Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to hang small shelves on partition wall - what do I need to check?

• 10-10-2023 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There's a partition wall between my living room and bathroom (presumably made of plasterboard). I have a couple of small square shelves I want to hang on this wall, requiring two screws each, but I've no idea where any wiring or anything will be inside the wall. On the wall there's an electric storage heater with a switch on either side. I know the basics that the wiring could be anywhere vertically or horizontally from the switches and I need to avoid those areas. Should the rest of the wall generally be safe for drilling into, assuming building regulations were followed? The apartment was built in 1995 if that makes any difference.

Is there any piece of equipment I should get first to check, such as a stud finder? Hoping not to have to spend too much on any equipment, so if I do need something I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend something relatively inexpensive. I've attached a picture of the shelves, they're just cheap things from Homesavers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Can I just ask if this is a hollow "stud" wall made from plasterboard or a solid block wall?

As long as there aren't any taps or piping on the far side which are also in line area to be drilled, there should not be an issue. If it's a stud wall then you just need to drill into the plasterboard with a suitable drill-bit at the required locations, the plasterboard won't be any more than 15mm or so thick. Use minimum pressure on the drill to ease it into the wall. You don't need to mount light shelves onto a stud, but it does help if you do hit one by chance. Just use a wood-screw instead of plugs on the stud. Don't over.tighten the plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just check for services in bathroom on opposite side of wall and then you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Plasterboard I assume. It's definitely not block as when you knock on it sounds like it's empty (I know it's not actually empty, but that's the best way to describe it). There is a sink on the opposite side of the wall, but the visible piping for that is all going into the ground, so I'm assuming there are no pipes for that actually running up the wall. Thanks for the insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thank you! I actually hadn't even considered the stuff on the opposite side of the wall for some reason. I mentioned in the post above that there is a sink on the opposite side of the wall, but the piping for that is all running into the floor, so I assume that should be fine.

Advertisement