Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads causing cursor / insertion point to move?

Options
  • 09-10-2023 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Something I've noticed the last while but wasn't able to pinpoint until recently.

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed that sometimes I've been typing replies to posts etc. and when I look up at the screen, there is only the first half of the sentence/paragraph showing. Like I've accidentally clicked outside the 'reply' box or something. I have to click back into the box and finish the sentence.

Almost all the time this has happened, I was on a hybrid laptop/tablet, and assumed it was an anomaly of the tablet's touchscreen, like maybe I was accidentally hitting a different part of the screen or whatever. Today it happened on a desktop PC, so that's not what the cause is.

I tried to replicate the error and the only thing I can see that's causing it is the ads on the right hand side of the screen. These ads play twice or three times, then they kind of refresh or reload and start again. When they reload, the blinking cursor/insertion point disappears from the text box. This is one such ad that seems to be causing it https://c.bannerflow.net/bf-videos/55f6c79ad5dac3f364722874/AJ_Have-a-better-workday_display_office_2.0_300x250-b6772fff06154c48b2ab1ff5fb33a8a7.mp4

So, in the above screenshot I'll be typing away and when the ad in the top right reloads, the blinking cursor disappears from the purple/magenta spot, as if I've clicked on a different part of the screen. It's very annoying, and surely isn't being done on purpose? Not sure if anyone else has noticed it but maybe it isn't as widespread an issue as I've thought. It can be extremely annoying of BOTH ads can cause it to happen (sometimes you get the same ad in both slots etc.)

And it's not as if you can scroll to a different part of the screen as they follow you up and down. The actual amount of screen real estate given over to these ads is disgraceful, but that's another issue altogether. Almost 50% of my screen is taken up by the blank space to the left of "leave a comment" and the equivalent space on the right for the ads.

Is there anything can be done about this? Let me know if I'm not explaining myself well enough.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

Advertisement