Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early retirement query

Options
  • 10-10-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for advise for my uncle. Apologies if this is long winded. He's 64, working for a semi state body but currently on sick leave since July (illness is not work related).

As he has 43 years service with a defined benefit pension fully paid up since day one he has decided to retire at the end of this month so will not be returning to work. Had he returned to work he would be retiring August of next year at 65 I understand that his HR office told him that although he's not yet 65 - as he has over 40 years pensionable service he will qualify for his full pension + a lump sum.

His question is will he be entitled to the Social Welfare illness benefit or to draw what he calls his 'stamps' once he retires plus his pension or will he have to wait until he's 65 ?

I should have mentioned that he is currently getting Social Welfare illness benefit which is paid directly to his employer and it's topped up by employer to match his work salary. He was paying into a sick pay scheme and the top up to match his salary is paid out of this sick pay scheme but all is handled by his employer and is limited to a maximum of two months (I think)

Comments

Advertisement