Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No power to house.

Options
  • 07-10-2023 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just got in from work relaxin , had my take away and half way through my shower there is no power in the house at all.

Neighbours have power, so it’s just me.

no power going to the Meter either by the looks of it.

I’m presuming there is a fuse before the meter? There is a big black housing below the meter.

is that fuse my responsibility or is it ESB networks?

Or does anybody have any ideas?

I won’t be touching anything myself, I’m just wondering if the fuse is gone then who’s responsibility is it.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If it's anything before the meter it is ESB Networks. Call in an outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Thanks,

if there is no power at the meter then it must be before it right?

• Not necessarily the meter won’t spin if the power is completely off inside. The problem may well be internal.

Have any fuses tripped or anything? If you own the house call an electrician and if renting contact your landlord asap to arrange one.

Id ring ESB as well but it’s very unlikely that your supply from them has stopped but everyone else is grand. Could be the meter fuse so worth giving them a shout I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Have you checked all trip switches in the consumer unit? If no power getting to the consumer unit ring ESBN

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah there should be a replaceable fuse in the meter cabinet, it might have blown

Bad news is that ESB networks are the only ones who can replace it, and they don't work for free

If you blew the fuse then that could be a sign of a serious fault. It's really the last resort, the main fuse on your fuse box should trip before that happens. I'd double check the fuse board before ringing ESBN

Do you have one of those instant heat electric showers? They draw a lot of power, so if something else kicked on like the heating then it could push you over the limit for your ESB connection

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies,

It’s a digital meter , i’ve checked everything on my Board, and everything is up , I reset them all as well.

I just logged the fault there online with ESB networks, 151euro callout charge if is not their issue :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If the problem is your side esb will charge you if it's their problem they won't charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yes. Are you urban or rural? Is your neighbour on the same supply line or are you supplied from different lines or ESB networks transformers? If your supply is overground is there any chance the line might be down / damaged. If your supply is underground is there any nearby construction / digging than might have hit the line?

Report the outage to ESB networks. Anything up to and including the meter is their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

This is where the non-contact tester comes in handy

Costs a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Are you urban or rural? I have had neighbours down the road in a rural area with no power and when I checked the supply with a power meter it showed a problem outside between the house and the pole which just affected their house so you might be ok if that's the case.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

I’m in shannon town beside the airport and the big industrial estate, power supply is reliable, when it does happen to go down it’s usually back up pretty quickly.

to answer your question I’m in a terrace house and it’s definitely just my house.

Well , now that’s service.

ESB networks were out , main fuse blown and replaced.

• Wow! Nice one.

Id say worth having an electrician take a look at the internals just to make sure there wasn’t anything inside that caused it to blow!

Yea , I’d say about 40 mins to logging the fault and arrival at my place.

well impressed :-)

it’s a terraced house from the early 70’s

Old fuse he said,

it’s 63amp DZ fuse , and it looked old. Metal ends were rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I guess 50+ years is a pretty good service life for a fuse.

I'm impressed with ESB networks speedy response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

did you have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Esbn will likely have checked for any damage at contact points the fuse holder and gage ring . Should be ok if there's no overload issues present

Have a voltstick handy it will quickly determine ESBN fuse is blown you'll usually pick up the incoming supply into the cabinet and see the break downstream.Doesn't require any electrical skills .

Advertisement