Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Ivy

Options
  • 07-10-2023 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Looking for guidance on this, please.

I have a holiday home on Donegal with a stone shed in the garden, the exterior of which is covered in thick ivy. We decide to get rid of the ivy this year, so when I was up mid August, I found the main trunk can cut through it in a few places, taking out a vertical section of it about 10" long. I searched all around the base of the ivy and this was the only place I could find any stem/trunk coming up from the ground.

Just came up again yesterday (so ~6 weeks on) and there doesn't appear to be any sign of the ivy dying yet. I have heard it can live on for a bit, via its suckers into the mortar etc. but I have no idea how long this might continue.

Can I be reasonably confident it will now die & I will be able to take it down early in the new year, or is there something else I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I did the exact same thing in the same circumstances. I then pulled the ivy off so far as I could. Part of the shed eaves (it was being re-roofed) had to be dismantled to get the ivy out from between the stones, but it is now gone. I treated the stump with weedkiller and it hasn't re-grown. Its generally easier to pull it down live than dead I think. The stump is better treated when it is just cut. I hacked and slashed at it, it was pretty big, and put weedkiller on the slashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

When i've taken ivy down in the past I find it easier to take dead off than live, but if its still alive after Christmas I'll hack it down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I took it off the stone shed live and it pretty much came off in one large sheet. Likewise with ivy on a gate post, the dead stuff had to be picked and scraped off twig by twig.

Advertisement