Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn care - Availability of pre-emergent herbicides like Tenacity in Ireland/EU

Options
  • 07-10-2023 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have finally gotten around to seeding my lawn after building the house a few years ago. I killed the weedpatch off over the summer using repeated treatments of Glyphosate and last week I levelled it out, tilled it, drag levelled it as best I could and sowed the seed. It is doing well, with visible signs of germination after only 5 days. I am seeing some weeds come up though and these are probably seeds from annuals that I missed with the weedkilling done in the summer. I probably watch too many US Facebook lawn care videos to be considered healthy but anyway they often use this "pre-emergent" weed killer called "Tenacity", which forms a barrier a few cm below the surface, through which weeds won't germinate (especially annual weeds coming back from the seeds left in previous years). I live in Germany and haven't been able to find it or anything similar, with some reports of it being banned in the EU. Does anyone know if this is true or if perhaps such a pre-emergent weed killer is available at home in Ireland? I'm not going to illegally import anything into the EU if it's banned here. I will import stuff into Germany from somewhere else in the EU if it's legal there though!

Cheers :-)

Advertisement