Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do I keep getting duped??

• 10-10-2023 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 Fergsmom

I am finding it very difficult to find an honest person who is selling a car. I am a nursing student who needs reliable transport to get to work. Due to my student status right now, I cannot afford a new or newish car so have been looking on places like done deal and market place. I have bought a few vehicles, with the last one, NCTd and was advised as good to go. I have it for 6 months and the floor is literally falling apart, like Fred Flinstone style and with rust patches EVERYWHERE underneath. Today i was driving in town and the brakes failed! I ended up hitting the car in front of me! There's no way this vehicle could have passed the last NCT with the amount of things wrong with it. Can anyone advise me on how to get smart when trying to buy a second hand car, I'm really fed up! Thanks for any suggestions ✌️

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good brand

Service history

Buy from the long term owner, if small money avoid small time dealers

Dont go for the cheapest ones

Get somebody who knows cars to help you buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bring a trusted friend with you, someone who knows a bit about cars.

Just because something has an NCT six months ago, dosen't mean it won't give any trouble or need maintenance for the next six months.

Lastly, private sellers mean "buyer beware".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Go to a well known dealer (business , not a private seller).

Car dealer, not any other kind of dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Car dealers of any kind aren't to be trusted. My last car had a "full service" when I got it, front shock was leaking dangerously and the car kept warning that the oil wasn't right the warning only went away when I changed the oil. The car was from a fairly big dealer!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whilst dealers aren't to be trusted, there are legal comebacks there that don't exist with a private sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've bought all of my cars through dealers, and with one exception early on in my purchasing history, never really had any issues.

I did once have a service manager try to charge me for extra work I didn't authorise and who was refusing to release the car until I did, but a call to the sales guy I bought it from and then the MD sorted that out so that all I ended up paying for was the rental for the day and the cost of a basic service.

But you need to research the dealer as much as the car. Look for reviews on their Google maps link, on sites like this etc.

One dealer, after a little pushing, refunded me in full (including motor tax I'd spent on the car) and returned my trade in when he couldn't repair an injector fault 3 weeks into the deal.

The last one was one of the Naas road dealers (always seen as a place to avoid) but the car itself was perfect and exactly as described. Would buy from again.

But I agree with the above. With private sellers you have zero comeback once you take the car. While you might need to push a dealer to live up to the deal occasionally, you have that option and legal recourse as well if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

how much did OP spend on this car ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sorry for your bad luck OP. Hopefully your next car will be better. You can check if a car has a valid NCT here:

This is an old thread but the advice in it is still relevant today.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056198864/buying-a-used-car-in-ireland-guide/p1

The odd car comes up here from Boardsies too

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058076324/boardsies-own-or-family-friends-cars-for-sale#latest

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry about your problems.

You are kind of getting tough advice here telling you to avoid all dealers and private sellers.

Most people selling a car private or dealer are genuine but the bad ones give everyone a bad name.

Ask around family, friends, work colleagues etc. and look for a recommendation.

I know families going into three generations doing business with sound people in the motor trade.

The good guys are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I think it's best to look at cars with no more then 2 previous owners. If more then 2 it could be a lemon. Service history is key. Also I was also told buy from a lady owner preferably. They look after their cars better 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In things that never happened... and threads that are made up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

If its of any help I'm currently putting a car back on the road. Its going for nct on Saturday, I'm awaiting parts so it'll either go in and fail as is or the parts arrive on time and it'll be a pass on the first go. Money will be small and it's nothing fancy but might suit. It's a 2004 Skoda Octavia 1.4l petrol, 140k km, good history.

Rear brakes need to be done, needs an oil change and a good clean. These will either be done before the nct or after regardless of pass or fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

4 matching known brand tyres and tax bought by the year would be great indicators of a car worth buying.

I was just about to reply the same, I don't know any woman in my family that would even know when it was even due a service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The "lady owner" is bollo*ks. It was created years ago based on women driving slower than men. In reality women a lot of women have very little interest in looking after the car or servicing etc. You will find men will service, keep records of service etc all with the purpose of keeping resale value. I have yet to see a women out on a Sunday washing and buffeting their car, buying products to make it shine etc. Not saying they don't exist just I haven't seen.

In fact if I see a person saying "women owner" on a car on done deal I will look at others, just rings of some dodgy character behind it.

Trying to get a car with only 2 owners seriously restricts the market and also you need a very hefty budget. The number of owners doesn't mean a car is a lemon or not. Having an owner and then quickly swapping it would be more of a sign and that could still fall into the 2 owner bracket. Most people keep cars for circa 2 years so a car with multiple owners but keeping for a period would show an inidication the car has run well. Along with service history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A car with a rusted out floor and no brakes? Sounds like the op bought it in the 80's rather than done deal.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You need someone to come with you

Or get a family member/friend who might be a mechanic

Or I sold a car before and the buyer had me bring to a centre and they done a full check over the car and gave him the thumbs up!! I had no problem bringing it over because I knew the car was perfect.

What sort of budget are you looking at? what sort of driving are you doing etc?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When buying a secondhand car either from a dealer or a private sale, you should always bring someone who is competent to look at the car properly. It is also prudent to do a quick search online for common issues even on www.parkers.co.uk or www.honestjohn.co.uk. Do a cartell check on it also. If buying from a dealer, find out exactly what their warranty covers as generally they will cover as little as possible.

For most people, a car is the second most expensive purchase they will ever make after a property purchase. You would be crazy to think it is appropriate to spend a lot of hard earned money without doing some kind of due diligence to make sure that you don't buy a money pit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

….

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭M3CS

When you sign the logbook and register as the third owner does the car automatically turn into a lemon there and then? Or do you have to wait a couple of weeks?

Advertisement