Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

Yes, the draw being made three years ago is total bollocks, three of the top five being in one pool and 5 of the top 5 in the same side of the draw is nonsense.

That being said, we're playing the worst New Zealand side possibly ever and the other side of the draw is piss-easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

2 top flight clubs went bust in England last season too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Basketball: 57 world cups = 7 winners

Baseball: 39 world cups = 9 winners (Cuba with 25 wins!)

Soccer I already did

Cricket: 12 World cups = 6 winners

The audience numbers have nothing to do with how hard it is to be world #1 at something!

All these "global" sports you mention are just as niche as you claim Rugby to be once you actually look at the stats and see which and how many countries dominate.

Its like some people are afraid that liking Rugby will damage Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Rubbish,

Soccer in the last 9 world cups have had 25 different countries take part in quarter finals - that is a competitive sport. A global power in soccer Italy didn't even qualify for the last world cup.

Rugby in the last 9 world cups have had 11 different countries compete in quarter finals and let's be honest it will be a similar amount after another 9 world cups. It actually has had 90 percent the same countries participate at every world cup. It's uncompetitive and taken seriously by the same 8 to 10 countries. It's actually going backwards.

There is no comparison between the sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Irish sports fans are tremendous band wagon hoppers for the most part. At least England have won the world cup before.

I was listening to the morning Ireland and there was a musical montage after the match on Saturday. A group game win over Scotland. Seemed a bit gloaty to me.

There seems to be a lot of people who think Ireland already have the world cup won. I really hope, for their own sake, that they are not really disappointed.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

no never

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭17togo

As mentioned above by another poster, there's plenty of teams that have broken into that elite group at different times. That's very unlikely to happen in rugby.

Brazil Spain or France etc can get beaten by a team like Ireland and have done. Scotland beat Spain recently. Italy didn't even qualify for the last tournament. North Macedonia beat them if I remember correctly. Spain and Germany have gotten eliminated at the group stages. Again very unlikely to happen in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I started going to Ireland Games about two years before Jack Charlton took over. the 1986 world cup qualifying group I remember us getting beaten 4-1 and home to Denmark.

I distinctly remember the ticket vans on Lansdowne Road and they couldn't give tickets away. Jack Charltons first home game against wales I remember. Not exactly packed to the rafters. It was qualification for the euro 88 tournament and world cup in Italy that got crowds into lansdowne for football regularly and not the other way around.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They won a 6 nations. Reaching a semi would be an achievement, reading a final would be incredible.

Ireland needs to get past the qtr's and see what happens then

We won a Grand Slam and are the #1 team in the world. This team has beaten the best of the best.

Reaching a semi will only be an achievement because we are drawn against the best teams in the world.

• Advertisement

We don’t have a good history in the Workd Cup, if we did we could get cocky but we dont

so yes to get taken semi would be an achievement, once we get that far who knows what will happen

injuries alone could scupper our chances

Injuries are admittedly a nuisance.

Hopefully everyone comes back fit and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

the amount of people at pains to point out that rugby isnt/couldnt be as popular as their beloved sport, usually soccer, is hilarious.

it reeks of insecurity and snobbery.

my dads bigger than your dad etc

live and let live. sports can co-exist and you can like more than one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Regularity of upsets is more to do with how scoring in the sport works in this case as opposed to level of competitiveness internationally - in soccer a lesser team can score a fortunate goal, park the bus and close out a 1-0 win. This isn’t an option in rugby as it is much higher scoring generally and there are many ways for a superior team to exploit mismatches e.g. in the scrum etc that they can score from. It’s more similar to basketball than soccer in that regard.

All that being said upsets can and do happen in international rugby. Tonga beat France in the World Cup a few years ago, Japan beat South Africa. Even in the last few months Georgia have beaten Wales and Fiji have beaten England. Samoa very very nearly beat England over the weekend, coming within a point and only losing in the last few minutes. Granted upsets are less common for reasons I explained above, but it makes them very meaningful when they do happen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Soccer is a much bigger sport than rugby union and Charlton was a far bigger name than Farrell pre Irish job and much more charismatic figure so no not even if they win the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine being the number one side in the world and still thinking that a semi final is a big achievement.

I don't care if the game is Rugby or Rodeo, if you are the best in the world then you should be expecting to win the **** thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, most rugby players wouldn't be suited to playing soccer and most soccer players wouldn't be suited to rugby - so it's a bit unfair to compare the two. This would still be the case if rugby was played in every working class area in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Yea I agree but before the media made Vera Pauw the meat in their media sandwich there was rumblings of her being held in a venerated way after the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Reaching the QF is no achievement.

It would have been an absolutely epic failure had they not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

The way the FAI and the women’s team treated Pauw was nothing short of a disgrace.

That particular squad are drunk off the fumes of Pauw’s own success, I’m looking forward to them falling flat on their faces in the next campaign.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A lot of insecurity from the football fans.

Reaching the semis would be a big achievement, why would it not be?

"I don't care if the game is Rugby or Rodeo, if you are the best in the world then you should be expecting to win the **** thing."

Since when?

Brazil and Belgium were no 1 and 2 in the world before the 2022 world cup. Belgium didnt get to the final 16 and Brazil were knocked out by Croatia (the no 12 team) in the quarters.

Argentina and France were no3 and no4 and they went to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

You see that's a competitive sport , Belgium number 2 in the world didn't get to the final 16. In a sport that only 10 teams play we have never got past the last 8 , hopefully we do this weekend but comparing it with soccer is just plain stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well Belgium are seen as serial underachievers considering all the talent they have so................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Looking at winners only is a false narrative as to a sports strength. Why not list the Quarter Finals of competitions and look at the difference. How many times is it the status quo? How many new teams are there?

Anyway I have yet to see a cogent argument in this thread as to why Farrell WILL get the adoration Charlton received. I think there should be a poll or something on it.

I guess it would be about 80 to 20 against Farrell getting that level of adoration?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In what way? It's noticeable that there has been very little transitioning between professional players who have played rugby and those who play soccer, certainly after the age of 16 or so. Rugby is all about sheer physical strength and ball handling skills : soccer more about speed and footwork. Also, the vast majority of soccer players are under 6ft in height.

There were only 11 on Jack's teams so doesn't add up! He had Houghton, Townsend, Babb, Phelan v Italy 1994. So 7 Irish. Andy had Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, Van der Flier, Doris, O'Mahony, Sexton, Ringrose, Keenan. That's 11.

You're talking fudge Seamus😅

Yes Andy will get the Jack treatment. Everyone loves a winner.

• Advertisement

Andy will also get a civic reception in Belfast Hall.

That'll be good oul craic!

Advertisement