Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie & Fitch BBC Panorama Allegations

Options
  • 08-10-2023 4:38am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another despicable, vile narcissist preying on the vulnerable for his own pleasure. 😡👎👎

The BBC Panorama documentary into the unfolding scandal that was broadcast a couple of days ago painted a picture of young, handsome, fame hungry and naive young men being sexually coerced, drugged and even gang raped by former Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries, his partner and their associates in return for modelling opportunities. Some of these men were trafficked abroad for sex.

Jeffries comes out of the documentary as as a manipulative, disgusting sexual predator who preyed on vulnerable young men who wanted fame and success - but the price was too high for most.

I was too old and untrendy to ever shop in Abercrombie & Fitch. I presume with these revelations that their brand is finished now. I really hope Jeffries and any others involved in these abuses are brought to justice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Justice in like a court and stuff?

/zoolander

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It doesn’t sound like they were forced to perform any sex acts. The article makes it clear that these encounters were transactional. It’s certainly unethical, but everyone involved made their own choices and benefited in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

"Thinking "the hardest part was out of the way", Alex flew to Marrakesh for the event a few weeks later. But moments into his dance, he said, Mr Jeffries tried to kiss him. "I was trying to be in it without offending him. I was extremely uncomfortable," Alex said.

Eventually, he said he went to hide in a back room where he fell asleep. Alex said he woke up with a condom inside him and feared that the champagne he had been given earlier had been spiked."

And even ignoring the above, it's coercion based on a power dynamic. It's the exact kind of king that Weinstein used engage in. Is there any kind of sexual abuse that you won't defend or downplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Yes, there are types that I consider abusive and predatory. But cases of a transactional nature amongst adults don’t fall into this bracket. I can accept that you have a different opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Reminds me of this great book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Op: "painted a picture".

A few paragraphs later: "these revelations".

Paint a picture = revelations.

Thats how it works now. No need for a court, just 'paint a picture' and it becomes a revelation.

Advertisement