Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best thing to use to seal around network cables in ceiling?

Options
  • 08-10-2023 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I've run a few CAT6 cables around the attic and into access points in rooms , I'm wondering how best to seal the holes around the cable so that I can pop it out easily enough in future should I need to replace a cable ( due to rodent damage for example )

I'm thinking of plugging the majority of the hole with silicon and putting a thin skim of polyfilla over the bottom just to blend it in a bit, either that or just leave it as silicon. Anyone have any better suggestions?

The cables I ran are the flat CAT6 type ( link just for illustration, not actually these ones) to make them less obtrusive so that might alter the recommended way to fill.

The ceiling is the standard drywall panel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grommets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Filler or caulk if it's visible, silicon sealant if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I used this approach to do the exact job you post about OP

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TubeAlloy

Thanks folks, I've read elsewhere that caulk can corrode wires though and as I said I'd ideally like to be able to pop it out again pretty easily for repairs. I'll have a look into grommets Lumen, I never thought of them in my mind they're only used in mechanics or built into furniture / office spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Mmmmm, not sure how something like painters mate, could pass through pvc jacketed cables and hen corrode copper wires that are also insulated.

The fella above mentioned grommets. Fine option but needs precision in hole size and depth, as far as I am aware.

A quick shove of a blunt screwdriver would not be long moving caulk. Knife to remove the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 TubeAlloy

Cheers I did a bit more digging and it turns out there's 2 types of sealers. The acid-cure ones are the ones that can corrode the copper ( obviously it needs to get inside as you say but these ribbon cables are pretty thin, all it would take is a pinhole )

Advertisement