Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension- Cavity or Solid block wall

Options
  • 08-10-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I am looking at extending out house. A builder we are thinking of proceeding with has suggested building a solid block extension with 100mm external insulation and 38mm internal plaster board. Would this be recommended instead of cavity wall insulation? (150mm cavity wall would have be the normal approach i would hVe heard off)

Any thoughts/ experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Very poor wall spec there for a number of reasons. Far better to go with thicker ewi and no iwi. I'm guessing the builder is suggesting his spec because it's easier for him.

Who is looking after certification and part L in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dsmall123

Our engineer will be signing off the build, i have reached out to him seperately. I am sure we could change the builders spec to 150mm ewi and remove the iwi.

Would solid block with 150mm ewi be perferred approach vs 150 mm cavity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Once properly specified and done to specification, all else being equal, then yes, absolutely. (and not forgetting proper air tight detailing internally)

Advertisement