Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,348 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd suggest that if you don't like your inconsistencies being pointed out to you then be more careful when you make them.

What the UAE or Saudi Arabia give or don't give is of no consequence to Ireland or any other country. Nor should it be. If you can give us a reason why it should be, then fire ahead. You've told us it has nothing to do with ethnicity or religion, so tell us why their actions should be informing ours?

Might it be your case that Saudi and UAE are the global leaders on human rights and that we should always follow their lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

sigh. it’s there and you know it. i’m not wasting my time taking back over 970 pages. you were called out on it and defended yourself.

How many times have posters on here (perhaps even yourself) posted to the effect that the fact that other countries won't "take in" Palestinians as "proof" that Palestinians are (at best) undesirables and therefore less deserving of help.

Would you apply that same logic to the case of Jews fleeing Germany in the 30's and 40's? Or would that be another one of those selective inconsistencies that appear to be quite common among posters on these threads - the fact that Egypt won't take in 2m Gazans en-masse is somehow proof that Palestinians are inherently undesirable but the fact the Ireland wouldn't take in Jewish people 80+ years ago is somehow proof that Irish are racist today. We can't, of course, flip those to say that the reason that Egypt won't take in 2m Palestinians is that they are racist and the reason that Ireland wouldn't take in Jewish people is that they are inherently undesirable. This is why I find such logical inconsistencies to be fascinating. Because the person posting them has obviously convinced themselves that the dissonance doesn't exist.

Given that you already have to reach back over 80 years to try to score some stupid point, why not go the whole hog and point out that there were no Jews in Ireland under Brian Boru.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Said without evidence dismissed without evidence

It’s nothing to do with “brown” as you well know.

They are in the region, some have vast wealth and influence and aren’t a bit shy about criticising Israel etc. How many refugees do SA, Iran and other neighbouring countries etc take in? Why do you think Iran didn’t want the SA/Israel deal to go ahead?

Your bringing up the race thing over and over is still very boring and weak but overheal is a fan so.

• Advertisement

You have plenty of posts on here, and you have plenty of opportunity to explain yourself. Which you haven't done - only resorted to ad hominem.

I'll ask the question of you that I asked of SeanW. If geography and distance is your defining factor for deciding on aid, then did you equally protest Ireland giving aid to Ukrainians given that Cairo is closer to Kyiv than Dublin, yet Egypt were not taking in as many nor giving the same assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The countries that suspended or stopped funding are hypocrites too. Many supplying the weaponry to Israel to be used against children. But you're probably in support of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Because they have evidence, including cell phone records placing them at the massacres. Also, this evidence plus further information that 10% of the organisation are Hamas or PIJ operatives, with 50% having close ties to members of said groups, was deemed compelling enough for multiple countries to suspend funding. I know some people won't believe an Israeli news outlet but the other articles on the WSJ and NYT are paywalled.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-intel-shows-10-of-unrwa-workers-in-gaza-have-ties-to-terror-groups-report/

You have 11,500 reasons to wave your Israeli flag. One for every child murdered, average age 5 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Robert Nairac

That Ireland continues to give money to UNRWA is disgusting and unsurprising. State financing of Islamic terror. Probably the most antisemitic country in the Western world; a rotten distinction to have.

Jihadist terror attack on Jewish people in North London. The left has created an environment where people feel comfortable in engaging in antisemitic acts. They emboldened antisemites.

Saw a girl at the protest in Cork wearing a Hamas headband. "Anti-zionist" I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Stick to eating taytos instead of making assumptions on what I do or don't support.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Removing UNRWA will fast track the famine and disease which meets Israel's objectives.

What are their objective?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭tandcapply

Jews lived in European countries for hundreds of years, even during WWII, most Jews killed were Europeans and many wanted to go back to their countries of origin or remain in their countries after WWII ended in 1945 and in the few years following that, there was no other country for them. Britain wouldn't let them go to Israel to join the jews there.

Palestinians AFAIK, never lived in Europe and despite the Irish love affair and false similarities with the Irish struggle, did exactly F all for the western world or Humanity, were 30% of novel prize winners, for example, are (mostly) European Jewish and Israelis since the 50s.

No one wants the Palestinian even now because any country that took them on, never got them integrated (Lebanon, Jordan, even Ireland with it's freedom fighters import after the siege they put on a church).

This "Palestinian problem" dates back to 1948 or 1967, whichever way you incline

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭tandcapply

I see some people here keep looking for proof for Hamas wrongdoings, but when given any proof,they dismiss it off hand.

This is not a real discussion, just trolling in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They have been confirmed by the head of the agency, who said he has sacked some staff.

The allegations relate to 50% of the staff being involved with Hamas. That needs investigation.

