme created by BDS and used in their worldwide campaign to delegitimize Israel.

So because it was only 700,000 and not a majority that makes it 'so-called'? You know more Slavs died in WW2, does that make it the so-called Holocaust in your eyes? Don't answer, it's rhetorical, your logic speaks for itself

• Advertisement

I think you are being more than a bit naive there if you think the IDF will be able to sustain a long term operation amongst the physical and human ruins they have created in Gaza.

Of course if they succeed in driving out most of the population first it's a different matter

The 900,000 Jews have been largely forgotten about. When we think of refugees from this particular conflict, it's nearly always considered to be synonymous with Arab refugees fleeing Israel, and not the majority which were Jews fleeing the rest of the MENA region, the majority of them in turn going TO Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That still doesn't explain why you feel the need to denigrate the ethnic cleansing of 700,000 people like you did.

But of course we really do know why, it's why you also say all 900,000 were refugees, when the exact amount is not so clear and the reality is more complicated.

"In a Knesset hearing, Ran Cohen stated emphatically: "I have this to say: I am not a refugee." He added: "I came at the behest of Zionism, due to the pull that this land exerts, and due to the idea of redemption. Nobody is going to define me as a refugee."

"Israeli historian Yehoshua Porath has rejected the comparison, arguing that the ideological and historical significance of the two population movements are totally different and that any similarity is superficial. Porath says that the immigration of Jews from Arab countries to Israel, expelled or not, was from a Jewish-Zionist perspective the fulfilment of "a national dream" and of Israeli national policy in the form of the One Million Plan. He notes the efforts of Israeli agents working in Arab countries, including those of the Jewish Agency in various Arab countries since the 1930s, to assist a Jewish "aliyah". Porath contrasts this with what he calls the "national calamity" and "unending personal tragedies" suffered by the Palestinians that resulted in "the collapse of the Palestinian community, the fragmentation of a people, and the loss of a country that had in the past been mostly Arabic-speaking and Islamic""

Ethnic cleansing is a meme, that's the moral level of the Netanyahu enablers here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So to support what we think is right thing is the fault of the RCC? There are posters here that will support Israel no matter how many civilians they kill in this operation, until Israel say they are done and this unthinking support is somehow to be admired and followed?

Did you think Netanyahu was a good guy before this operation began? Do you want to give him carte blanche to kill as many civilians as he likes?

I'm not so sure about this. With regard to "expelled or not" I mean if you're expelled from a place, you are a refugee from it almost by definition, would that not be so?

As to the concept of some having left their homes due to the "call of the land" to make Aliyah, it must be borne in mind that of the 900,000, only 650,000 went to Israel, ergo 250,000 went somewhere else. At any rate, it must take some really serious events to cause 900,000 people to leave their homes and migrate in a relatively short span of history.

And yet, things like BDS predated Netanyahu's time as Israeli PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's talk that their relentless violent assault on Gaza and its civilians could go on for another three to six months. In no way could that be seen as a proportionate response to October 7th. They've already 'lost the room' in terms of global opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

From their perspective they have to see it through. If even one Hamas rocket unit survives the war and fires on Israel then they will spin it as a victory. With this in mind there must be some in the Israeli Cabinet who like the Egyptian plan, as it offers them a way out of this which they can spin as a victory. Hamas have naturally rejected it, but I can see a point coming whereby they will accept it because again the political leadership love the rhetoric about Martyrdom but it's clearly not for them. The plan may involve giving immunity to some of their top leadership, but the question is would Israel stick to such an agreement long term.

It may not be a Hamas rocket but I could see rockets returning to being launched at Israel at some point. Unless Israel is willing to kill all men of combat age then I think Hamas will just disappear into the general populace and bide their time. I dont believe IDF will be able to occupy the Gaza strip of 2 million people considering only a few months ago they were no able to secure their own borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One huge mistake Israel has made is that they have probably emboldened the idea of Palestinian statehood and swung international opinion behind it. Palestine surely hasn't got a future as a subjugated region - subjugated by a government and a people that have nothing but intense hatred for them and who don't regard them as equals. Israel could easily win the battle but heavily lose the war.

I think anyone who does the right thing would do so without some guy in a dress pontificating from the Bronze Age Goatherders guide to the Galaxy. And no, Netanyahu was never a nice guy, no politician ever is, nor should he have carte blanche to do anything.

So if that is the case when would you ever consider no longer supporting Netanyahu's actions in gaza ? It seems that for some posters here the operation should continue until the objective is complete but they also concede that they are waiting for the Israelis to tell them when the objective is complete .

That sounds like they just allow the Israelis to continue as long as they wish, casualties be damned.

When the hostages are returned and the rockets stop falling. I've given this answer to that question repeatedly.

So you are not waiting for Hamas to concede defeat and leave Gaza? I don't think some of those others in support the operation have the same view. I don't think the IDF can just turn this operation on and off at short notice Say Hamas stop for a month and release the hostages, I don't expect the idf can easily mobilise their reserves to hammer Gaza again if Hamas commences sending rockets their way again.

This is the problem in supporting an operation led by such a bad actor like Netanyahu. You can't tell what his end goal is, or what will make him stop.

Let me turn the question around: under what circumstances should Israel try to co-exist with Hamas, a mortal enemy that wants the Jews dead?

I don't want them to co exist. But I just want posters to be clear what they support not come out with empty statements like that civilians die in war. I'm not going to support a position where the amount of civilians to die in Gaza is dependent on the goodwill of Netanyahu and Hamas. And if you support this continued operation that is the position you are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes,an unintended consequence of this war for the likes of Bibi is that he will no longer be able to maintain the status quo... I think the pressure from the American Goverment will be immense given they have isolated themselves on the world stage over this war .

if Bibi, or whoever comes next, tries to do so, then it's inevitable as you say that another militant group will form eventually, assuming the goal of eliminating Hamas can be even achieved in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sudden Valley, without reservation I utterly condemn violence in any shape or form by anyone against any innocent Men, Women and Children anywhere. With good reason, I'm a big fan of the Geneva Conventions. The comparison I made between Putin and the Israeli's is very valid, whether you think so or not. Putin has literally leveled entire cities in Ukraine, and not only cities, if he gets his way, he will eliminate ALL of Ukraine, its cities. its culture and its people and he and his government has said that. Netanyahu could very well do that too if he wanted, yet he has not done it, why? Now that's an interesting question to my mind.

• Advertisement

Not so fast. Either Israel has to co-exist with Hamas constantly attacking them (as they've been doing since 2006) or they have to fight.

There's no middle ground. Either Israel fights or it effectively surrenders. Under what circumstances should they thus stop fighting?

Advertisement