Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving main ESB feed into house

Options
  • 11-10-2023 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We're doing some renovation work on a 1970s detached bungalow.

There was an extension added in the 90s - We have now knocked this wall through (which would have been the exterior wall originally) to connect the old extension and the house. The main feed was on that section of wall coming up from the ground and into the fuse board, and now its in the middle of the room.

I'v been told that this needs to be rerouted by the ESB themselves, and also may need to be moved to a separate box on the outside of the house - Can anyone clear this up? I'm trying to get hold of an electrician to clear this up but want to get a second opinion before I start trying to contact the ESB

Hope this makes sense, any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Daughter had a similar job done a couple of years ago. Fortunately for her, the wire was overhead and therefore easily moved. An electrician did everything for her, including liaising with Electric Ireland. It took them about two months to complete it, and the job itself took less than a day.

Get an electrician as soon as possible. He'll have to reconnect your internals to the box in the new location. That could potentially be quite disruptive and that's without taking into account whatever the ESB need to do. The good news is that he' ll have plenty of time to do the prep work.

Now the good news, I think my daughter's case was just bad luck, as others I've heard of weren't anything as bad (ie Electric Ireland were really quick).

I'm not an electrician just a nosey Dad 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Similar situation here. Internal meter currently installed. Want to get this relocated to a nearby external wall. Consumer unit can stay where it is.

Will esb change entire run from pole to do this or just redirect cable?

Cable from pole is 1970s so probably not up to current specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Here's how they did my daughter's.

The electrician stripped out all the existing wiring, then installed a new consumer unit in the hall on the external wall. He then fitted a meter box on/in the external side of that wall and ran a cable from that to the consumer unit in some trunking.

The old meter was still inside on the same wall. it was connected to some 'tails' that went out through the wall and from there up to a pair of insulators just beside the eaves. these tails were then connected to two flying leads connected to those insulators. These two leads 'flew' to the next door neighbours gable wall, and from there on to the big ESB pole on the footpath.

So, when the ESB came, they simply disconnected the old tails from the old meter and disconnected them from the flying overhead pair. All they had to do now was fit the meter in the new meter box and then run two new tails from the overhead flying leads. All this was done in an afternoon. But it took them a couple of months to come and do it.

As in your case, this is a 1970's house.

Advertisement