Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a wonderful knife..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Nice to add another Christmas-themed horror film to my annual December viewing schedule, I've watched Black Christmas and Krampus too many times (only if it's good obviously!). The screenwriter also wrote Freaky, so I'm expecting something like that. He also used to do a great horror podcast that I loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jemis

Could you recommend some one for me? I like films related to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Violent Night was good fun last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rare Exports is on my Christmas viewing list every year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Well, you can pick from three (!!!) Black Christmas movies:

Black Christmas 1974 - one of my favourite horror films, a creepy festive (proto-)slasher classic

Black Christmas 2006 - kind of trashy, nasty and mean-spirited, but with good gore and a decent cast

Black Christmas 2019 - not going into the whole debate about the message of the film.

Better Watch Out - I found it infuriating, but many people like it.

Krampus - good fun, great effects and creatures

Gremlins - obviously

Inside (the French one, A l'intérieur) - set on Christmas eve, not very Christmassy (and quite brutal)

The Children (2008) - quite good

P2 - ok psychological thriller

Jack Frost (pure trash)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

36.15 code Père Noël is a French film that may or may not have inspired/been ripped off by Home Alone; it's kinda daft but IMO superior to Home Alone because it's not afraid to acknowledge or play up the scariness of the situation.

I loathed Better Watch Out, once the twist arrives (fairly early on) it had a stench of edgy-for-the-sake-of-edgy that it couldn't shake off, and it wasn't interesting or inventive enough with its direction or plotting to get past that. Felt like someone commissioned a Christmas-themed riff on the Babysitter film from a writer who had no idea what combination of factors made the Babysitter actually work.

Post edited by Fysh on

Totally agree regarding Better Watch Out. I heard about some of the intentions of the director and kind of get what he wanted to do, but it failed completely for me and I found it totally unsatisfying. It seems to get good reviews overall though for some reason.

I don't really like movies that have an edgelord vibe in general, this one seems particularly mean-spirited.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Silent Night, Deadly Night is a semi decent Christmas slasher.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@johnny_ultimate might be worth splitting some of this thread into a separate Festive Horror Recs thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Between this and John Woo's new flick "Silent Night", it's going to be some bloody Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement