Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Biscuits?

Options
  • 08-10-2023 3:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi…..where, pref. YouTube, is a good place to go to learn how to make/ bake biscuits? Choc/jam/nuts etc etc. Or a good book? (Novice standard)

Watching GBBO #2. Biscuits 😀😀😀. Need some sugar in my system today. We’ll done Ireland 🫤🍺🍺.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'd be wary of YouTube, some of them make complicated biscuits look easy, especially icing, which isn't very essential and can be tricky.

On the other hand there are many fine recipes on YouTube too. Trial and error, I'm afraid.

In fact biscuits are not difficult but there are important points to bear in mind: like, they are small, so they burn easily.

Bake them on baking parchment on a flat tin.

Use a good cookery book and be prepared to watch your biscuits closely (check after 9 minutes)

I make THOUSANDS of biscuits every Christmas, it is my speciality!

I have good recipes for gingerbread, butter cookies, choc-chip, etc etc

Ask me anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! Is the baker in our house, she gets most of her best recipes, like myself, from here

She made these again today. The perfect brownie. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Also, a fundamental thing is that unless you’re looking at a UK or Irish YouTube channel, take the butter quantities with a pinch of salt. Out butter is higher in fat I believe than the US version so you need less. I can’t remember the exact difference but in sure those in the know here will be able to elaborate. I’d stick to odlums or the BBC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Not specifically biscuit related but I also like BBC Good Food recipes. Mostly because you don't have to scroll for two weeks to get past all the story and photos, just to get to the actual recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 justdavidalone

It depends on you where are you comfortable on looking the recipes. Youtube is more convenient because in just one click you can have all the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

That’s one thing I absolutely do not get about a lot of US recipes. You literally have to read through the life story of the person posting it, what they had for breakfast that morning they wrote it and why it’s meaningful to them. What the hell like???

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

What type of biscuits do you make for Christmas and how do you package?! I would like to give some as gifts but they can go soft quickly if not in airtight containers I would imagine!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

On a similar note, I find US biscuit/cookie recipes to have way too much sugar! I tend to now stick to UK/European recipes for biscuits. For example there's a chocolate chip cookie recipe I love but I actually use around 80g less sugar than the recipe states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Some of my recipes are on my blog...http://thetastebudtest.blogspot.com/2009/12/miniature-perfection-biscuits-how-to.html

I have about 8 or 10 large "Tupperware" type boxes and each batch goes into one of those when baked.

Then when I come to pack them for presents, I have 1-litre boxes (like ice-cream boxes, or cheap from Dealx etc) and I put a handful of each different type in all the boxes, so everyone gets a selection. Clip lids on, wrap and give...this happens just before Christmas itself. But in fairness, the bickies stay fresh in the smaller boxes for a couple of weeks,

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

Exactly!! I find this so annoying. I mean, really, just list the ingredients, how hard can it be...😖

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 fionamcc

Biscuits-my life in 7-9 min increments. LOL Biscuits are so easy to make, it's always been a wonder to me that people will buy them pre-packaged. There are some recipes that are bit more specific than others, like spritz which are mainly butter and flour. Or my grandmothers date and marachino christmas ones. But most are the same basic base and then you add what you want for flavor or bits. Once you have that basic base down, it's pretty easy.

As for Christmas gifts? The one I get asked for all the time is a date ball. Not your typical biscuit, but it's so tasty and easy. It's just 500g dates, 100g of sugar, 110g butter and 100g of rice krispies. Put the dates, sugar and butter in big pot, cook over low heat until it just starts to bubble a little. Add the rice krispies and stir. Then butter your hands and take out bits with a teaspoon and roll into walnut size balls. Drop the balls into toasted coconut and roll them around to cover. Be careful, it's hot and sticky so go liberal with the butter on your hands. You have to roll them while their hot or they'll harden in the pot. But the red hands are so worth it! You can add a bit more sugar if you want a little sweeter, but dates are already so sweet you don't want to get too heavy handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Thanks for that! Any preference to the date? Madjool would make these quite expensive. Will any stoned date work?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There are a few diabetics in our family. Mrs Billy (the family baker) sometimes cuts the recommended sugar amount by 40-50% with little noticeable change in the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fionamcc

Any stoned date will do. I used those bagged chopped dates, saves me time when making them.

Advertisement