Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Training Rehomed Adult Dog

Options
  • 08-10-2023 11:02am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Looking for a bit of help. In the past two weeks, we rehomed an adult Labrador Cross from Dogs Trust, about 10 years old. He was there for over two years, and it seems maybe poorly treated before that.

We have brought him home and his bed is in the kitchen. However, at night, he goes to the toilet here more often than not. I'm not sure what way to train him and I have tried various methods online.

We've tried the odur sprays but it doesn't appear to have any impact.

We reward when we see him go to the toilet in the garden with treats. We don't do this on walks, as he could go piddle several times. He doesn't do his poos here, just at home in our kitchen at night or in the garden.

I'm hesitant to put him into a smaller room like the utility as I don't want it to feel like he's back in the kennel, and there's no natural light. If I put up a child's gate, I'd be confident he could jump it. That just seems to move the problem, rather than address it. The same goes for crates I read about, just think it's a bit unfair.

He has the run of the garden and house, with the back door open all the time weather permitting but he tends to prefer to stay inside. If we're nearby, he won't go at all to the toilet in the garden.

Hes walked twice or three times a day including immediately before bed. He comes back in gasping, so he does drink before bed which I imagine won't help but don't want him to be gasping all night either.

Dinner is at 8am and 6pm, we moved it out from 4pm to see if that helped but it appears not. He's brought out depending on the day around 6am or 7am first for a run around the garden.

Any other suggestions? This is only a problem over night, or the odd time if we go away for a few hours and we can't leave the back door open.

Appreciate anyone's help!

Advertisement