Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2024 - The Squeezed Middle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I do think its unfair on parents like you that have 18 year olds in sixth year now, will miss out, and that this is being delayed until September 2024.

That's almost a whole year.

It should have been implemented from 1st January 2024, like most other changes to social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . It's time for them to bite the bullet on college contribution fees . They are penal for a lot of families and definitely put people off along with astronomical accomodation costs .

Noticed nobody has mentioned the strange lack of funding for health in this budget ( somebody did mention mental health services or the lack of them ) .

Looked for 2 billion and got 800 million.

Whatever people say about management etc more beds and staff for them , are needed I think we all can agree .

But the promised 1500 new beds are down to 150 to 160 !

Did SD tread on someones' Lego or what ? It's very strange and not being discussed or questioned much in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Yes. Borrowing 200 billion euro to let defaulters stay in houses owned by bailed out banks for years on end is not okay. They are kicking back, without paying a cent and laughing at young people struggling to rent someone else's house. Kick them out I say and be quick about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's extremely strange it's not getting more discussion, 160 new beds, how are they to be staffed, they are stopping the recruitment of junior doctors, support staff, Health care assistants, they are going to ban tbe use of agency staff, the only recruitment will be nurses and consultants l and social care staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Is €22.5bn a lack of funding? Up from €13.7bn only 10 years earlier.

Throwing more money at the incompetent HSE is not the answer or solution. It's about time they were told to operate within their means and stop seeking bailouts.

Public finance is not a bottomless pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Negotiations are supposed to start soon on a public sector pay deal, did they make any bugetary provision for this?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Not directly.

But they can find €2+ billion for increased social welfare spending and another €2.5 billion for the support of refugees.

But when it comes to giving paying Civil & Public Servants a real pay rise that is not effectively a pay cut?

Watch them argue they can't afford it.

Yeah - I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

How is the number of medical cards issued impacting their budget? Do they get more funding from that? There a huge number of refugees all with medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...hahaha fcuking hell!!! lets kick some older folks out of their homes, that ll sort it all.....

How much has inflation gone up and health costs in 10 years ? Not to mention that budget was extremely below par post crash!

If people can't get a bed or drug treatments in the next year I am sure the questions about why money that was needed for health and disability was squandered by a government looking to keep some of their voters happy.

Yes public finance is not a bottomless pit, but it is to pay for public services, one of them is health.

Not to put money in private landlords' pockets. Or keep the wealthy wealthy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Even if the government had given a bumper amount to health there'll be people who cant get beds/treatments.

Not giving the money is the cheaper option for the same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,975 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Well hey there will be even more in the next few years if they continue not taking inflationary health costs into account .

This by the way us nothing to do with " management " as so many posters like to conflate every request for more health funding with ..it is for beds, and cancer and mmunotherapy treatment drugs , costs of which go up every year . .

There is a running deficit every year which recurs because there is no way to save money except by cutting service . Every body knows this has been ongoing and it was hoped that as there was more money in the coffers for a few years it might be used to good of health , housing , education , you know places that need it ?

However social welfare took more which is fair in the current situation of high cost of living and energy .

Funding needs to be linked with costs and inflation , or services are effectively being reduced year on year .

Landlords ...non means tested benefit ... If public services cannot be funded in line with inflation then people on good salaries with more than one house etc should not be getting handouts . If they have large costs and families , then let them apply and be means tested .

We already have a progressive tax system in this country . The budget was better this year in giving more to the less well off granted but this is the first year ina long time that has happened , and it could be improved next year if they only give targeted benefits and tax credits .

Okay but explain to me how people getting to keep more of their own money is receiving hand-outs? Maybe I'm picking you up wrong here but the government shouldn't have carte blanche to just keep putting it's hand into your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Cause it basically changed sweet FA and didn't do anything to address ghost landlords not registered on the RTB. There are some big claims that there are 100,000 properties not registered with the RTB, and while I don't believe the number is that high, I would imagine its certainly over 20,000. It also has done nothing to tax people sitting on empty properties, of which census data (and now ESB data) shows that there at least 90,000 empty across the country, with the bulk of them in the greater Dublin area.

