Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterval 2023

Options
  • 10-10-2023 7:13pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Winterval have published their programme of events for 2023, all the old reliables are back, with the Ice Rink moving back down by the Treacys Hotel car park end of the Quay.

https://winterval.ie/events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

It's the flipp'n 10th Oct 😡 No Christmas stuff, close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One of the best things the WCC have come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Boooourns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Brilliant to see it being released at this time so people up and down the country have time to plan. Last year was amazing , here's hoping for another great festival at the most magical time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is that not where the ice rink has been for a few years no? Was sure it was there last year anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Valhalla90

The Quay has looked very dreary the past few years since they removed all the festive lights. They need to be replaced and put back up!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It was directly opposite the Granville last year, where the compound for the building works are now

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Between BAM's compound and the Winterval attractions, that's a huge chunk of Quay parking spaces gone till after Xmas.

Wait till the culchies arrive in on the 8th December for the Xmas shopping - gridlock!! 🫨

Hopefully these car parks will be eventually all gone! Speaking of the Quay it’s very dull again this year without the lights along it. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Well Done.

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/11857670/irish-christmas-market-festival-best-europe-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭decies

Got down to winterval today for first time , to be honest I prefer the original location for same . O Connell street just looks a bit dreary at best of times , I know they want it central but still the offerings from the cabins whether it’s food or merchandise haven’t quite returned to the original . Bought a burger and chips in o Connell street had nowhere to sit and eat it , sat outside granary where nobody else was he told us can’t sit there ( which is his right ) offered to buy teas or what but wasn’t having it . But the biggest disappointment was the quay and bridge it’s like the black hole of Calcutta , who’s responsible for the darkness , remember when the trees in middle of road etc were lit up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Where are the Christmas lights on the Quay? seems to be barely any.

The Quay has looked awful the last few years since they removed the lights along it. Hopefully now with the European capital of Christmas they will get the lights back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Unfortunately the council does not have a good track record in maintaining or replacing Christmas lights.

Patrick St now only has two lights on it which once had six.

The Christmas tree and lights under the roof of the applemarket, never replaced.

The previous lights of the applemarket never re used anywhere else in the town.

They use the excuse how the weather plays it's part in damaging the lights yet Dublin has had and still uses the same lights for the past 30+ years.

I feel we could do so much more with Christmas lighting around the town.

Yeah definitely agree. The quay just looks so miserable at Christmas now since they removed them. I think with this European capital of Christmas there is a massive need for investment and maintenance of the Christmas lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not to mention the usual suspects and wlr clinging onto that award for the media opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

The City of Christmas award and Winterval in general got a very good piece on the Pat Kenny show this morning on NewsTalk. Funny though; Kenny himself sounded incredulous at the idea of Waterford winning this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Its a Dublin thing. very good exposure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Kenny is just being the usual ‘banker’ that he has been for years….!

• Advertisement

Walked around the city last night. Good vibe and was busy. But one point I feel is there is going to be a massive investment needed in the Christmas lighting for next year especially with this Christmas capital designation. A few of the lights on Barronstrand St were out. As for the Quay there is zero Christmas spirit apart from the Wheel.

We went up on the wheel and looking back down on the quay we thought it looked miserable, no lights at all. They planted loads of trees but couldn't be bothered even putting a few fairy lights on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

A widely commented on lack of lights. The Quay is a disgrace. The Mall is smashing if all the lights on City Hall and Bishops Palace are on, but otherwise someone in council dropped the ball. Same old, same old. 4.30pm into the car and off home to someplace outsde the city. Do they even see the need? Is there a plan? Who will implement it? Probably connected with the widespread dissatisfaction from councillors with street lighting maintenance and the contractor who is responsible for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

A simple solution is to even place something similar to the lights on the side of city square to each light pole on the quay. (Peter marks side)

It will be interesting to see if the lights on Patrick St are replaced next seen as only 2 are up this year.

How some sort of lighting is also not in place between Dunne's/Claire's and cafe Nero I'll never know.

It’s a very poor display but they have time to fix it. The Quay needs all the lights out back up it’s nothing short of miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Probably down to works at clock tower…?

and budget restraints…!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

We said the exact same last night, looking up the quay from the top of the wheel was miserable, should be lit up it's perfect for it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Fairy lights on the trees, that's all I ask for. I'd nearly buy them myself and give them, the solar powered ones would even do!

I remember years ago the white draped lights the entire length of the Quay looked great. Also I agree the trees in the medium divide should be lit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement