Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs with Dublin Street Names

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Take me up to Monto, monto, monto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Watling Street is referenced twice in the novel:

"Portobello, Equadocta, Therecocta,Percorello; he pours into the softclad shellborn the hard cash earned in Watling Street; his birth proved accidental shows is death its grave mistake"

No mention of the other permutations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tibruit

"Up"....from that gem of a movie that is "Sing Street".

"Up to the stars she shows me,

Dame Street, George`s Street miles below me,

Up where the world won`t let us down."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, 'under clery's clock' by the radiators; burgh quay is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Daffodil Mulligan mentions Francis Street by name, and The Coombe

Lankum had a good version on their first album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Fun thread.

Few more

The Five Lamps boys were comin on strong - Rat Trap

In Stoneybatter and Patrick's Close, up and aound the Glouster Diamond and down by Napper Tandy's house - The Spanish Lady

And a real favourite - Of "Grafton Street and Durby Square", and those of whom I care, and you, in Dublin - Thin Lizzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Another one from The Dubliners. Two streets mentioned in this one, Clarendon Street and Eden Quay

Skipping rope still turning, children at their play

In and out of Clarendon Street, in and out to pray

Me uncle had a wolfhound that never had to pee

'til Hairy Lemon snatched it down on Eden Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The Dying Rebel

The night was dark and the fight was over

The moon shone down O’Connell Street

I stood alone where brave men perished

Those men have gone their God to meet

My only son was shot in Dublin

Fighting for his country bold

He fought for Ireland and Ireland only

The Harp and Shamrock, Green, White and Gold

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Not sure if there are any streets mentioned it it, but The Night Before Larry was Stretched (Elvis Costello and many others did versions of it) was written in Dublin slang back in the 18th century. The architect and famous song collector Frank Harte (1933 - 2005) had an album named Dublin Street Songs (1967), more of which can be found here: https://www.topicrecords.co.uk/2015/05/frank-harte-dublin-street-songs-tsdl172/

Also, Colm Ó Lochlainn's two famous books on Irish street ballads, Irish Street Ballads (1939) and More Irish Street Ballads (1965), would be a great resource to find. Here's a list of the songs mentioned in the former: https://www.ibiblio.org/keefer/op01.htm#Oloccol

UCD has now digitalised a lot of the sources Ó Lochlainn's work was based upon and they can be read here: https://digital.ucd.ie/view/ivrla:6022

The Mudcat Café.org website is a fantastic source for everybody who is interested in traditional songs, their origins, meanings and versions. You can ask questions on it about this sort of thing and there's usually plenty of people knowledgable enough to answer.

Lastly, An Góilín Traditional Singers' Club meets every Friday evening in Club na Múinteoirí on Parnell Square and there will always be Dublin songs performed there, with a few notable singers who focus on that genre and would be very helpful for this topic.

https://goilin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

When Joxer went to Stuttgart, according to Christy Moore, "In Germany the autobahn, 'twas like the Long Mile Road"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

"Up went Nelson in old Dublin

All along O'Connell Street the stones and rubble flew...."

Advertisement