Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Rifle Magazines on a Ryanair flight

Options
  • 10-10-2023 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Looking to buy some rifle mags in the uk as half the price. Would they be allowed on a Ryanair flight from Manchester to Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Remove the word "mags" from your question and you've got your answer. Any component of a firearm is a firearm in Irish law.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ryanair's policy on anything firearms or related is simply NO. That being said and utterly hypothetically of course, as no one would advise or condone lawbreaking. If it was to be put in the hold luggage at Ryanair's exorbitant baggage prices in an unassembled state amongst much clothing or whatever...However,as you have posted on a public forum as to where from and where to.I wouldn't advise it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

On the topic of magazines, the rifle comes with a 5 round magazine but you can buy 10 round magazines. What do you put on the FCA1 application?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yep, I got most of the way through the opening post before realising that they weren't talking about the kind of magazine with words and pictures 🤦‍♂️

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

10 rounds.Thats the MAX capacity for any rifle be it rimfire or centrefire here in Ireland unfortunately. So if 10 rounders are available for that model, that's what she is.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

I thought there was no max in Irish law when it came to restricted rimfire ?

Is there such a creature out there? But yes,it would fit as there is no Irish if it is restricted ,or EU restrictions on .22lr.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I recently got 2 mags delivered from GS Designs in Canada.

I assume they come by plane too. So stripped down and in the check in luggage may be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

Well my 2nd rifle application went in today and I put 10 rounds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Makes sense if you plan on ever buying the 10 round mag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Is he still trading? I contacted him about magazines a couple of times recently and didn't hear back..

Yes, Alex.

I bought Sig mags and an easy loader took only last month.

sales@gsdesigns.ca or alex@gsdesigns.ca

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

On a similar note is there a way to have magazines posted here from usa

Not a good idea. An Post prohibit any firearm component in inbound international mail. As mail from the US now has to have full customs declarations before it is even processed here, there is a very high chance your package would not get through. Quite possibly end up just being returned to the US....., eventually.

Is the USA higher risk than Canada for example?

I bought mags from Canada last month. Paid a post duty and they were listed as 22LR magazines.

Maybe I was lucky?

Same risk. Up until a couple of years ago, postal customs was done visually with little or no reliance on any electronic declarations. Now it's the exact opposite.

You were lucky. Some people still will be but a lot won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pg339

I don't get some of the comments here. Rifle magazines with up to a 10 round maximum capacity are not restricted and are not a component part. As long as you have a license for the calibre, and it is legal to send them in the country you are buying them from, I have never heard of an issue receiving them through the post in Ireland. Riflemags UK will post mags to Ireland no problem. I have had mags sent fron the UK and more recently Germany, fully declared on customs label as 10 shot 22lr magazines. I have checked An Post's policy on prohibited items each time before ordering and see no mention of magazines.

Post edited by pg339 on

The original OP was talking about bringing them via baggage on a Ryanair flight, whether by hold baggage or hand luggage[a VERY bad idea],not by mailing them from the UK.which can be done and you don't mind finding the correct customs declaration [TARIQ] number and paying duty on it from the UK.

I have checked An Post's policy on prohibited items each time before ordering and see no mention of magazines.

True,because you are not shipping the items by AnPost.AP is carrying the items that were cleared by Royal Mail.So if RM has no problem shipping magazines or other components,then AP or any other mail carrier will do likewise.Where it becomes sticky is when AP delivers this to customs and Excise in Ireland and they decide whether to release the parcel with a customs fee,or hold it as its suss to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pg339

I was not referring to the OP's question. My post is about "some of the comments here"

Advertisement