The same is happening with cars, there are 65,000 cars less than 10 years old for sale at the moment, 54,000 are sitting on dealer forecourts, There is huge supply yet second hand cars prices are nuts and have been for a few years now. There's no economics there. Over 5-10 years of car ownership it's cheaper to buy new than buy second hand.... Again... A small number of people sitting on stock and have it way over priced.

It also has done nothing to tax people sitting on empty properties

eh?

the vacant property tax? It was increased this budget as well.

Thanks for that. I did see they increased the vacant property tax in this budget but I'll admit I don't know much about it. This seems like something that could be tackled in the normal day to day business of the Dail, well a Dail that wasn't made up of a bunch of landlords that is.

I'm with you on the price gouging that's going on in the car market. It's completely nuts at the moment. Unfortunately this is a great little country for ripping people off and that's not going to change anytime soon.

that’s tax fraud?

And also do you not suspect the revenue would have some questions to ask of you?

Such as why is your registered address not your home address for example?

You can claim anything you want in a tax return.

Best of luck to you if you get audited and you've been claiming things you shouldn't have.

There are thousands of not RTB registered tenancies out there, which means the landlord is complying with the law, but the tenant, who is already being severely hit financially, is therefore not eligible to claim the paltry rent tax credit. However plenty are claiming this without the RTB registration number.

Oh yeah?

so when the revenue comes looking for evidence of rent payments made? You don’t seem to have fully thought this through before concluding outrage.

But by all means commit tax fraud and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

They still have to enter an RTB registration number in the tax return. That can easily be verified by Revenue if they want.

The reality is the €500 tax credit (€750 in 2024) is a cheap way to find unregistered landlords who havent declared rental income and recoup many multiples of that in income tax, interest and penalties.

paying in cash with no record of withdrawal?

when they want to speak to the landlord then what?

Look, if you think it’s that easy, god bless. But I’d suggest there’s more than morality at play when people don’t make a habit of defrauding the revenue..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Revenue will just refuse to give you the credit.

What will you do then?

attacking you? I think you misunderstand how discussion forums work.

What I’m doing is asking you a straightforward question which is how do you propose to prove residency at an address which you are claiming of the tax credit for? I’m basically asking why do you think it’s just as simple as picking a random address! 🤣

The revenue audit you and want to see proof you’re renting the place what’s your plan then?

“oh I pay in cash, I get my post delivered to my mammy’s house and I’m a licencee so no lease sure” and you expect the revenue will just go with that?

“ah yea all sounds grand so”, cmon man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

And the vast majority of them will have receipts from their landlords showing the rent paid, along with other proof that they actually live there.

And of those thousands how many are actually living at home and claiming credits they’re not entitled to?

I’ll ask you once more, how will you demonstrate to the revenue you’re renting the room or property when you’re not?

Interestingly as well the revenue claims that if you are renting a room or “digs” the rules are different for you.

In their example, a student renting a room, who also as part of the agreement is provided 3 meals a day.

They’re paying €500 a month

the claimant must deduct the value of meals and board from the amount paid and the credit will reduce accordingly.

You're correct in that statement @[Deleted User]

And I misread the less than/more than 30 days thing 🤦‍♂️

It's the usual "light touch" stuff and "That'll do" attitude. Government will now claim they're attempting to fix the situation but in reality very very little has chnaged.

Not that hard if you actually live there. For one thing you’ll probably have some post with your name on it, cos that’s how adults function.

I didn’t move out and keep having my mail sent to Mammys.. the only people who haven’t got proof they live somewhere are those not living there ;)

• Advertisement

I misread that....

Less than 30 days not more than 30 days 🤦‍♂️

Advertisement