Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental Germany

Options
  • 11-10-2023 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

I'll be heading to Germany for 3 nights in March and will need to rent a car in Munich.

Just wondering what are the companies I should look towards and the ones to avoid ?

Will also be taking the car across the boarder into Austria so need to go with somewhere that will allow that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

3 nights In March… you’re well prepared eh, that’s 6 months in advance.

Use the usual ones available at the airport. Avis, europcar, hertz etc.

You should have no problem with crossing borders on mainland Europe in rental cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

The big suppliers are all fine in Germany but make sure you video the car in full before driving away. Lots of pictures also. Especially the roof and bonnet and wheels. Each has saved me on occasion from a claim by Avis on return. The video shuts down the conversation immediately.

Crossing borders is not always a given. Budget wouldn’t let me cross from Germany into France as it voided the policy.

Don’t buy additional insurance outside of standard. Maybe a excess cover from here at most.

I tend to get free upgrades when I specify a automatic. This is mainly due to lack of supply. Might not be in your budget but don’t be afraid to ask at the desk for a different car at the same price if you don’t like the first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the cross border policies should be readable when making the booking, whether direct or via a broker. Budget are a funny shower anyhow. IIRC a friend of mine needed something insane like 5grand block on a credit card to take a car from them, and they wouldnt accept multiple cards, thus forcing you to pay for full insurance. With stories like that, I am happy to stick with the likes of Hertz who arent the cheapest but I have never had an issue with them.

The damage thing, defo make a video BUT the new procedure at Munich airport is that THEY make a video and measure it with lasers as the car departs and when it arrives back , so it would be interesting if they find damage on return to have a battle of the videos to see who is right.

https://www.business-travel.de/auto-scanner-am-flughafen-muenchen-findet-mietwagen-schaeden/53555/

I addition, I got stung at Munich airport once with avis on accepting a paid upgrade offer at the counter, as the price they had quoted sounded ok for getting my hands on quite a nice car but then then they added another 20 or 30% for an airport surcharge AND then 19% Vat on the combination of that on top again. The lesson to be learned, I will ask the next time if thats the upgrade price incl. vat and other charges . Any time I did an upgrade with enterprise, when they said €20 per day or whatever then it was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 miafricker

I would go with the Sixt probably. If you go to Austrian highway, make sure that you have a vignette. Of course it can be arranged in advance , here for example https://vignettetoll.eu. It is much easier than paying proper fine and i am talking from my own experience here.

Post edited by miafricker on

Advertisement