We expect more from a allegedly neutral UN organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh dearie me. You have read the book and still don't get the cultural reference?

I now feel like I am living in 1984.

Yes Blanch, especially in the middle of a genocide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Let's see what their ministers are saying at the moment

"Several of the lawmakers who addressed the event, including far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, spoke about “encouraging voluntary emigration” of Palestinians from Gaza, as well as resettling the Strip, which Israel withdrew from in 2005. Participants broke into singing and dancing, with Ben Gvir among those seen joining the celebrations. Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party, went further, suggesting that the emigration need not be voluntary during wartime."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sorry to break it to you but Irish people have empathy, they dont want to see children dying due to lack of food, water and basic medical care. Or do you think the children are to blame for attacking Israel? Calling Irish people anti semitic is like calling the pope a Muslim, no human being could be that silly.

• Advertisement

So now it is a "cultural reference". 🤣 ............ The word which doesn't appear anywhere in the book is a reference to that book . Perhaps it is also a cultural reference to Peig? War and Peace maybe too. It probably doesn't appear in either of those either.

The poster knew full well what he was doing when applying it to Palestinians. As do you. Even though you did not apply it directly, you are standing up for it's use.

So to repeat, the fact that "nobody wants" Palestinians proves that the Palestinians are undesirables (or as strongly implied - subhuman)?

Whereas the fact that "nobody wanted" the Jewish people proves that everyone else was just racist?

Same broad scenario, completely contradictory conclusions.................Pick and choose random a-la-carte masquerading as some kind of "logic"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

First, you’re the one chucking the word “racists” about. I just called you out again for it so you are really describing your own tactic.

Secondly, I didn’t say it was a defining factor but it’s certainly interesting to me. I’m not sure anyone has answered the original post btw especially since you tried to confuse the issue with your weak racism ‘argument’. It’s interesting to me that it appears the local wealthy countries aren’t as interested and/or invested as the evil westerners.

You "called me out" on something? Are you going on again about all these phantom posts about me calling you a racist. That there are so many of them that you can't find them.

I thought you had accepted that and I was happy to leave you slink away with your tail between your legs. Why bring it up again? It's lies. You simply resort to ad hominem. So I will now invite you again to post all these links to post of me calling you a racist.

If you keep bringing it up, I'm going to keep asking you for the posts. Your choice.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Robert Nairac

No empathy shown for the victims of the Palestinian terrorist attack of October 7th somehow. That you think Irish people cannot be antisemitic is nonsensical. There are plenty of antisemites in this country.

How many terrorists must UNRWA employ before you would support withdrawing funding? It is inappropriate to give money to an organisation whose members participated in the greatest killing of Jewish people since the Holocaust.

Gazans elected Hamas. They support Hamas. They overwhelming supported the terrorist attack of October 7th according to a survey conducted by a Palestinian university. It's a shame that children will needlessly die in this conflict.

Palestinians should leave terror and Jihadism behind. It has brought them nothing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

How many terrorist IDF soldiers should be allowed to be captured live on camera executing defenseless Palestinian civilians before the Western countries stop sending the zionists that lovely money and weapons?

We've had plenty of examples - not least them shooting "their own" 3 people - literally explained away by a spokesperson at the time as being that they were shot because they were dressed like Palestinian civilians. The woman walking across the square waving the white flag with her child. The man caught on camera last week by the ITV correspondent also waving the white flag and getting shot as he walked down the street (it was even raised in the UK parliament).

Will you call for any action on those? Most likely not. But will you chomp at the bit at any excuse to starve the Gazan population ......... your post gives the impression you would. All we have is an initial claim that the IDF got 12 names from "interrogating terrorists". Less than one tenth of one percent of their employees........and even at that the Israelis later changed to their claim to being that they got the info from surveillance..............but a good enough excuse for many to collectively condemn a population to even more starvation.

Israel gets what it wants. It is in control and cultivates the environment in which certain groups are the only ones that can prosper. The is an irony in someone with your username being apparently oblivious to such facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One of the dumbest opinions I have ever read on this site and that is not an exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Irish people have plenty of empathy for the Oct 7th attacks, it's just we don't think it gives a licence for murdering thousands of innocent children. Hamas attacked Israel not Palestine or are you trying to claim children in gaza have blood on their hands? Antisemites in Ireland exist in your imagination due to the fact that you cannot grasp the fact that anti Zionism and anti semitism are very different. I like Jewish people but I draw the line at Jewish people who think nothing of young children getting murdered.

I'm in favour of waiting till we have had a chance to investigate into how many UNWRA employees were involved in Oct 7th before making our decision. If Israel want to be viewed as a civilised country then surely they should care about children starving to death.

Yes terrorism makes things worse but murdering civilians tends to produce more terrorists

Advertisement