Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace 2 electric showers with T90SR silent pump showers

• 08-10-2023 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much an electrician would charge to replace these plus install a switch so that both showers could run simultaneously, if needed? East cork area , ballpark figure? One in main and the other in en-suite

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s not possible to run both showers simultaneously in a standard domestic installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Unless you have a three phase supply you can't run two pumped electric showers at the same time - two pumped electric showers would need more power than is available from a standard domestic supply.

If two pumped electric showers are installed they must have a priority or nonpriority changeover controller which only allows one shower to run at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭John.G

You could, on 1/2 power each, but the showering experience won't be overwhelming, 1.9LPM from mains at 6C for a few months of the winter, 2.15LPM from mains at 10c for a good few months and 2.8LPM from mains at 17C for maybw 3 months. Also, if you go for priority switching remember there are two types, one, (the real priority) will all ways make one shower priority, if you are having a shower in the other one and someone switches on the priority one then the non priority one stops and the priority one starts, the "non" priority means that whichever one is running, remains so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

and invalidate your insurance when, not if, the fire starts.

Half power requires human intervention to keep you safe which is complete b*****

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

No electrician would connect the two showers like this. The only way to connect both is through a priority / non-priority changeover relay so only one can be powered at any time.

I'd suggest non-priority is best option to avoid the possibility of the lower priority shower losing power mid shower if someone turned on the higher priority shower in a priority changeover relay setup.

Connecting both without a changeover relay to prevent both running at the same time would create a significant risk of blowing the main supply fuse, requiring a ESB networks call out to fix and also create a risk of causing an electrical fire. It's academic anyway because no electrician would connect both like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Non-priority is the only way or adequate supply for 2

Isn't there still that risk with non priority that someone tries the second shower and it restarts when first shower ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Agreed

I believe ESB charge around €160 each time they are called out to replace this fuse. One call out fee would more or less cover the cost of the priority /non priority switch (around €150 last time I heard)

Consumers main overcurrent protective device should go first in theory

Dunno if it always does or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭John.G

A real possibility I'say if someone walks away without switching off at the pull cord isolator, its easy to forget that the shower stop/start is just that, requires one press to start and another to stop, same thing can (and has happened to someone I know) happen if you're in the shower with a power failure and you step out without either pressing the sart/stop using the isolator, this person went off shopping for ~ 2 hrs and found the bathroom like a sauna as the power had been restored while away.

I found this somewhere a long time ago re priority/non priority but it it may be incorrect as it doesn't seem right to have two normally closed contacts for protection.

"The 2 showers are fed through 2 separate contactors, the contactors have contacts that are normally closed (n/c) so both showers have 230v up to them when they are not actually running. Shower one goes through its contactor, but its contactor is controlled by the current sensor of shower 2 and vice versa. So when shower 1 is actually set in motion the current it draws is sensed by the current sensor around its power cable which energises the contactor of shower 2, which now opens the contacts of the second contactor so now shower 2 has no power up to it so it cant be started. And the same if shower 2 is started. Once one is going the other cant start. This is a non priority interlock.

The priority one only has one contactor and is similar in operation except shower 1 can be started but will knock off shower 2 if shower 1 is started even if shower 2 was running, once shower 1 is started shower 2 cant start. Shower 1 is the priority one in this case because it can over-ride shower2."

This probably explains it all.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058146444/non-priority-shower-unit-explained

Priority is a joke

The flood hazard stuck with me because my inspector warned me about it back in the day

I fitted a sensing relay and contactor into a main board for 2 showers. He pointed out that i was "designing" rather than purchasing a system that could cause a flood hazard .

I presume manufacturers don't approve of priority or non priority units . I think they still restart when power is restored

Post edited by kirk. on

• Advertisement
Advertisement